OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon BDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dussy69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon BDC
    Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:08
Okay... Monster brought this up...  I am looking at getting a .17HMR and he suggested a Nikon Team Primos scope with BDC...  How accurate would the lines be with a .17?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:21
Why don't you ask me these questions!? I'll look it up for you.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Dussy69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dussy69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:22
Trying to get my posts up and thought you were at school already...
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:37
School is cancelled. I guess when the city cancels school, we can't have it either.?

Near as I can figure the circles should hit at 163, 213, 254, 306, 348 if you zero for 100. You would only be .1 in. high at 50 yards.

These are figures for the scope being on 9x.

This is the scope I was telling you that RD put on his gun. I have one here if you want to look at one. To me they are the best value in that price range by far.

Edited for stupidity.

Edited by trigger29 - February/26/2009 at 18:10

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 20:23
I was going to use a Nikon BDC reticle on my 17 HMR but I chose not to because I was concerned that when holding off for the wind, the thick stadia/reticles at the 3:00 & 9:00 position would cover up my target (mostly ground squirrels).  now, if the thin cross hairs are wider at the 3 & 9:00 positions, I'd reconsider. 

I routinly shoot those little pest at 200 yds and beyond, but on windy days (and most are) you have to hold off for the wind.

HTH
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 22:31
Here's the optic i put on rimfires these days--

Steve
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 11:13
OOps I think that post qualifies as you can't be related to Bigdaddy................Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 21:02
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

I was going to use a Nikon BDC reticle on my 17 HMR but I chose not to because I was concerned that when holding off for the wind, the thick stadia/reticles at the 3:00 & 9:00 position would cover up my target (mostly ground squirrels).  now, if the thin cross hairs are wider at the 3 & 9:00 positions, I'd reconsider. 

I routinly shoot those little pest at 200 yds and beyond, but on windy days (and most are) you have to hold off for the wind.

HTH

I was thinking the same thing that the thickness of the reticles (circles) of the BDC might not be good for small game. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 05:27
Nah, the BDC reticle works fine on small targets.
Here's a varmint target @ 300 yards with my .308 and the BDC.  

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 09:31
Yeh but dude that's not the same as the real thing , things can be different?   Big Grin
Dussy69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dussy69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 11:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Nah, the BDC reticle works fine on small targets.
Here's a varmint target @ 300 yards with my .308 and the BDC.  

That's nice and everything but I am asking about a .17 HMR...  not a .308 I know the BDC works fine with them.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 11:59
Do you mean the trajectories of the 17 or just over all .....if the latter bullet holes are all the same just different sizes.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 12:11
The Nikon BDC, like most other bullet drop compensated reticles, is generic.
Meaning, you will have to shoot them in using YOUR caliber and YOUR loads to confirm where the bullet impact is. You can easily accomplish this by splitting the circles.

Dussy69 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dussy69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 12:14

I guess I wanted to know how the BDC would work with a .17 and if there is any scopes that would be a good investment with a drop comp on it that would work for a .17 in around a $150 range.  I don't know if I really want to get the BSA Sweet 17 or the Barska 17 HMR scopes...

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 12:56
I've been happy with this scope.  It's not quite as clear as my team primos, though.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9039-203-burris-3-9x40-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.aspx
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 12:19
I don't know what you'll be using your .17(hmr?) for but they are pretty flat shooting out to 100 yards and a little farther. I just use a 3X9 with basic plex reticle on mine for hunting and it does well for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic