OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4200 vs bigsky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 21:42
4 power on the low end ain't good enough for 50 or 100 yards shots, how low do you want to go, any lower then you might as well use iron sights. i never u nderstood the need for 1x ,2x, 3, for low end you should just use iron sights because magnification is to make your target bigger to engage on it and percisely put the bullet where it goes thats why i use a little power. and 16 power on the high end is for looking at the rack, you cant tell how big a deers rack is at 300 yards but with 4 power you cant determine if he is a shooter. it dont take much effort to turn the dial from 4 to 16 and if you decide to varmit hunt then 16 will work fine. better to have it then when you need it and you dont have it. just my opinion
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 17:04
The optics for the 4200 and the Big Sky are made by LOW in Japan. A top notch optics company that competes with the Germans. I wonder how much difference there really is between the two? I own both and prefer the 4200 because of the Rainguard and IMO a better cost/value equation.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 17:55
I tend to think that for brush hunting stalking deer in the woods an aimpoint red dot is about ideal or a low power Trijicon.  I usually hunt from a stand and have more time to make a carefully placed shot so I do like the 4-16 power range but watch how much eye relief these scopes have as some brands are a lot more forgiving of hard kicking rifles than others.  I would also suggest you give some serious consideration to the new Leupold VX3 in the 4.5-14x40  I cant believe this one is still on samplelist.
10141 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 66425, Matte finish, Boone & Crockett reticle, 30mm tube, Long Range, Side Focus, Xtended twilight lens system, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures $879.00 $659.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 18:20
My favorite scope is the Big Sky.I also own the Bushnell Elite 4200 but I find the Sightron brighter and clearer.The eye relief on the Sightron is better with a lifetime replacement if the scope breaks.
j.chappell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 12:47
Originally posted by skilly1979 skilly1979 wrote:

4 power on the low end ain't good enough for 50 or 100 yards shots, how low do you want to go, any lower then you might as well use iron sights. i never u nderstood the need for 1x ,2x, 3, for low end you should just use iron sights because magnification is to make your target bigger to engage on it and percisely put the bullet where it goes thats why i use a little power. and 16 power on the high end is for looking at the rack, you cant tell how big a deers rack is at 300 yards but with 4 power you cant determine if he is a shooter. it dont take much effort to turn the dial from 4 to 16 and if you decide to varmit hunt then 16 will work fine. better to have it then when you need it and you dont have it. just my opinion

Are you serious? Wow, I guess I should throw away all of my low end variables cause they havent been doing me any good, come on.

I hunt groundhogs here in PA with 4x scopes. If you cannot see a deer well enough to make a shot at 50-100 yards with a scope of any magnification 4 or below then you do not belong in the woods. I realy dont understand how you can make a statement like you do. I can shoot 1.75" groups at 200 yards with many of my fixed 4's and even better with some of my low end variables. I personally do not see the need for a scope that tops out at more than 9-10 power for any big game hunting. If you cannot tell that the buck, bull, ram, boar, or whatever it is that you are shooting is a shooter at 10x then you shouldnt be shooting at that distance anyway.

The reason I say this is that I am not a "Next County Cannon" advocate and belive that shots at big game should be taken at reasonable distances and for 99% of your hunting a simple mid range variable will suit you fine.

I like it better when a fella just comes out and says that he got that 20" long, 56mm objective, 32x scope for his deer rifle simply because he wanted it and not because it is needed. You can justify any decision you make by simply saying "because I wanted it", I use it all the time.

As for the OP if it is possible look at both scopes first hand it is the only true way you will know which one you prefer.

J.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:28
thats my point you have 4x for close and high power if needed, better to have when not needed then to have when needed.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 05:49
Try using that 4 power in a thicket when a deer jumps up right in front of you and you'll understand the need for a lower magnification. I was walking down a dirt path in the fog last year and found myself within 30 feet of a buck. I'm REAL glad I was using a 1.5x scope. The buck, however, would've preferred that I hadn't. You won't see me in hog country with a minimum of 4 power either.
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 06:37
Good point jetwrnch. Tough to acquire a target in thick cover with 4X.  A 1.5X or 2X is much preferable. I would a 4X14 for shots 200 and beyond, such as Pronghorn or hunting senderos in Texas. Just my opinion.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 20:59
i have never used anything lower than 4 x. i really never had any trouble close range, thats what i use on my slug gun a 4x fixed weaver. no problems yet. i hunt out of a tree stand always and never on the ground. maybe thats why i never had a problem yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic