OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to select proper rings, mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to select proper rings, mounts?
    Posted: February/21/2009 at 07:46
By way of introduction,  I have shot and hunted my whole life (I'm 34).  I always relied on iron sights until 7 years ago, when it became clear I had too many guns and I didn't shoot regular enough to maintain a high level of constistancy without a scope.  Since then I have had scopes mounted on four or five of my rifles.  However, I'm not real smart on scopes.  I've always paid to have them mounted/bore sighted, with the merchant picking out the rings bases.  I would like to become a bit more self sufficient and do this stuff myself.

When mounting a scope on a rifle, how do you determine which bases and rings to use....is it specific to the scope or rifle, or both?

The first scope I bought was an el cheapo that I had mounted on a newer model winchester 94 30-30.  The mounts and rings were cheap as well.  It worked just fine for daytime shooting.  However, it was jarred against the ground when I slipped on a climb, and that through the shots low a foot and half.  My primary deer rifle is a winchester 30-06.  I put a leupold 3x9x40 on it a couple of years ago, with leupold rings and mounts.  I now want to switch the leupold onto the 30-30 and get a better scope for the 30-06.  What type of rings and mounts should I use to mount the leupold on the 30-30?  If I put a non-leupold on the 30-06, will I be able to use the same rings and mounts currently on the 30-06?  Thanks for any assistance.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 10:29
Welcome to the OT Pass-thru.
There are several here that are much better at telling how to do things than I am. They will want to know what your 30-06 is and what scope you are thinking of for objective size.
Anything I suggest for ring hight would be guessing so I'll wait for the more experienced to say. Your objective will likely be 40mm, 44mm, 50mm and so on. As for the bases it comes to personal preference alot of the time. Most here will say stay away from see-thru mounts because it is typically a weak system and sets you scope very high. For good cheek weld and consistancy you want to keep your scope as low as possible without the objective touching the barrel or rear sight. What ever advice you get here, if you can go to a gunshop where one of the staff will spend some time showing you what is available for your rifle and preferred scope you will better understand your options and be able to choose for yourself what you prefer. We look forward to knowing what you come up with. keep us posted and Good Luck! Thunbs Up

Edited by Sgt. D - February/21/2009 at 10:31
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:13
If you put a 1" tube with about a 40mm bell on the 30-06, you can stay with the same rings.  If you want a 30mm tube, or a scope with a 50mm bell, you will have to change rings.  What scope are you looking at for the 30-06?

The bases are specific to the rifle (for example, bases for a ruger won't fit a browning).  The rings will be determined by the tube size and objective size of the scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:17
Thank you Sgt D.  For the 30-30 I will be using the Leupold 3x9x40

I am not decided what kind of scope to put on it.  Probably a Zeiss 50mm objective, but maybe something else.  It will be quite some time before I actually by the scope, I'm just doing some preliminary research at this point.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:20
So I can leave the leupold base on the 30-06, and keep the rings with the scope when I move it to the 30-30? What would be a good base to get for the 94 30-30?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:44
Not necessarily.  You said you have leupold rings and bases right?  Do you know what kind of bases?  Standard (dovetail front, windage adjustable rear)?  Double dovetail?  For you to move the rings, you would have to get bases for your model of rifle, that would accept the type of rings you have.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:54
Maybe I should clarify.  For you base, you need one that is compatible with your model of rifle (Win 94).  There are different types you can get.  Two peice, and one peice.  Each of these can be a different type (double dovetail, weaver, standard dovetail).  Your rings have to be compatible with the base type.  For the rings, you either have to have 1" or 30mm, which depends on what scope you get.  The ring heigth will depend on what size the objective is on the scope.  Does this make sense?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:40
Yes it makes sense....unfortunately I do not have the firearms handy.  Given the scope and the rifle type, is there a chart or some other reference available, in order to figure out what will work, so that I could buy online?
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 15:38
a good place of reference is competitor. they have charts for proper ring hight and base for your rifle. SWFT is the place for your new scope. best prices and what about this forum!!!! 
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 16:14
This should help you:

http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/BaseFit_RingHght.pdf

And you can get the parts from SWFA.

Bases: http://www.swfa.com/pc-3057-2524-leupold-standard-2-piece-base.aspx

Rings:  Low - http://www.swfa.com/pc-2940-403-leupold-standard-1-rings.aspx
or       Medium - http://www.swfa.com/pc-2943-403-leupold-standard-1-rings.aspx

I really don't know if you need low or medium rings.  Most of the time with 40 mm objectives, you can use low.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 16:37
leupold low standerd rings are .150" witch is good up to 35mm obj. medium rings are .270 and handle 50mm obj. 
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 16:40

Thanks a bunch....that chart is exactly what I was looking for.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic