OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with Scope Choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Scope Choice
    Posted: February/20/2009 at 09:39

I think I finally norrowed my choice for my .300 Win. Mag. down to 2 scopes. I was hoping to get some input to help determine my choice.  There is about a $400 differnce between the two.  Beside price there are a few other trade offs as well.  I'm interested in hearing your input. Both of the choices appear to be real good deals.

Here are the choices:
1. Kahles 2.5-10x50 Helia CS Multizero Plex Reticle
2. Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari #8 Reticle

Your input is appreciated.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 09:43
i would tell you to flip a coin and you cant lose either way. i would look at the eye relief for both of them and that may sway your vote one way or another.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:26

After I posted I thought I could do a better job to address my specific questions with some more information.

The Zeiss would be $400 but I would want to add a Kenton turret. I believe I would need to have Zeiss add a turret and pay for the Kenton as the Kahles has the Multizero I wouldn’t need this investment for the Kahles.  So now we are talking a $600 difference. So to me it boils down to the following. 

1. Does the glass quality on the Zeiss justify the $600?

2. Does the better low light performance f the Zeiss justify the $600?

3. Should I be concerned with the recent developments for warranty work if needed on the Kahles?

4. I like the Kahles non magnifying reticle. I believe the Zeiss’s reticle magnifies as you increase the power.

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:26
Originally posted by Mike VS Mike VS wrote:

I think I finally norrowed my choice for my .300 Win. Mag. down to 2 scopes. I was hoping to get some input to help determine my choice.  There is about a $400 differnce between the two.  Beside price there are a few other trade offs as well.  I'm interested in hearing your input. Both of the choices appear to be real good deals.

Here are the choices:
1. Kahles 2.5-10x50 Helia CS Multizero Plex Reticle
2. Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory Diavari #8 Reticle

Your input is appreciated.

Both are great scopes however I would give the advantage to the Zeiss optically. The multizero is great if you take the time to learn to use it. Depends on which of the trade offs suit you better. i would let that make my choice because optically they are both great!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:28

After I posted I thought I could do a better job to address my specific questions with some more information.

The Zeiss would be $400 but I would want to add a Kenton turret. I believe I would need to have Zeiss add a turret and pay for the Kenton as the Kahles has the Multizero I wouldn’t need this investment for the Kahles.  So now we are talking a $600 difference. So to me it boils down to the following. 

1. Does the glass quality on the Zeiss justify the $600?

2. Does the better low light performance f the Zeiss justify the $600?

3. Should I be concerned with the recent developments for warranty work if needed on the Kahles?

4. I like the Kahles non magnifying reticle. I believe the Zeiss’s reticle magnifies as you increase the power.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:37
1 is the glass $600 better? In my opinion no it is better but not $600.
2 Low light capabilities of both are great not a big difference at all between the two. However the Zeiss is better. Just not $600 In my opinion.
3 The warranty may be a problem if it did come up. However Since that has happened I have bought a Kahles anyways nd I don't worry about them breaking. Dependable scopes.
4 What are you going to be using this setup for to better help me decide whoch reticle would fit your application.
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:40
Chris I appreciate your input. This will be used for hunting.  Basically hunting western game and African plains game mostly spot and stalk.  Shots out to 400 yards or so at the furthest.  Let me know if you neefd additonal infomartion.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:43
Once you get to a certain point in optics you pay ALOT MORE $ for a LITTLE BETTER GLASS.
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:45
You might be thinking the same thing I'am. Buy the Kahles and almost have enough extra for a second Kalhes. I od like the 12x over the 10x though.  It's never an easy choice.....
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:46
i think you should order both,call swfa and talk to chrisII.

you can save some more and order that same scope off the sample list for $1000 (kahles)

Edited by pyro6999 - February/20/2009 at 12:49
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:47
I thought about it...But figured the costs savings would be well outweighed by the cost of my divorce.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:48
Sounds good to me!
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 12:59
Originally posted by Mike VS Mike VS wrote:

Chris I appreciate your input. This will be used for hunting.  Basically hunting western game and African plains game mostly spot and stalk.  Shots out to 400 yards or so at the furthest.  Let me know if you neefd additonal infomartion.
Kahles save some money and you will not be dissapointed rest assured.
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:28
Yep, I was reffering to the Kahles on the SWFA sample list. $1000 good price!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:30
i dont think you will be disapointed at all.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 00:03
Kahles would certainly be a sound choice. Thunbs Up
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Mike VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 12:09
I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I ordered the Kahles off the sample list. Thanks.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 12:19
Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic