OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

toughest scopes under a grand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracker12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 20:06
I have a Leupold 2.5 X 8 X 32 on my encore and it has 1500+ shots thru it with no problems.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 20:07
 I would like to have someone explain the physics behind the notion that a muzzleloader is harder on scopes than a centerfire of comparable power/weight.
 Not suggesting that it isn't true, just never really heard it presented well.
 I can understand  the concept of a spring-piston airguns' reciprocating "snap" shaking things up, but don't see why a muzzleloader would.
 Anyone care to explain the "WHY"?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 22:37
8442 New Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope                                                                       New Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC 250
  • 1"
SWFA: $239.95
More Info... Buy Now

8443 New Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope                                                                       New Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
  • Realtree APG
  • BDC 250
  • 1"
SWFA: $249.95
More Info... Buy Now
Now for the rest of the story.  Muzzleloaders having significant recoil do well with scopes that have lots of eye relief - that is unless you like the black eye thing consider that factor.  This has 5 inches of eye relief.
Up until the last few months nobody made a balistic reticle in the power range that you really need for hunting right before dark  6x42 scopes have a 7mm exit eye pupil --- similarly at 5x you need at least 35 mm and this has it, and that is where you need to be in those low light moments where bambi is most active.  Scopes with a balistic reticle in the second focal plane only work for known hold over at the maximum power of the scope.  While I cant say that the glass in the Omega is anything to write home about they do kill deer,  At least it kills deer for me every year. Congratualations on having the smokeless set up.  I thought about it but load info was a little hard to find when they first came out.  I have had very good luck with TC muskets.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/25/2009 at 22:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 07:32
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I would like to have someone explain the physics behind the notion that a muzzleloader is harder on scopes than a centerfire of comparable power/weight.
 Not suggesting that it isn't true, just never really heard it presented well.
 I can understand  the concept of a spring-piston airguns' reciprocating "snap" shaking things up, but don't see why a muzzleloader would.
 Anyone care to explain the "WHY"?

I also can't understand why the recoil on a muzzleloader would be any different from a centerfire but keep in mind that  shooting 300 grain bullets with 60-75 grains of powder to 2300-2450 fps will produce enough recoil to jar your teeth.  Some of us shoot 1000-2000+ shots per year (mostly at paper) and that tends to be rather hard on rifle scopes.

The Savage 10ML and their custom made counterparts are no ordinary muzzleloaders in that they are capable of using "smokeless" powder.  The same powder used in case loads.  The Savage having a 50 caliber bore is capable of shooting 250-300+ grain projectiles at light speed with long range accuracy.   NO SMOKE, NO CLEANING, FAST SHOOTING.  Recoil might be considered to be somewhat as would be experienced with fast shooting loads in the .458 Lott.   This type of shooting is nothing new and has been around for some time and is safe.  Loads have been pressure tested by the Strain Guage method and usually don't exceed 60,000 psi with 45,000-50,000 psi being the usual.
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
HiTechTactical View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiTechTactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 18:48
I always thought a used Leupold was pretty good for the money.  It still carries its lifetime warranty.  There are plenty of good cheap scopes to choose from since China up'd it's game.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 10:23

My friend has a 3-9x40 Sightron SI on his Savage ML.He said it was the best scope for $100 he ever spent.He looked at the Leupold Rifleman and VXI and Nikon Pro Staff he said the Sightron was clearer and Leupolds felt like they were cheap.He has fired hundreds of rounds without any problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic