OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - In Search Of My Ultimate Big Game Hunting Scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

In Search Of My Ultimate Big Game Hunting Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 18:42
The 4200's have the raised bar, meaning no coin slot on the 2.5-10's.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 20:16
The only 4200s you can change a reticle in are the ones with an AO. The Big Skys have a hydrophobic coating like Rainguard. There are other advantages of the Big Sky but that's the one I remember. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 20:26
How about Sightron Scopes.  Slightly better glass than a 4200, great CS and tuff.  They also have resettable to zero low turrets with caps, a mildot reticle for holdovers and good eye relief  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10613-1511-new-sightron-3-12x42-sii-big-sky-riflescope.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 20:53
I'm looking forward to seening the new Leica riflescopes.  extra long eye relier , easy mounting,  30mm tube, side paralax adjustment, billistic plex style retice and Leica precision...  Can't wait to look at one... NV Hunter
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 21:48
Originally posted by NV Hunter NV Hunter wrote:

I'm looking forward to seening the new Leica riflescopes.  extra long eye relier , easy mounting,  30mm tube, side paralax adjustment, billistic plex style retice and Leica precision...  Can't wait to look at one... NV Hunter

Leica! Me too!

Idaho Scot.  Another idea.  Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T.  SWFA has them for $929.00.

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 09:50

3.       Sightron.  What are the major differences between the SII and SII BigSky?  Do they both have the exactrack system?  Is it true they have target type turrets?

I have both.  The Big Sky does have better glass, but SII is still good.  Yes, they both have exactrac and it has proven very repeatable.  Yes, styles of each are offered with target turrets.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up with.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 15:51
Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

1.       The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 is more money than I thought I would have to spend but I must admit it does provide a lot of what I am looking for.   For those of you that have experience with it, how much low light time am I going to loose with the 32 mm objective?  The size of that scope is so compact.  I like it!  Also, the NP-R2 reticle looks attractive as it seems it would do what I want and also give me capability to range with it if I ever had rangefinder issues and had to do it the old fashioned way.  Without seeing one it is hard to tell how heavy the reticle lines are.  Are they going to be tough to see in low light?  Do the NXS reticles have illumination or is that just an option on some models?

To answer your Nightforce questions:
1.  Yes, the tradeoff with this scope is that you will lose some low light time vs. a larger objective, but how much depends on the scope you compare it to and the magnification setting you're using.  If you keep the scope set on 5X and lower, you will not notice a drop off in low light visibility with this scope vs. another scope with 42 or 50mm objective of equivalent optical quality.  Larger objectives transmit more light, but don't provide any noticeable advantage in low light vs. smaller objectives of equivalent quality until you turn up the magnification, where the larger objective still provides a reasonably large exit pupil.  IMO, Nightforce falls in the Conquest / Elite 4200 optical performance class.  If your hunting requires more than 5X or you prefer to use more magnification than that, a larger objective will add a few minutes worth of effective hunting time in the mornings and evenings.  The choice involves deciding whether ultimate low light performance or compactness is more important to you.
2.  The reticle lines of the NP-R2 are VERY thin, as are most of NF's reticles.  This is great for precision shooting, but you may lose the reticle in low light, which is compensated for by illumination. 
3.  All NF scopes have illuminated reticles.  The advantage of the 2.5-10X32 NXS is that you have an externally adjustable illumination rheostat, so you have a broad intensity range to accomodate all light conditions by rotating the knob, unlike higher powered NXS models with side parallax focus.    To adjust illumination intensity on the side focus models, you have to unscrew the battery cap and adjust the rheostat with a small screwdriver, so for all practical purposes, you only have one intensity setting available with the higher powered NXS models.

Edited by RifleDude - February/22/2009 at 16:02
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 11:13

I would look at the Burris Signature Select 3X-10X-40mm or the 3X-12X-44mm with the Ballistic Plex Reticle.  These two scopes should meet the requirements that you have listed.

Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 12:50

[/QUOTE]

To answer your Nightforce questions:
1.  Yes, the tradeoff with this scope is that you will lose some low light time vs. a larger objective, but how much depends on the scope you compare it to and the magnification setting you're using.  If you keep the scope set on 5X and lower, you will not notice a drop off in low light visibility with this scope vs. another scope with 42 or 50mm objective of equivalent optical quality.  Larger objectives transmit more light, but don't provide any noticeable advantage in low light vs. smaller objectives of equivalent quality until you turn up the magnification, where the larger objective still provides a reasonably large exit pupil.  IMO, Nightforce falls in the Conquest / Elite 4200 optical performance class.  If your hunting requires more than 5X or you prefer to use more magnification than that, a larger objective will add a few minutes worth of effective hunting time in the mornings and evenings.  The choice involves deciding whether ultimate low light performance or compactness is more important to you.
2.  The reticle lines of the NP-R2 are VERY thin, as are most of NF's reticles.  This is great for precision shooting, but you may lose the reticle in low light, which is compensated for by illumination. 
3.  All NF scopes have illuminated reticles.  The advantage of the 2.5-10X32 NXS is that you have an externally adjustable illumination rheostat, so you have a broad intensity range to accomodate all light conditions by rotating the knob, unlike higher powered NXS models with side parallax focus.    To adjust illumination intensity on the side focus models, you have to unscrew the battery cap and adjust the rheostat with a small screwdriver, so for all practical purposes, you only have one intensity setting available with the higher powered NXS models.
[/QUOTE]

Very helpful info.  Thank you.

As far as the zero stop turrets.  If I am reading correctly if I get these I loose the option to have turret covers.  For the Tough kind of conditions I will be in I would think covers would be important but I don't know the durability of the  zero stop.  Is it waterproof?  What are your thoughts in this regard?

Thanks,

Scot E.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 14:43
Kahles CL Multizero with a 4a reticle.  My 0.02.  The 3-9x42 or the 4-12x52 would be my first choices if you can find them.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 15:24
Nightforce scopes are built like tanks, very durable, very precise adjustments.  I highly recommend Nightforce NXS series scopes.

The zero stop is money well spent if you plan to dope long shots (make elevation and windage changes at the turret) as it will not allow you to spin too far - prevents getting lost on the dial.

Conquest is a good scope and you would like it.
The Trijicon is aplesant suprise, I like the 3-9x40 more than I thought I would, good glass for the money.
The Swaro is a great scope and near perfect for what you've outlined, the ballistic reticle is fantastic, the glass is great, and all other needed elements are there - I'd do the Swaro.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 17:43
Rancid,

Just curious if you have tried a Z6 on a rifle of considerable recoil, say a .300 magnum or bigger?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 18:06
I recently helped a friend set up a GAP non-typical hunter with a Z-6.  It is a 300WM and it is a boomer.  Thus far, the scope has been great.

Have you had issues?  Swaro said the Z6 series is fine on heavy-recoil guns but did recommend at least 30mm tubes for heavy recoil guns.  Zeiss said the same thing, Trijicon did not.

I just put a Zeiss Victory on my 300WM non-typical hunter and like it allot.

If these scopes fail, they usually fail early, and no problems yet.

Is there something I ahve not yet considered?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 18:55
No, I was just curious, as I am in the fairly early stages of testing a Z6 myself.

I can see why Swarovski would suggest 30mm scopes on heavier kickers, as they use different erector springs in their 30mm scopes than in their 1" scopes. I am trying to run down two different stories that are apparently coming from Zeiss about which scopes are best for heavy recoil. I suspect Trijicon uses the same erector system in both the 30mm and 1" scopes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 19:54
Thus far, I am impressed with the Z6.  I've compared it side-by-side with a Victory and a Swaro AH as well as Premier and USO.  The glass is great, the tracking ain't as important but seems to be spot-on.

I like the Z6; however, when recently faced with a new scope purchase for a hard-use hunter, I went with Zeiss Victory, I just liked the scope a little more, can't say why.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:26

What model Swaro do you suggest?  I do like the reticle design.

The scope will be going on a 300wm but I am in the process of a .338 build so I guess if Swaro has durability issues among models I need to know that too?

Thanks,

Scot E.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 00:36
Scot, for me it came down to the Sightron SIII 3.5.-10x44 MD and the Nightforce Compact NXS 2.5-10x32. Ultimately, I went with the Nightforce. Having just got it and mounted it I haven't shot with it yet, but my objectives were much the same as yours. What I can say is that it looks and feels like a great scope. It's a little heavy (19 oz) but is fairly compact. The scope also comes with (unadvertised) polarized flip-ups standard. As Rifledude mentioned, the reticles are thin but the illumination takes care of that for me. While waiting for the mount, I took this scope out a couple times around dusk and glassed deer and other objects. Yes, the 32mm objective limits exit pupil but I don't plan on taking a shot over 300 yards as it's getting dark (and probably not over 200). In that case, I don't mind dialing down to 5-7X and employing some illumination. I did not get the zero stops, given the extra cost. It's not like I'm going to be engaging multiple targets in a combat environment...just looking to get out beyond MPBR when the occasion warrants it.

I plan to take this scope out Thursday to sight it in. I don't think I'll really get to put it or the rifle through their paces but will at least post a mini range report.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 07:44
Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

What model Swaro do you suggest?  I do like the reticle design.

The scope will be going on a 300wm but I am in the process of a .338 build so I guess if Swaro has durability issues among models I need to know that too?

Thanks,

Scot E.

Scott,

My Swaro recommendation would be this:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12648-978-new-swarovski-17-10x42-z6-30mm-riflescope.aspx

It has great range, 42mm objective, no adjustment for parallax, and hunting turrets.  It also has their ballistic reticle - which I like allot - and is small and has good eye relief.

The Nightforce you are considering is about 3 oz. heavier, has about the same eye relief, has target turrets, a 32mm objective, and illumination - for about the same price.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/COMPACT_NXS_MODELS_/compact2_5-10x32nxs_/compact2_5-10x32nxs_.html

For a hard-use hunting rifle, either would be good.  The Nightforce will hang more in a scabbard and has a parallax knob on the left side.  For purity of what you want, I'd get the Z6.  It is a beautigul scope and you will love the glass.

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 10:14
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The Nightforce ... has a parallax knob on the left side.

Not in the Compact NXS line.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 10:30

And:

I should have been more specific, you are correct.  Nightforce, even the compact, have a turret on the left side, making them less scabbard-friendly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic