OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sightron riflescope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sightron riflescope
    Posted: February/23/2009 at 19:56
I  was looking at the 3x12x42 sightron sii bigsky  riflescope and I  notice that it don't have a adjustable objective on it/ I thought anything over 10 power ,you  would need to set the parrallex  on it, if it was on 11 or12 power to get a clear picture/ i notice on some others sightrons sii  bigsky they have the adjustable objective on it in the 3x12x42 magnifications/what going on here.
countryboy appreciates
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:09
  For general hunting of big game you don't need,some say don't even want,parallax adjustments on the scope. For the shooting of small targets,varmints,paper,etc,yea. I hunted for 20+ yrs with a scope with an A/O and for large game I'd set it on 150yds and leave it. Used the A/O for groundhogs and load development. Some say that it's just something else to go wrong,which may be true but mines an '85 model scope and the only problem was that one time the A/O ring tightened up. Just depends on what you use the scope for mainly.
   By the way,that's a GOOD choice of scope your thinking on!

Edited by 300S&W - February/23/2009 at 20:11
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 07:46
SIIB31242AO New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                             New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • $50.00 Mail in Rebate (expires 12/31/2009)
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $519.95
More Info... Buy Now
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 07:54
Leupold also makes a 4.5-14  with AO and without AO
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 09:04

Using an AO on scopes above 10x is only a general suggestion, not an optical rule. A lot depends on the use of the scope.

About six years ago I went on a prairie dog shoot with a couple of guys from a rifle company. One of their rifles had a 5-15x scope without an AO, made by a very famous European optics company, because one of the rifle guys was a big fan of their products.

I used the rifle for a little while, and had no diffculty hitting prairie dogs out to abot 250 yards. But beyond that the dogs seemed to be protected by a force-field. Finally I placed he rifle on a rest and checked for parallax. At 350 yards it had around a foot of parallax.

The reason for this is that the scope was not designed for prairie dog shooting. Instead iot was designed to shoot German deer from stands at night, and the ranges would never be more than 250 yards or so. Thus the parallax at longer ranges was not a concern to the designers.

If you do purchase a scope to be used at longer ranges, you chould check out the parallax at longer ranges. I have even encountered some 3-9x scopes that have 4" or so of parallax at 400 yards when set on 9x. This isn't enough to make us miss an elk, but could make for some frustrating prairie dog shooting.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 09:27

I use the AO for target or varmint shooting.All my hunting rifles are without AO.I used a Leupold AO Vari X III 6-18 which was mounted on a Remington 700 7mm mag back in 1992.This rifle was bought when I was new to the sport and the salesman said the scope was the best scope you could ever use for all your shooting needs.I missed a couple deer at close in 75 yards shots trying to adjust the AO.

Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 09:40
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Finally I placed he rifle on a rest and checked for parallax. At 350 yards it had around a foot of parallax. 
 I have even encountered some 3-9x scopes that have 4" or so of parallax at 400 yards when set on 9x.

So when looking at a scope for a specific purpose, what rule or method can we use to guide us in this matter? ie. fixed parallax 3x9 = 400 or less, 4.5x14 = ? or less, or beyond
x yds. have parallax adjustment. I very much see the application because that may be why I didn't tag the ole "hog house buck" this past season. Everything checked out after the shot to be accurate, so was it me? I just don't think so. We all know that feeling, when you know it was right. Maybe parallax gives me an excuse, but maybe it tells me since I forgot to adjust parallax for 500yds I had little chance.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 09:53
I wouldn't suggest any firm rules, and didn't. I have seen other 3-9x scopes of the same model that didn't have any noticeably parallax at 9x at 400 yards.

Even with modern CNC machinery, scopes will differ slightly from each other. This is why one 3-9x scope may last a thousand rounds or more on a .300 magnum, and an "identical" scope may fall apart after less than 40 rounds.

What I have always suggested is that shooters learn how to make their OWN comparisons with optics, as much as possible. This include checking them for excessive parallax, or any other possible flaws. These occur, sometimes even in the very best scopes. I was just talking to a custom riflemaker friend of mine, a very well-known guy who makes a lot of hard-kicking rifles. He finally ordered a Nightforce to test his longer-range rifles, and the first rifle he tested started two-grouping at 300 yards. And yes, it was the scope. They fixed it immediately, and had already located a slight problem in some scopes within a certain serial number range. But it happened. My friend could probably buy another 100 Nightforce scopes and never have a problem--but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic