OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Field shooting rest: sling vs backpack vs bipod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Field shooting rest: sling vs backpack vs bipod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:39
read boddingtons article "stand and deliver" in the Jan 2007 edition of RifleShooter mag. craig gives excellent reasons to not only be prepared to take an off hand shot, but also to know when to use extra equipment to help you take an "assisted" shot, face it the more steady you can be the higher the chances of a successful one shot one kill scenario.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:48
I've seen a lot of guys take, (and miss), an offhand shot when two or three steps would have put them against a sturdy TREE!
 That's just too stupid to talk about...

Edited by RONK - February/21/2009 at 08:50
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:53
thats the type of stuff im talking about
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 09:54
I learned how to use the sling while in the Marines. But I am extreamly out of practice.
I have just started learning how to shoot off a bipod and it has about got me convinced to buy another sling!!!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 10:17
 For some reason, I've never shot really well off a bipod, either.  Other guys, like Mark (Cheaptrick), do really well with them. I've seen some very nice groups that he's posted on this site.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:50
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

For some reason, I've never shot really well off a bipod, either.  Other guys, like Mark (Cheaptrick), do really well with them. I've seen some very nice groups that he's posted on this site.

Mine are OK, but you should see some of Mike McDonald's "bipod groups"......Shocked  
Which after witnessing them myself, makes me wonder why he's not a bigger fan of bipod systems.....Wink 

Great thread!! Very informative.

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 11:59
CT,
Thanks for the kind words.

I'n not an opponent of bipods, just don't want to be the carpenter that shows up with only one tool at the barn raising :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:02
My problem really is long time no firearms period! While in the Marines I shot well and often. Since then not to often and...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:05
There is a real plus to having a lot of free ammo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:14
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

CT,

I'n not an opponent of bipods, just don't want to be the carpenter that shows up with only one tool at the barn raising :)

Mike, your the "Bob Villa" of shooting sports! Big Smile  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:24
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

CT,

Hey Mike- I don't know if you think of Bob Villa the way I do, but I'm fairly certain that Mark meant that as a compliment!
 Don't take it the wrong way...Cool
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:25
it could have been worse, he could have called him bobby flay or tim gunn~~
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:32
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

CT,

Hey Mike- I don't know if you think of Bob Villa the way I do, but I'm fairly certain that Mark meant that as a compliment!
 Don't take it the wrong way...Cool

I meant it as a compliment......Smile
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 12:36

I know! I just had to take a friendly jab at you and Bob Villa. 

You know- two birds,one stone...
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 13:50
The best hunting sling I have found is the Butler Creek nylon Mountain Sling:
A.  It is 1 1/4 inches wide, which doesn't cut into your shoulder, and makes for easier carry.
B.  It has a non-slip lining, which is a real help when you are going through rough country.
C.  It is narrow enough to be used quickly as a "hasty" sling.
D.   It can be rolled up and put in your pocket (without taking up a lot of room) when you don't want it in the way.    
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:16
I prefer shooting sticks...while hunting you can use the sticks as a walking cane and then when it comes shooting the sticks provide a good rest. Rifle Looney built me some shooting sticks out of tent poles on a swivel and then putting a little padding near the top where the rifle could rest. Works for me...
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:57
I've used both shooting sticks and Harris bipod (s) (13.5-27"). I like 'em both good for different hunting situations and like anything have some pros/cons.

The Harris is great for flat, most down hill and up hill shooting. It adds some weight to the rifle if your concerned. The only problem I've noticed is many years of use in the field (hard hunting) eventually it starts to put a strain on the area of the front stud. My brother had to replace his m700 factory stud with an Uncle Mike's (threaded). I've noticed that my m700 started doing the same thing and I need to replace it this year as well. Note: We both have m700 laminated stocks and the factory studs are screwed in; the strain causes the screwed stud to eventually pull apart from the stock.

The sticks are very light and great for flat, uphill and down hill shooting. (I usually carry one in my fanny pack).

I have a fanny pack (with shoulder straps) that I use for a rest when over looking an area from a rocky cliff, etc. If I'm going to hunt in an area where I have a long pack/drag then I bring a different setup.

Edited by mike650 - February/28/2009 at 16:43
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 17:37
I use a Harris like yours also Mike. Mine is the 12-25" though I think. It telescopes twice. I never mess with setting the legs too much. I'm either prone, with the legs at their shortest, or if in tall grass, I yank them all the way out quick, and can sit. I can't complain so far. The first year I tried one, I got a 9-13"model with no swivel. That was about useless for hunting.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 17:59
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I use a Harris like yours also Mike. Mine is the 12-25" though I think. It telescopes twice. I never mess with setting the legs too much. I'm either prone, with the legs at their shortest, or if in tall grass, I yank them all the way out quick, and can sit. I can't complain so far. The first year I tried one, I got a 9-13"model with no swivel. That was about useless for hunting.

Tell you the truth I'm not sure the actual extended length of mine (25"or 27") without measuring, I bought it so long ago. Bucky

Sounds like you use your like I do. Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - February/28/2009 at 19:24
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 19:12
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

The 9-13" model is the one I have and I bought it for prone prarie dog shooting. It works fine for that but is, as you mentioned, too short for most other hunting. I had a machinist cut more grooves in the legs between the existing ones to give me more height adjustability.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic