OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmcnx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR mount
    Posted: February/20/2009 at 20:39

Well round two on mounting my scope.  I had decide on a Burris PEPR one piece mount only to be told out of stock for an undetermined time. I've looked at others but they all seem to be quick release or way to tall.

So on to plan B.  I've got an AR flattop and mounting a sightron 6-24x50.  It has a 30mm tub. The existing flattop rail sits 1/4 inch higher than the handguard.   So here goes.

I am thinking about using a rail extension to get the forward distance i need, that will add 1/2 inch of height, giving me a total of 3/4 in clearance on the front objective.  So with a scope center line of 1.14inches I need mounts that are at least .4 from the base to the bottom of the scope or 1" to center.

I want to perm mount all this, I have no need for quick releases.

Any suggestions on brands/models of extensions and rings? Does my math seem to be correct?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:22
 I'm too tired to think through your math, but it doesn't seem to add up for me.
 Not sure how you came up with 1.14"  'center line'?

You should probably convert your 30mm. tube diameter to decimal inches before dividing it in half.
 Keep in mind that you need at least 1.25" from the top of the flattop rail to the scopes' centerline just to be able to see through it with an AR stock's high comb/low bore height configuration, unless you have a weird face.  Badger Ordnance Ultra Highs work well for me at 1.45" with no riser.
mmcnx2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmcnx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:31
The sightron front objective is 2.28 inches diameter so 1.14 would be center line.  Interesting oservation on the scope height from the comb, had not given that much consideration.  I was loking at it more like a typical varmint gun, trying to get the scope cetnerline as close to the bore as possible.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:56
 Ok, gotcha on the math now.
 A low scope doesn't work with an AR.
 I had an Accuracy Speaks Riser on mine with Weaver High rings (?) that worked okay, but I like the Badger Ultra High setup a little better.  Cleaner and more solid looking. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 22:25
just a thought -- get a Magpul stock this will add about an inch in length of pull , making forward mounting less critical, also the check can be adjusted to any height, so if you want a more heads up hold on the gun, or down on the boreline it becomes an option with out the regular stock holding you back.
mmcnx2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmcnx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:16
I was looking at either the Magpul or CAA sniper stocks, but had not picked one yet.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:44
there is quite a bit of difference in the two, magpuls are built for a little rougher treatment and the CAA has more adjustment features, the check rest will go up and down and the back and forth, the length of the stock is more adjustable than the magpul and works like the orginal Colt also the butt pad can be adjusted for fit, the better one also has a monopod which is the best feature.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 07:27
That's the wonderful thing of the ar platform so many options. I've mounted a meopta  3x10x50 30mm using T.P.S TSR rings in high and worked very nice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic