OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon EDII - what's wrong (from Newbie)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon EDII - what's wrong (from Newbie)
    Posted: February/23/2009 at 19:47
I am new to the forum and can maybe get some education about my spotting scope usage.  I bought a Nikon Fieldscope EDII a couple of years ago at the local Audubon Center.  My plan was to use it for birding.  We live in a natural setting with a large selection of birds.  I set up the Nikon on a (cheaper) tripod in the living room in front of a large picture window with a view of wetlands.  That is the good part......

I have never gotten any level of comfort using the scope.  I find it really difficult to focus in on my subject without trying to locate it without the scope first.  When I find the subject, I can really get close for a good view but only after a struggle finding it.  Someone told me I need a spotting scope and not a Fieldscope.  I was told this scope is for a camera.

Can anyone help me with this?  I really want to use the scope but am frustrated with it.  Thanks.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 21:28
That "someone" doesn't know what they're talking about.  Ignore them.

The Nikon Fieldscope is a spotting scope.  Fieldscope is just a clever name they came up with to distinguish their high-end line from other spotting scopes.

What you need is practice.  That's all.  There's no magic. The more you practice getting "on target" with your spotter, the easier it will become.

By the way, are you sure you have a "Fieldscope ED II?"  I don't believe it ever came as an ED model.  Perhaps you actually have a Fieldscope III ED?

Edited by lucznik - February/23/2009 at 21:32
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 06:01
1. Put a newspaper or cereal box or something at 100 yards away. You should be able to read very easily and the letters should be very sharp (the 1" letters). Vehicle license plates should be sharp and easy to read at 200 yards or more.
2. If step 1 is true, practice, practice, practice. I mean, use that scope.
3. I am guessing that you have a zoom eyepiece. The zoom eyepieces for Fieldscopes are sharp and bright, but have a narrow field of view. If finances permit, try a 20x WA eyepiece. You will be pleasantly surprised by the improved image quality (they are sharper and brighter than the zooms). With a field of view much wider than the zoom, the 20x WA eyepiece will allow you to find subjects faster and easier.
4. If step 1 is not true, you need eyeglasses or you need to send the scope to Nikon for repair.

Edited by anweis - February/24/2009 at 06:03
rancocasrich View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 08:00
Folks,  That is a good start for me.  Thanks so much for your suggestions.  It is giving me some hope. I really want to like and to use the scope. I will work on the ideas today. 

I have a Nikon Fieldscope ED2.  I have an eyepiece that is a Nikon (Japan) with numerals 60 20-45x  and 78 25-56x   On the lens is the code D=60  P.  Can you tell me what the codes are?

The tripod is OK but inexpensive.  Does that matter much?

Where do I price a wide angle eyepiece?  What do I need to know to buy the eyepiece? I am in the Philadelphia (USA) suburbs and there is a shop downtown that sells scopes.  Is there a site on line?

Thanks.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 09:32
Fieldscope pieces (various models) should work on all Fieldscopes (various models and sizes); the magnification of an eyepiece will depend on the size of the Fieldscope. 
 Large store that cater to birders usually have them, or fleabay.
Do your homework carefully.
For about $130 you will find nice Manfrotto tripods.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 09:42
Originally posted by rancocasrich rancocasrich wrote:

I have a Nikon Fieldscope ED2. 
That's interesting.  I didn't think the Fieldscope II ever came in an ED model.  Well, once again, you learn something new every day...

I have an eyepiece... with numerals 60 20-45x  and 78 25-56x  
This means that with a 60mm objective lens the magnification range is 20-45x and with a 78mm objective lens the magnification range becomes 25-56x.

On the lens is the code D=60  P. 
Tells you that the diameter of your objective lens is 60mm.

I'm not sure what the P stands for.  It would not mean "phase corrected" as the Fieldscope is a porro prism optic and so; doesn't require/recieve phase coatings.

The tripod is OK but inexpensive.  Does that matter much?
It can.  You need your tripod to be stable enough that it holds your scope steady.  Cheap scopes often can't do that very well.

Where do I price a wide angle eyepiece?  What do I need to know to buy the eyepiece?
First you need to find out if your Fieldscope II takes the same eyepieces as the more-current Fieldscope III.  They may, but I don't know.  Perhaps someone else here can answer that.  If it does, then you just need to talk to a dealer of Nikon scopes.  SWFA would be a good choice.  If it doesn't, then you might have to check look at dealers of used scopes, pawn shops, and of course, ebay.

Edited by lucznik - February/24/2009 at 09:44
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 11:48
Fieldscope eyepieces work on all fieldscopes as far as i know - but not in other series of scopes, such as Sky and Earth, Prostaff, EDG, etc. The larger the scope, the more magnification out of the eyepiece. The problem is, i can't see anywhere an eyepiece that would give you 20x-30x wide angle in your 60mm scope.
Nikon is known for bottlenecks in their supplies. Now they seem poised on introducing their new line of EDG binos and scopes. There are 20x WA digiscoping eyepieces out there, but they don't have a rubber eye ring - just a groove for attaching the camera.  

Edited by anweis - February/24/2009 at 11:55
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 11:54
OK. I found out. The digiscoping eyepieces come supplied with eyecups for eye observation.
You may want to try the #7460 Eyepiece (20x in 60mm) or #7460 (24x in 60mm).

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 12:27
Anweis,  I really appreciate you help.  Where do I find the eyepiece #7460?  are there 2? one 20X and one 24X?  I am a total newby in this area. Thanks
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 12:48
Just google "Nikon MC Series Eyepiece #7462".  
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 12:52
The Bogen/Manfrotto 128RC/190XB tripod kit would be just fine for stable views.

Good luck.  Have fun.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 20:43
I see the #7462 for about $200.00 +/-   On Ebay the 7464 can be bought for $110.00.  It is item 140294448644

Is the 7464 similar?  Am I saving money if I buy it or spending bad money?

Thanks again
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 06:59
#7462 will give you a wide angle 24x magnification in your 60mm scope. That is about what you want. They are commonly sold for $100-150.
The #7464 will give you 40x magnification in your scope. That is too much power and not enough field of view for a fixed power eyepiece.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 16:02
I am tracking a 7462 eyepiece.  I set up signs at 100 yards and 50 yards and am doing well practicing with my scope.  I have new confidence and am anticipating my new eyepiece.  I am hugely appreciative of your help and suggestions.  Any further opinions are welcome and encouraged. Thanks so much.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 21:48
Was able to find and buy the #7462 w/a Nikon eyepiece on EBay.  I look forward to getting it and trying it with my fieldscope.  Thanks for the help.  Is there a camera adaptor for the scope?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:36
Let us know how the wide angle low power piece works. 
Yes, there are digiscoping adapters out there. I don't use any.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 16:29
The eyepiece arrived today.  It is very nice and Nikon.  I am very happy with it.  I can see so much more and everything clearly.  I look forward to using my scope finally.  Thanks so much for the help.  It is greatly appreciated.  If you are ever in the Philadelphia area, I work as a tour guide and will take you on a tour as a thank you.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 18:09
This was interesting to follow and it had a happy ending, good work guys.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancocasrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:43
The Optics forum folks have been a big help for me.  Now, I think I will try to get a better tripod to use with my scope.  I am trying to stay around $100.00.  I realize there is a section here for tripods but I figured it fits here because of the whole package I am building.  I may also post on the tripod forum.  Any help is appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic