OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikko Stirling vs Burris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigvarmnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikko Stirling vs Burris
    Posted: February/22/2009 at 20:45
Hi, anyone have any experience on Nikko Diamond 1.5-6x42? Has a red dot. Wondered how good the glass is. I would use it at night "mostly".  How does it compare to Burris Fullfield.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 20:49
Sorry to say it does not compare ....get the burris? the Nikko is on the bottom of the list.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 20:51
One of the members of OT from South Africa (not 8shots...don't know what his thoughts are) told me to steer way clear of Nikko Sterling.  His personal experience has not been good and the man is a hunter extraordinaire.  Go with the Burris.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 20:59
Nikko = Crappo   Down the Toilet
bigvarmnt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigvarmnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:00
That figures, I've been trying to find what I want in rect, power, obj, weight, size, glass.  This is the closest I have found. Even looking at much higher priced scopes I can't find all the things I want.  Well I'm really grateful for the help. I was just about to order and pray I didn't get greatly disapointed. I have enough scopes to upgrade now, I would have really felt bad with a piece of junk. Price had me skeptical. Thanks SO MUCH for the help! 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:02
Tell us what you want and maybe we can help? at least give you suggestions most of us have many many scopes?
bigvarmnt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigvarmnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:33

That Nikko had 1.5-6x42, lighted dot- switch on side, #4 that looked wide in the picture. Smile  Was 30mm, Have heard a lot of opinions which is best for light gathering rather obj or tube dia. or coating on glass. Don't know what to believe on that. Was a little heavy at 20 oz. but could live with that?? $140.00...  OK! What I want! 1.5-6x42-44, Lighted rect, dot or cross, switch on side, heavy wide #4 rect, 12" long, 12-15 oz. Prefer 1" tube. Leupold or better glass. $200-$400.   Guess I just sold myslf back on the Burris. Has all this but 3-9x40. I think it's still $329. Not sure my eyes can tell much difference in the glass. I've read that at night good glass makes things more distinct.

Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:38
I would check into the bushnell scopes with the firefly reticle.....
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:44
Are you hunting at night the reason for the lighted reticle? I don't think with a spot light that you would be able to see the lighted reticle but don't know this for certain. and you are taking a lot from the optics to pay for that feature.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:49
Little out of your price range, but if you are going go with a Burris I would look at this one. I think it is all you want except the price.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4556-206-burris-15-6x40-signature-select-rifle-scope.aspx
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bigvarmnt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigvarmnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 22:58
I bought a Bushnell lighted recticle lower end last year. Scope's not too bad but power ring is too big for my Nef's hammer and I don't want to raise it. I put it on my Contender 223, has a lower hammer. Haven't used it much, like my Nef's better. I forgot to mention that the occular area or what ever you call it can't be overly sized. Think some others I looked at have that problem. Guess I'm picky but am having the same problems with my specs. on high end varmint scopes also. I've looked at Leu, Swaro, ,Zeiss, for a couple varmint rifles and parts I want and other parts I don't. Can't seem to get all the features in one scope. Getting frustrated. Lot of money to not get what features I want. Maybe to picky for a guy that shoots Nef's HUH!  Maybe just buy a slingshot and relax. Thanks, anything else for me to look at. Really Thanks Im sure you guys know what it's like to buy a scope and be disapointed. I have enough scopes laying around that I don't want.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:05
Totally understand where you are coming from...I just think that you are asking a lot in that price range I would rather have a better sight picture than other options ....IMO.. too each his own and on the NEF you use what you got and if it serves its purpose what more do you need. don't get frustrated check in tomorrow and see what others give as advise. good luck
bigvarmnt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigvarmnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 23:15
rifle looney you may be right! I shot a yote the other night at 130yds 223 with a burris at 10 pm. Snow and no light. Out in the open. Just thought  L.R. might be handy sometimes. Maybe not needed when using a light. Might help for woods and the little fox and coon. Lot of variables in pred. hunting just like features on scope. Some things needed sometimes others not. Don't care for bushnells only because they seem to have such a tight center wire. Looked at the Bur. sig. is a little high and can't remember if switch is on side.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 17:15
Bushnell elite 3200 firefly is a great scope and under $200 USD.I would rate this scope better than the Burris FFII.I only Know your Nikko is in the same league as the ATN.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic