OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Field shooting rest: sling vs backpack vs bipod
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Field shooting rest: sling vs backpack vs bipod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Field shooting rest: sling vs backpack vs bipod
    Posted: February/19/2009 at 15:24
Looking for input on deciding what to use as a shooting rest to use in the field.  I've got a 700 LTR (.308), and currently waiting on a backordered IOR 6 x 42 Tactical from SWFA (wondering if an SS would've been better).  Primary use: long range plinking (up to 800 if I can find somewhere to shoot that far).   Secondary use: hunting deer and coyotes.  Want to stay with the LTR theme of staying (relatively) light.  Tempted by the VTAC and Tactical Solutions long range slings.

Any input? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:17
I like Harris bipods, with the swivel "S" feature and a rear bag. Makes for a decent shooting platform for me. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:13
CT,

Have you heard of any problems with the bipod busting off sling swivel, from leaning into it?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:17
You don't lean into bipods to preload them unless you want one more reason to miss.
Stay neutral on the bipod and concentrate on your larger issue of controlling a very light rifle with hefty muzzle jump.
You'd be well served to learn proper use of a 1907 sling for field use. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:17
Originally posted by G Dubya P G Dubya P wrote:

CT,

Have you heard of any problems with the bipod busting off sling swivel, from leaning into it?

No, Sir.   
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:24

CT,

Do you mean the stud in the forend? If so, I would consider that abuse. unless it was a defective stud to begin with. They are fairly tough, and I've never heard of anyone breaking one myself. I wouldn't worry about that.
  As far as slings go, you'll never find a better hunting sling than Brownell's leather Latigo Sling. Fast, light, easy to adjust, easy to learn and very effective.

Edited to add: I missed Mike's post, but agree about the 1907 sling. The Latigo is used exactly the same way, but I think is just a little faster to adjust to position for heavy clothes, etc.
 I actually have several of each and all work very well, prone or sitting.

Edited by RONK - February/19/2009 at 18:27
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:03

its not possible to preload the really good bipods (sakos), even if it were a good idea. sometimes harris bipods are turned around in gun matches to allow the legs to be flipped down on the start. although your question is concerned with field use, there really isn't much difference, it just a compressed time frame. if are pushing the bipod to keep the stock in your shoulder each shot will rock the legs back and forth digging a bigger hole, unless your on concrete. some of the better shooters backpacks have rabbit ear set up in the outside that work very well. shooting from carry slings in the standing positon has advantages and is a different technique than slinged up as in miltary. you should practice off hand silhoutte shooting with no sling.

jwp475 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwp475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:29

CT,

+1..   Thunbs Up
range it,check the wind, dial in correction,aim,squezze and only one Shot......
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

You don't lean into bipods to preload them unless you want one more reason to miss.
Stay neutral on the bipod and concentrate on your larger issue of controlling a very light rifle with hefty muzzle jump.
You'd be well served to learn proper use of a 1907 sling for field use. 

+1 

Preach on Brother, preach on!!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:10
Wher can I get one of these slings?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:11

Where?? Sorry really tired.

G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 05:34

Mike,

By 1907 sling, are you talking about the leather sling you use for high power and military matches?  I have used these in the past but that was over 10 years ago in the canoe club.  They lock you into the gun but they are a little slow to get into.  Was looking for something a little quicker (again, if you are referring to the military leather slings). 

G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 05:37

CT,

The busted sling swivel question comes from one of the snipers hide threads (I think the one you put up) talking about bipods.  I believe one of the guys commented that he had busted two sling swivel studs on an LTR.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 07:09
It should take about 2 seconds to lock into a preset 1907 sling with only a little practice.
You should be able to do it subconciously on your way from standing to kneeling.
If you want something faster, take a look at Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff sling.
The cuff stays on your arm and when you need a sling, the fastex buckle snaps the rifle to the cuff and you're ready to shoot.
Call SWFA, I know Chris has them available.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 21:40

The Quick Cuff seems like a great idea. I think some guys actually sew them or something similar right onto the upper sleeve of their coat or jacket.

Getting back to the tried and true 1907 -- it's easy to mark the holes for any given position or clothing system to sort of  "preset" them as Mike mentioned. The key is practice; something I personally need to get back into, BTW...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 22:42
But which do you prefer for the prone pos. ? Sling, bipod, or a backpack type rest ?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:21
Depends on whether you're shooting on a manicured range, off the side of a mountain, or in tall prairie grass.
Bipods rule the range with ruck sacks second, as long as you know that everything in the ruck moves with every shot, making you reconstruct your NPA every time.
On the mountain the sling is king.
In the grass that 6-9 inch bipod is not going to let you do anyting at all, so a sling and modified sitting or kneeling position is in your favor.

I try to stress the importance of learning the sling to every shooter I instruct but few take the time because it requires time and some devotion and the willingness to accept a shooting position that may not be comfortable and easy.

Use what your lifestyle has time for.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:27
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

But which do you prefer for the prone pos. ? Sling, bipod, or a backpack type rest ?

I suppose it's possible to use all three at the same, if you really wanted to!

A lot of guys like bipods, some of them are tall enough to use in a sitting or kneeling position. For most varmint hunting, except gopher or prarie dog shooting, I think I would get a tall one if I went that route, because there are a lot of times you need to get high enough to clear grass or snow. A prone-only setup will cost you shot opportunities.
 I personally don't like having a bipod on a hunting rifle, mostly for the slight carrying awkwardness, but I must concede that they have a definite place in many situations.

If you're carrying a backpack anyway, they make great prone rests, and an external-frame type one could probably be used sitting or kneeling quite effectively as well.

I NEED a good sling for carrying the rifle if I'll be walking any distance, so it might as well be one that can be used as a shooting aid, too.

Edited to add:
 Well I guess I pretty much wasted the last ten minutes of my life typing this up...

Edited by RONK - February/21/2009 at 08:30
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:30

Since you are talking hunting, I wold suggest a daypack and extendable shooting sticks, along with learning to use a shooting sling. I have hunted and guided quite a bit, and have seen almost as many opportunities blown by hunters dinking around with a bipod attached to their rifle as by hunters dinking around with their scope.

A moderate-sized daypack filled with the necessities for a day's hunt (extra layers of clothes, camera, lunch, knives, etc.) is quicker than a bipod for prone shots. EXtendable shooting sticks are an enormous help in any position from sitting to offhand--especially ofhand.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 08:34
 Hello John! Glad to see you here!
 I agree with you about the daypack, but I always smash my peanut butter sandwich when shooting off it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic