OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FLP Leupold vs Bushnell Excursion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLP Leupold vs Bushnell Excursion
    Posted: February/22/2009 at 17:03
Well I finally got to use the Leupold beside my Bushnell today. My friend got it for his birthday and we went shooting today so I got a good look thru both side x side.

It was cloudy and dark outside with light rain...a good day for testing!

Optically I couldn't see a difference viewing targets from 50 yds to 300 yards.   I felt a slight bit brighter image from the Bushnell but no metering device, just my impression. Generally no difference there.

The big difference was that the bushnell has 5x more magnification giving it the advantage. I could confirm bullet holes with my scope that I couldn't with the leupold.

So to keep this short, the nod goes to the Bushnell for the extra 5x magnification and all else appearing equal to me, and the price being a lot less of course.

Oh ya, the leupold came a soft snug fitting case but no lens cap. Bushnell comes with similar snug fitting case, hard case, lens cap and a cheap tripod.

I expect these to sell like hotcakes once everybody realizes how good they are!  http://www.swfa.com/pc-13195-2266-new-bushnell-15-45x60-excursion-flp-spotting-scope.aspx

Edited by smitty - February/22/2009 at 23:07
tours732 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tours732 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 18:33
Size comparison?  Fit and finish comparison?  
tours732 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tours732 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 18:34
Can that gawdawful "B" be popped off?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 19:24
Can you do me a favor and look through those scopes at things at a distance of say one or two miles then tell us what you think? this is where I would be using them at least the Leupold. thanks in advance.   Wink
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 01:05
Size is nearly identical,
Fit and finish, both excellent. Bushnell has larger grips on the focus and mag. Leupold has smaller grips on focus and no grips smooth mag adjustment. Both are equally tight.

The snug case on the Bushnell is stiched nicer and fits better that the snug case of the Leupold. I really expected more from Leupold here and it didn't even come with a lens cap.

Regarding the 'B' on the front of the Bushnell, you don't know its there with the snug case on which is how I think most of us would use it.

Longer distance than 300 yards was not viewed. If there is a difference that might be where it would seen. I will scope the mountian ranges with both scope next time we go shooting and let you know what I see.

I didn't post this to slam Leupold but to state my observations looking thru both scopes. Point is that the Excursion is a darn good scope for the price. Bushnell did an excellent job of making a FLP scope modeled after the $800 Leupold and is selling it for under $300. That's something worth noting and frankly, I didn't see a difference other than the Bushnell having more magnification bringing the image 5 x closer.

Smitty
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 17:56
didn't mean to come off that you were slamming the Leupold ....I have viewed through both a Swaro and the mentioned Leupold at mule deer at ranges of up to four miles and though not as good as the Swaro the leupold was not bad so wondering how that Bushnell stacks up ?
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 16:46
Thanks smitty.  I was looking at the Bushnell and this was helpful. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
12ptdroptine View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 09:51
Originally posted by smitty smitty wrote:

Fit and finish, both excellent. Bushnell has larger grips on the focus and mag. Leupold has smaller grips on focus and no grips smooth mag adjustment. Both are equally tight.

The snug case on the Bushnell is stiched nicer and fits better that the snug case of the Leupold. I really expected more from Leupold here and it didn't even come with a lens cap.

Regarding the 'B' on the front of the Bushnell, you don't know its there with the snug case on which is how I think most of us would use it.

Longer distance than 300 yards was not viewed. If there is a difference that might be where it would seen. I will scope the mountian ranges with both scope next time we go shooting and let you know what I see.

I didn't post this to slam Leupold but to state my observations looking thru both scopes. Point is that the Excursion is a darn good scope for the price. Bushnell did an excellent job of making a FLP scope modeled after the $800 Leupold and is selling it for under $300. That's something worth noting and frankly, I didn't see a difference other than the Bushnell having more magnification bringing the image 5 x closer.

Smitty
That part about Bushnell doing aexcellent job of making a flp scope modeled after the Leupold $800 for only $300 is the part that bother's me... Is it research and develop" or recon and duplicate. I hate it when a company copie's something and take's it out of our country along with the job's it created and then import's it back for us to support and buy.. Now maybe This scope is made here in the state's. And I am wrong If so then I am wrong in this case. But acording to my paper last night we are at an unemployment level of 8.1% the highest in over 25 year's... Spend your money the way you see fit ..I am trying to buy in a way to save our job's. By the way I bought the Leupold. None of my Leupold products have ever let me down.. I cant say that about........Never mind. Drop
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 10:20
Originally posted by 12ptdroptine 12ptdroptine wrote:

Originally posted by smitty smitty wrote:

Smitty
That part about Bushnell doing aexcellent job of making a flp scope modeled after the Leupold $800 for only $300 is the part that bother's me... Is it research and develop" or recon and duplicate. I hate it when a company copie's something and take's it out of our country along with the job's it created and then import's it back for us to support and buy.. Now maybe This scope is made here in the state's. And I am wrong If so then I am wrong in this case. But acording to my paper last night we are at an unemployment level of 8.1% the highest in over 25 year's... Spend your money the way you see fit ..I am trying to buy in a way to save our job's. By the way I bought the Leupold. None of my Leupold products have ever let me down.. I cant say that about........Never mind. Drop

That is an admirable and honorable sentiment and I commend you for it.  The situation is, however, a bit more complicated than I think you are giving it credit.  Bushnell, for example, operates a large organization here in the USA.  When you buy from them, you are helping secure those Americans' jobs just as assuredly as you are when you buy from Leupold.

The other issue is that even Leupold has taken much of their "manufacturing" out of the country, including to China, to save profits. Only the Golden Ring products are assembled (note not "made") in the USA and are marked as such.  However, even with these products, the parts for them are imported from international markets.

Most "American Made" vehicles are likewise assembled from parts coming out of places outside of the USA and many "foreign" vehicles are made right here in the USA.

Then there's firearms.  The handguns arguably most popular among law enforcement agencies, our military, civilians, etc. (Glock, Sig, H&K, Beretta, etc.) are all foreign products.  Smith & Wesson and Ruger which are both "All American" products don't garner near the market share.  S&W at one time did, but they have lagged behind for some time now.

The simple reality is that there is no avoiding the international market.  Even "buying American" doesn't work because Americans have pretty much decided that they are above doing menial manufacturing chores, but still demand the products that those menial chores produce.

Edited by lucznik - March/07/2009 at 10:23
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:02
We could argue many of these points till we are blue in the face..And both be right to some degree. However in this economy I believe we need to re-unite as an american workforce to continue our way of life. Now I agree that there is a generation among us that is of the "entitlement" opinion. And those of that opinion wont stay continually employed for any wage. My Leupold says "Made in America" I mistakenly bought the Green ring and didnd know it was made in Korea...My bad...It went back. Now I am not telling anyone else what to do with their money. But to explore the option's they have. I believe we have become somewhat complacent (sp) in our lives about our jobs and product's being shipped out of our country. And now with the economy as it is , We are going to have to salvage it ourselve's    From the trench's up...Us being the trench's. As time has passed the government has allowed industry to dwindle the union movement that made this country so prosporus (again sp) In doing so the middle class is dissapearing...And I believe the middle class is what make's the economy function.We can voice our opinions and vote to help revive this. Now I dont want to go on a rant..But I believe I live in the most wonderful country in the world..And I want to do my part to support it..And by supporting it I am supporting myself. Now back to a statement I made. I love to see a product a company has developed from the basic's up to the level it achieve's.. I have watched some in the Archery industry copy each other's dezign's so closely that I have to look twice to know what brand it is... I dislike copy-cat companie's..And in the black powder arena..Look at some of the inovator's How they pioneered a product line...Then a company come's in and copies their line so closely that it is insulting....I have had people ask my Why did you buy that one? Mine is just as good as that..And $400 les..HA HA HA! I dont argue with them..and when it doesnt live up to their expectations..I dont even comment.. Now I sure dont mean to sound high and mighty..I am just a middle classed UAW worker . And I work for a farm equipment manufacturer..The big green one. But I work in the construction and forestry division.. We just layed off another 105 drom my plant yesterday..that takes us to 50%. Now before you misunderstand..I am not one of those $75 dollar an hour guy's. My local took a wage concessions clear back in 1997 to remain competitive in the market. If I make all of our production goal's I make about $18 an hour... With alot of overtime I make about 50k a year..And drive 120 mile's a day. So I watch to make my dollar go the furthest. I guess I believe if we support our countries companies when we can it will help to make a differance...along with our prayer's for our leader's ...It may be all we have. Sorry for the lecture I sure hope not to sound like I am forceing my oppinion's on anybody..Hust thankful for freedom of speech to say them. I hope the Bushnell really works out for whoever buy's  it. I am sure it is a good product...Maybe we need voice our opinion's to some of the reps we run into... Thanks for the time Good Luck To All Drop
tours732 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tours732 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 09:06
Hate to get back to topic, BUT . . . .

Just purchased the Bushnell Excursion and absolutely love it.  I bought the Bushnell 15-45X60 rather than the 80 mm.  The 80mm is just waaay to big for my needs. 

I agree with everything Smitty says re this fine scope.  Eye relief is excellent and optically it is all I could hope for.  Glad to know it compares favorably to the Leupold optically.  The "B" on this scope is silver and not at all obtrusive.  Fit and finish are excellent.  Tripod is a throw away.  Hard case is nice as is neoprene cover. 

Thanks to Smitty and to Lucznik for their help in this purchasing decision.

Back off topic:

A free unfettered economy is the ideal we should strive for.  That being said, we are unlikely to achieve this end in our life times.  I subscribe to the Austrian School of Economics.  It is quite simply the only approach that makes sense to me.

One thing I believe we can all agree on:  Our current president is an obamination and will do great harm to our nation and way of life. 

God bless America! (what's left of it)

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12ptdroptine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:56
My Bad for the rant..Sorry didnt mean to HighJack.. However I Looked through a lot of glass before I got the right one for me. Even brought the wrong one home the first time. I had a 20x60x80 also.. I found when I got up to anything around 60 power there just wasnt the clarity I expected. But that was in $500 glass. But another factor with the 80mm lenz was the balanceing act that was needed on the tripod... Those thing's need a very well thought out tripod... I am not even satisfied with the little one I have . Does the Bushnell scope's Have the rainguard system on them? I have always liked that concept. Thanks Drop 
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 09:15
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I spent 38 years - mostly in Supervision - for a major auto manufacture and I have a real good understanding of the american work force on the assy line. I buy american automobiles but when it comes to electronics and optics, I think the manufacturing revolution that Dr. Demming started in Japan allows them to make some really great products.  I support buy american as much as anybody but when it's my money - there's good enough and then there's better than it has to be - when costs are similar.  
wyobowhunter1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyobowhunter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 17:51
So whats the verdist on the 80mm- you like or not?  Has ed glass right?  Thanks!
Vegetarian- old indian word for bad hunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic