OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a scope, please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a scope, please help
    Posted: February/19/2009 at 23:28
Ok, so my grandfather gave me a Savage 110 in .338 Win Mag.  It had standard Burris mounts and a cheap Bushnell 4-12 AO scope on it.  I cleaned it up, and had the local gunsmith do some work.  He bedded it it, gave it a trigger job, and I also had him install a Limbsaver recoil pad.  Which is part of the problem.  I have Weaver mounts on the rifle, which helped with the fact that most scopes don't have a long enough tube for the rifle, but with the larger recoil pad there is a new problem- finding a scope with a long enough main tube to fit the rings that also has enough eye relief to accomodate the extra length from the recoil pad.  And no, I'd rather not cut the stock.  The pad wouldn't fit anymore, and I kind of like the added length of pull since I'm 6'4".  So the requirements are:

1.  Must have a fairly long tube.
2.  Must have either a decent amount of eye relief, or quite a bit of length from the rear of the scope to the frontmost part of the tube in order to get the back of the scope close enough to my eye.
3.  I don't hunt much, and I live in a non-rifle state.  Furthermore, I generally prefer my recurve.  So this rifle won't get shot much- maybe a box or two per year.  So I don't want to spend a lot.  Also, I'm in college, so can't afford to spend a lot anyway.
4.  Obviously, whatever I get needs to be pretty durable.  It's going on a .338, and I'll probably keep it on this rifle forever.  I don't want to have to fuss with a busted scope.

Scopes I'm considering include:

1.  Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.  I know for a fact this scope has a long enough tube, and it's also really long from the back of the eyepiece to the front of the main tube.  However, I don't know if it will be durable enough.
2.  Elite 3200, same specs.  I also know this tube will be long enough, because it's the shortest tube that would fit in the old mounts.  The Weaver mounts have about 1/2" extra clearance in front, btw.  However, it doesn't have a lot of eye relief, isn't fully multi-coated, and doesn't have as nice of adjustments as the Nikon.  Probably will handle the recoil, though.
3.  Burris FFII, again 3-9.  When comparing this to the other two, it appears optically inferior to my eyes- which might not really matter since I won't use the rifle much anyway.  Also, not sure it if will be long enough.  However, FFII's are supposed to be pretty durable, especially according to our new member Mr. Barsness.
4.  Monarch 2-7x32 or 3-9x40.  Does anyone know if these two have similar tube lengths?  I think the 3-9x40 would be long enough, but would hate to buy one and find out otherwise.  I know they're good bargains, because I've looked though them before and they seemed like a hell of a buy for the $200 range.  This is about as much as I'm comfortable spending on a scope that will barely get used.
5.  Elite 4200 3-9x40.  Obviously this should handle the recoil, and have nice optics.  However, it still doesn't have much eye relief, and I doubt I could justify the increase in price over the 3200 for a bit better glass.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 23:34

1- Elite 4200

2- Elite 3200

3- See above only

4- IMHO of course you only want to buy once
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:18

Thanks for the quick reply.  Hopefully I can get some more, though.

Honestly, I like the Buckmaster.  It's got the most room for mounting, the glass is plenty good enough for me, the turrets are nice, and the price is right.  If I could buy one and know for a fact that it would be durable, I would probably just get it.  The Elites are probably next in my mind, but have their drawbacks too.  They just don't have much eye relief, the distance from the back of the ocular bell to the front of the main tube isn't quite as long as the Buckmaster(which means less leeway for mounting), and I'd have to spend more than I want to get the 4200; while I'll always wish I had the 4200 if I buy a 3200.

Also, I forgot in my original post to say that if it helps with someone's advice, I have a Weaver 2-10x38 that just doesn't have enough length/eye relief for this gun.  The tube fits in the mounts, but I have to really creep forward on the stock with this scope in place.

I probably shouldn't worry so much about something I'll use so little...
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:29
I would go with this scope for the eye relief and the quality of optics.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:38
Get Your Popcorn Ready

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/21/2009 at 18:12

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:43
DWC39X40N Tasco 3-9x40 World Class Riflescope                                                                                     Tasco 3-9x40 World Class Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 30/30
  • 1"
SWFA: $54.95
More Info... Buy Now
Since you dont want to put much money in it and you already know what rings you want this should match up nicely with the rings you have selected. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/21/2009 at 18:19

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 01:32
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but there's absolutely no way I'm spending $350 or $420 on a scope for this rifle.  And I've already put the Weaver Grand Slam mounts and rings on it that I intend to keep. 
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, there's just no way I could ever justify that kind of money on a riflescope...
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 05:18
If you want to keep the price down and have it handle the recoil, I'd go with the Fullfield II.  Mine has been holding zero very well on my .50 Muzzleloader and it thumps pretty good.  Clarity is not as good as the more expensive offerings mentioned, but is still very good for the price and it is bright in low light again for the money.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 07:06
4200 Elite ... I have a 4200 2.5-10 on my 338 , and it works like a charm... Rainguard is a nice option too...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 07:27
  I just checked the ring spacing on this scope. 5.75" and that's allowing 1/8" behind the objective bell. First one I've handled and it's a very nice scope:

Of course there are other choices in this price range but I don't know their ring space measurements.  Just a suggestion. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 10:53
Terrific!!!

Get an old Weaver with a long tube or a Nikon Buckmaster or a 4200 with a 6.5 Inch tube.....and.............oh, yes.........

MOVE................!!!!  

Roll on Floor Laughing

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 11:00
i would get the nikon team primos, good eye relief, cheap $200, and i have successfully mounted mine on my .264 winmag and also a .375H&H mag so its long enough, nikon told me via email that the primos would handle the .375H&H's recoil, so i would assume it would handle the .338 as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 11:05
You could also go with a picatinny style base that would allow you all kinds of mounting options.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-11552-1775-warne-tactical-1-piece-base.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - February/20/2009 at 11:07
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic