OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 3-9x40 vs. 3200?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 09:18
jason, the 2.5-10 was in the first line-up when these scopes were introduced bearing the Bausch & Lomb label. The 1.5-6 was dropped a couple of years ago because it was not a popular seller for them. The 3-9 was introduced last being only a few years old. The Bausch & Lomb versions were introduced in the mid-90's and are basically identical to the 4200 with the exception of the Rainguard coatings. The Bausch & Lomb versions were labeled as the 3000 and 4000 at first, and they were the first to put Rainguard coatings on and changed the scope models to 3200 and 4200. Somewhere in the late 90's the name changed from Bausch & Lomb to Bushnell. The scopes are still made in the same factory in Japan to this day.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/23/2009 at 09:28
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 09:21
what led them to the recoil ratings, to be honest with you i would say it was there way of telling people this is a serious scope, bushnell and tasco both had reputations of being cheap scopes that frequently failed, the new bushnell lineup isnt anything like that now. leupold does this stuff too, but to the best of my knowledge leupold doesnt devulge what kind of force or quantity that they apply to there scopes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 11:34
The 3200 is a fine scope nice quality and built strong.The 4200 has better optics and stronger tube.I see plenty of 3-9x40 3200 firefly scopes for sale less than $180 and own both scopes which work fine. 
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:33
Alright, thanks a bunch guys.  One more question though, does anyone have any experience with the firefly reticle?  Seems kinda gimmicky.  Also, is it still black in normal conditions?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:48
Looks like any other reticle when it is not "charged". I haven't used the glow feature yet while hunting. Never needed to because the design makes it very visible in any low light hunting scenario I've come across.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:51
Yes it stays black when not charged. I never have used mine with a glowing charge to it because it stays so black it is very easy to see in low light and against dark backgrounds. It stays as black if not darker than a Zeiss Etched Z-plex and even during the daytime I dont see any reflection of the wire reticle because of the luminecent coating on the reticle wire. It is however a very heavy reticle...I wish they made it just a little less thick.
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 21:37
1000 rounds of .375 is still a pounding that a lot of other scopes would probably fail at.  I'm sure even if it would do 10000, it's best to have a differentiation to help justify the price difference for the 4200.  I would love to see some recoil testing for comparison between some manufacturers to see what is really tough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic