OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 3-9x40 vs. 3200?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 3-9x40 vs. 3200?
    Posted: February/22/2009 at 21:50
So I was wondering what exactly the differences are.  I would assume the 4200 probably has better lens coatings and erectors, but what else is there?  They use what appears to be the exact same tube.  Also, I just looked at a brand new 3200 today that says Japan on the underside.  I was thinking the 4200 was made in Japan and that the 3200 probably wasn't; looks like I was wrong. 

On a related side note, I had another thread asking about scopes for my grandpa's .338 that I was given.  I think I've narrowed it down to the 3200.  Unless for some reason anyone here thinks it might not stand up to the recoil.  In that case, I'd probably either get a Fullfield II or step up to the 4200. 

Honestly, I wish Bushnell still made the 1.5-6x36 Elite 4200.  They can still be found, but not very cheap.  If only I could find one second-hand...
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 21:55
The  3200 and the Burris II are about equal the 4200 is a major step up if you can afford it go that route you will be very happy!
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:20
I know that the 4200 is a step up.  I just wanted to know specifically what all the differences are.  The 3200 seems like a nice scope, and can be had quite a bit cheaper.  I don't think extra lens coatings are worth the money to me.  However, if a 3200 might not be durable, then I'd be looking at other options; one of which is the 4200.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:27
As for durability they rank very close as for optical better glass and coatings you can get a 3x9x40 4200 for around $289.95 you cant go wrong there.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:38
jason, check the recoil ratings between the 3200 and 4200 series. The tubes on the 4200 are made from a stronger alloy and they are 1 pc compared to the 3200 which are not. Specifically, if you look at the saddle on the 4200 you can see that it is integral and the 3200 is glued/epoxied to the main tube.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:49
Roy Finn I don't mean to knit pick but the 3200 and 4200 are one piece construction check it out:

http://www.swfa.com/c-184-bushnell-elite-3200-rifle-scopes.aspx
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:55
Take a close look at the saddle on both.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/22/2009 at 22:59
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:59
Yea i see that but they state that they are putting they are a one piece. The 3200s just have the turret housing glued ones apposed to the 4200 that is all one machined piece....

Edited by Monster - February/22/2009 at 23:00
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:01

I've noticed that about the new 3200's, but the older ones are 1 piece with integral turret housings.  The one I held in my hand today was definitely one piece. 

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:04
Form the Bushnell website:

Elite 4200 Riflescopes

Light him up. With the world’s brightest riflescope, you’re equipped to do so in the dimmest conditions. The fully multi-coated optics deliver an amazing 95% light transmission at 550NM. Our Rainguard® anti-fog coating and FireFly™ reticle give you deadly command of your shot through any weather and every minute of legal time. It’s even recoil tested with 10,000 rounds of .375 H&H. Ultra-bright. Clear. Accurate and dependable in extreme conditions. It’s simply the most lethal riflescope ever made.

*  Features
    * Rainguard®
    * Fully multi-coated optics
    * Magnum recoil-proof construction
    * One-piece hammer-forged tube
    * 100% waterproof/fogproof/
      shockproof construction
    * Dry-nitrogen filled
    * 1/4 M.O.A. or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
    * Elite® Bullet-Proof Warranty
    * "No Questions Asked" one- year replacement (U.S. only)

Elite 3200 Riflescopes

The Elite® 3200 offers multi-coated optics for generous light transmission and crisp image quality. Our exclusive, patented Rainguard® lens coating reduces large drops of water to near-microscopic specks, dramatically increasing light transmission and resulting in a remarkably clear image in wet weather.

The Elite 3200 riflescopes feature a rugged, one-piece aluminum tube. And, like the 4200, this scope is tested to rigorous standards – recoil tested to 1,000 rounds of a .375 H&H magnum. The 3200 offers everything the avid hunter requires.

*  Features
    * Rainguard®
    * Multi-coated optics
    * Magnum recoil-proof construction
    * One-piece hammer-forged tube
    * 100% waterproof/fogproof
      /shockproof construction
    * Dry-nitrogen filled
    * 1/4 M.O.A. or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
    * Elite® Bullet-Proof Warranty
    * "No Questions Asked" one- year replacement (U.S. only)
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:05
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:06
Thanks Mike, but I've already read that.  Several times.  I've already spent hours reading about scopes, I was just hoping that someone with more knowlege than most, like Koshkin, could give some more in depth information.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:15
I believe you are correct about the 3200 in the picture. Definitely looks different from what they are using now. In reality, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I tried to quiz a Bushnell CS rep a while back and the main difference was what the tubes were made of. When I tried to press them about internal construction, I got the feeling that the person just wasn't exactly sure, but as you can see, they rate the 3200 for 1000 rds of 375 H&H recoil testing and the 4200 is rated at 10,000 etc..... That's not even close. When these scope were first introduced, they stated that the 4200 used a titanium/aluminum alloy construction and the 3200 was straight aluminum. Yea, I know, don't jump down my throat, I'm just relaying what was stated in the past. The main thing I would concentrate on is why there is such a vast difference in their recoil ratings. I don't think that anyone here is privy to manufacturing details which is what this will boil down to.

Edited by Roy Finn - February/22/2009 at 23:21
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:21
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Thanks Mike, but I've already read that.  Several times.  I've already spent hours reading about scopes, I was just hoping that someone with more knowlege than most, like Koshkin, could give some more in depth information.

uhhh...Roy is one of those guys.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:21
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I believe you are correct about the 3200 in the picture. Definitely looks different from what they are using now. In reality, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I tried to quiz a Bushnell CS rep a while back and the main difference was what the tubes were made of. When I tried to press them about internal construction, I got the feeling that the person just wasn't exactly sure, but as you can see, they rate the 3200 for 1000 rds of 375 H&H recoil testing and the 4200 is rated at 10,000 etc..... That's not even close.

Thunbs Up
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:23
Thank you mike.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:40
jason, just one more thing to keep you guessing is that the 3-9 4200 is somewhat of a different animal from the rest of the 4200 line in that it is the only one that uses a 3x zoom magnification range and the rest of the 4200 line uses a 4x zoom range. Bushnell introduced this scope so that they would have a "competitive" 3-9 scope in their top of the line scopes. They wanted a 3-9 that would compete with other manufacturers top of the line 3-9's such as the Conquest, Swarovski A line, Kahles AH/KX series when comparisons were conducted. It became somewhat of a red headed stepchild because they (Bushnell) didn't foresee that this scope would take sales away from their 2.5-10x40 4200 series. Folks were quick to see that they could get 4200 performance from a scope that was priced anywhere from 100-150 dollars less than what the 2.5-10 was selling for at the time it was introduced.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 00:07
Thanks for all the tips, Roy.  I was wondering exactly what lead them to the recoil ratings, too.  That's basically why I was posting, to see if anyone knew the differences that may lead to the ratings.  I guess maybe we'll never know... 

And I didn't mean to jump down anyone's throat, sorry if it came off that way.  I just had noticed that Bushnell's newer pictures show the turret housing being two pieces glued onto the tube, while most actual scopes and pictures of actual scopes I've seen have a solid, integral housing.  I thought it would be best to provide evidence.

Also, I was unaware of any affiliation or occupation Roy might have within the optics industry.  I just knew Koshkin usually has the inside scoop on lots of things.

Finally, I think I remember the original lineup of 4200 scopes.  Wasn't it 1.5-6x36, 3-9x40, 4-16x40, and 6-24x40?  I was thinking the 2.5-10x40 came out later; like within the last few years.  Is that wrong?
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 02:24
I remember last year I looked at a 3200 Elite and it did indeed have a one piece tube and saddle. The earlier version had top and side adjstment turrets that had a glossy silicone looking sealant across the base of the top turret. I think the only difference between the two is in the glass and number of coatings on the lenses. I bet they are the same scope with the upgraded glass which will make them a hair brighter and handle glare and internal reflections better. If you dont hunt in low light much then I would think the 3200 would do you just fine but the 4200 will give you several minutes more in the dusk and dawn.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 08:57
Old Style -- I have a few 3200 2-7's on 12 ga slug guns and they have been plenty rugged . I currently have an old style 3x9 on a back up T/C 50 cal Diamond BP and no worries .
New Style -- about 2 yr.s now.. I believe the internals are still the same, but the scope body on this one is certainly a better looking item than previously,and is now indiscernable from the 4200 (except the model logo) ..

Edited by martin3175 - February/23/2009 at 09:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic