OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scopes and Why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newreloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scopes and Why
    Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:46
Ok I have a question. Looking for some valuable input here. This may be a dumb question but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Should I get a 50mm scope for some deer hunting by dog running and mostly deer hunting from a shooting house or should you chose a 40mm or a 42mm.

What is your opinion and why?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:59
Questions to be answered. Ever plan on taking this rifle out were you actually have to hump it?  How much low light hunting do you do? The hunting by running dogs leads me to believe you need fast acquisition of targets so low magnification ability is a must, and then, how much cash are you ready to lay down for a scope?   Here is what I'm  looking at for my sons .308.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12768-2122-new-vortex-35-10x50-diamondback-rifle-scope.aspx

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 22:24
I have never owned a 50mm scope and most here will tell you for hunting that a 50mm only adds weight and makes the scope sit higher off the barrel leading to top heaviness and a not so good cheek weld to the stock for a firm shot. That being said there are many people who seem to like the 50mm lens. I would say it depends how you hunt and what you hunt. If you walk and stalk through the woods a lot like you said "Dog Running" then you will most likely have your scope set at 6 power or lower in which case a 42 mm lens will give you all the light your eye can use at that power setting and lower settings so the 50mm will give no advantage. If you dont walk much and you mostly sit in a ladder stand overlooking fields where a long shot is possible even in low light and you may actually use the 10 power setting then yes I would go with a 50mm, but only if you hunt that way a lot. My personal opinion is this. I would think that a 42mm lens is the best option. In most cases it will fit in medium rings which will be be as low a ring you can use with a 40mm. I dont think you will see any difference in low light at six power between a 42mm or a 50mm. I think a bigger objective does have a tad better resoloution than smaller ones but I think it would only be noticeable or even useful on a target rifle at long range for seeing a paper target details better. So for a target range gun at long range a 50mm might be the ticket. Besides, larger lenses tend to cost more so you can save the money from not buying a 50mm and get a scope with a 40mm or 42mm with better glass and coatings for the same price.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 23:40
If you are planning to do both with one gun. I would suggest a compromise in Obj to power ratio. Get something that can do both. No higher than a 2.5 at the lowest power and a 40-42 mm Obj. Pay extra attention to the reticles and get a thick as possible cross and post duplex for low light, or something that can be illuminated.

Edited by cyborg - February/20/2009 at 23:40
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
newreloader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newreloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:09
Will not be having to hump it in any. Will hunt to till dark in the afternoon. Money not a problem just wondering what was better
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:18
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:41
Originally posted by newreloader newreloader wrote:

Will not be having to hump it in any. Will hunt to till dark in the afternoon. Money not a problem just wondering what was better

If cash isn't an issue...this scope is very nice and very versatile.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:43
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Originally posted by newreloader newreloader wrote:

If cash isn't an issue...this scope is very nice and very versatile.

hell ya!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 10:10
If cash aint an issue, buy me one too!!!! Just kidding. I would probably go to a store and do some compairison shopping. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
newreloader View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newreloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 16:16

Cash is always an issue to some degree. What I really wanted to know is if the 40 or 42mm were better than the 50mm for deer hunting

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 16:52

I like the 42mm better,but the 40mm is more practical for using on most hunting rifles than the 50mm due to bulk.The larger bell costs more the only advatage of a 50mm is the little extra light for low light but many of the newer scopes have multi-coated optics for better light transmision which can be found on the smaller bell. 

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:22
Hunting with dogs etc. means Trijicon Accupoint. Very fast acquisition and good glass. Not too heavy.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 07:25
For years I used a Vari XIII 3,5-10x50 with Heavy Duplex reticle for mixed hunting moose / deer.  On a Ruger M77 in 35 Whelen (pretty pro American to be a European ...heh Wink)

I did not find the scope size to be a hindrance in any way, and it gave me the lot from low light hunting in dark woods, to day hunting on open plains.
( 35 Whelen, VariX III 3,5-10x50 and a 1,5 year old moose ,dog is Swedish White Moose Dog)

Later I change this old trusty scope out with a Nikon Monarc Gold 1,5-6x42 .
I found the 3,5 as lowest setting on the Leupold to be a bit on the "big" side hunting dense woods where shooting distances could be less than 50 yards.
The Monarc Gold set on 1,5 did give me a much better field of view in such situations.

Now I´m back to the 50 mm with a Zeiss Victory 2,5-10x50 with a German #4 reticle which in my humble opinion, gives me the best of both worlds.
I don´t find the 50 mm to be more of a hindrance then the 42 mm.
Any one would do the way I see it, but the 50 mm gives you an edge in low light wathever the mathematicans tell you, presuming we are talking glass of the same quality .

The same 35 Whelen with the Zeiss and a red doe.

Seawolf
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 08:33
Good stuff, seawolf!!!!   Excellent  Excellent   Nice photos and scenic beautiful country!!  I have always wanted to visit Norway!!!  

I am part Norwegian and my mother's grandfather emigrated from Norway to America in the 1800s.  We have a picture of him as a young man sitting on a deck of a ship with lots of ropes and things in the background----must have been a sailing ship!!    Thunbs Up  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 09:01
I like the 40-42mm scopes the best for a general purpose hunting gun, but will confess that I own a 52mm scope also.  I love the 35 whelen.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 09:49

WOW seawolf,I hunt places here in West Virginia that look exactly like your first pic. For 20+ years I used a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40AO but hunting situations and logging changed my hunting tactics over the years. Like you I found 3.5X a bit much and so not to my liking most of the time. Bought me a few low powered variable scopes(1.5X up to 7X)and they're working out fine,so far anyways. Also got me a medium bore carbine(9.3x62mm in a 20"bbl Mauser) instead of my 24"bbl .300. GREAT post and PICS by the way and sure hope ya stick around OT awhile!

seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 10:24
Ed.
Moose hunting take part in Northern Norway, majestic nature!
They say that there are more people of Norwegian blood in USA than in Norway Big Smile

Lucytuma.
The 35 Whelen is a great round. I use it for everything from our small Roe deer to the Moose, it flattens them with gusto, I use the 250 gr RN Woodleigh.

300S&W
We tend to hunt more dusk and dawn than you guys do, therefore bigger scopes are the rule.
But on my 375 Ruger I still use another old Vari XIII 2,5.8x36 with "4 reticle.
This rifle is mostly for moose and daylight hunting and the 36mm take care of the lot.
This scope has also seen two trips to South Africa and is a great configuration the way I see it.   My Monarc Cold is back up scope for this rifle with its own set of 30 mm rings clamped on. One of the benfits of Ruger rifles, the scope mount system .
The 9,3x62 carbine sounds like a great hunter and the calibre is probably THE moose and bear calibre here in Norway and Sweden.

I like the knowledge and great humor on this site, so I guess I will hang around Smile
Seawolf
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 10:37
For any hunting, up to and including 1/2 hour after dusk, I`ve never owned a 50 mm objective scope. Any light gains are minimal between a 50mm vs a 40 mm to 42 mm.

The 50`s cost more, are heavier and higher in profile.

If you`re hunting where your ranges are 300 yards and less or in more thicker brush and timbers, a 40-42mm or less for an objective in a great quality scope is fine.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 10:41
Originally posted by seawolf seawolf wrote:

Ed.
Moose hunting take part in Northern Norway, majestic nature!
They say that there are more people of Norwegian blood in USA than in Norway Big Smile

Lucytuma.
The 35 Whelen is a great round. I use it for everything from our small Roe deer to the Moose, it flattens them with gusto, I use the 250 gr RN Woodleigh.

300S&W
We tend to hunt more dusk and dawn than you guys do, therefore bigger scopes are the rule.
But on my 375 Ruger I still use another old Vari XIII 2,5.8x36 with "4 reticle.
This rifle is mostly for moose and daylight hunting and the 36mm take care of the lot.
This scope has also seen two trips to South Africa and is a great configuration the way I see it.   My Monarc Cold is back up scope for this rifle with its own set of 30 mm rings clamped on. One of the benfits of Ruger rifles, the scope mount system .
The 9,3x62 carbine sounds like a great hunter and the calibre is probably THE moose and bear calibre here in Norway and Sweden.

I like the knowledge and great humor on this site, so I guess I will hang around Smile
..................A .375 Ruger owner in Norway uh?????.............ExcellentThunbs Up
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 11:14
Yup, here is the proof Big Grin
Taken at the gun shop.
Seawolf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic