OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed power vs Variable power scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your preference for big game hunting
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [16.13%]
21 [67.74%]
5 [16.13%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed power vs Variable power scopes
    Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:04
Gentlemen, take a moment to cast a vote in this poll if you please. Also, if you could tell me what type of hunting you (deer, elk etc.) and the type of terrain you typically hunt in (close cover, mixed or western type open terrain) I would appreciate that as well.

If you have experienced a failure, please explain in a post what type of failure you had. I am interested in mechanical failures such as wandering POI, failure to hold zero, fogging etc. Please don't tell me about a broken scope that got ran over by a Jeep, ATV or four legged flea circus (horse).

Edited by Roy Finn - February/19/2009 at 14:49
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:08
A variable is my choice, as the word implies: it's useful for variable type of conditions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:12
Heavy hardwoods & conifers, generally short ranges (100 yd would be max).  Driven deer. Use 1.75-4, but scope has always been left on 1.75.  Have not had the need or opportunity (yet) to increase mag for a shot.

Could have used fixed low but thought this would give me a little more flex if ever in position for longer shot.  The big FOV is important to me.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:12
i cannot see any reason to limit yourself in this day and age to one power, scopes today are to well built to be stuck on one power. i hunt timber mostly shots range from 10 ft to 100 yds under most circumstances, although we do have a few stands that you could make a 400yd+ poke at a deer. when i lived in wyoming i hunted with a 3x9 in the pines or walking along the ridges it didnt matter, same with coyote hunting, at times 3x on a coyote 8ft away wasnt real comfortable, and i didnt have a shot gun to carry along. course when a coyote is that close to you, you just hit em with the stock of the rifle, less to sew up that way.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:15
I prefer variables in general, however, I do enjoy using my little fixed 4X Conquest.  It kinda depends on the rifle and what I plan to do with it as to which I'd choose.

Edited by RifleDude - February/19/2009 at 22:27
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:22
75% of hunting Deer is in scrub post oak with less than 50 yds visability. Then some over soybean and corn fields with open field as much as 1-3 miles open. Normaly have a different rifle setup for the area and game I plan to hunt.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:23
I've been on a fixed 4X kick for a while now. No problems from 25 to 200 yards, which is primarily the distances that I hunt. I am hunting classic up-north Michigan swales. I like the idea of pointing and shooting, my variables are all set at 4X most of the time anyway. I guess my new love for fixed 4's is kind of a simplicity thing.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 14:38
I'm also voting for variables, but I have a fixed 4X Conquest that works great... I like it a lot.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:16
Opened up a can o worms did ya?  I hunt mostly desert terrain..  mountains consisting of scrub oak, junipers,pinion pines cactus,sage in the lower parts .  no failers thus far.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 17:24
I hunt hardwoods and open fields, shots are from 20 yards to over 500 yards (I don't shoot that far).  I've had a variable fail, never had a fixed fail....but that isn't a fair statement because I only have one or two fixed scopes.

My failure was a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.  It lost point of impact on about the 3rd shot.  It was on my Encore (7mm Mag).  Zeiss solved my problem fast and they were really nice about it...so all's well that ends well.

I also sent a Mueller variable back because it had condensation inside the scope...they mailed me a new one.

Edited by swtucker - February/19/2009 at 17:43
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 17:38
What type of failure did you have? Did you get the scope fixed?
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 17:40
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

What type of failure did you have? Did you get the scope fixed?

sorry...edited my postBig Smile
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:01
Deer hunting in tree claims (10 yards) to open fields, pastures etc. (400 plus yards).  Every deer I have taken has been 150 yd or less.  Have a 3x9 but it rarely goes above 5.  Do a lot of still hunting so some things can jump up real close.  Have never had any problems.  No fogging, POI change etc.  Mounted on a .270 so not a real recoil monster.  Leupy Vari X-II friction turrets.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:12
   I voted for the variables. I reckin I've been lucky as far as scope failures go. Had an AO ring tighten up but that's been it for both variables and fixed.  I'm in WV and hunt the thick stuff,open hardwood ridges,clear cuts,and some mine reclamation sites. Shots can be from up close and personal out to no more than 350yds. I could get by with a fixed X I'm sure and I've got two mounted on carbines but for a one rifle,all around use set-up I want a variable. Use to use a Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40AO when I did alot of groundhog huntin but now use low X variables. I used a 4X scope for awhile but when I got a 2.5X I found I liked it more for woods huntin so figured even less would be better. Got a 1.5X-6X and a 1.75X-6X now and they work fine for me.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:41
My vote went for variable scopes. I mostly hunt open desert so a variable scope is my best option, I never know where I might see a deer.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 18:50
I like and use both fixed and variable scopes. In general on deer rifles (.30-06/7mm Magnum recoil or less) there will rarely be a problem with any scope, especially since most hunters don't shoot all that much.

I have seen too many variables fail in some fashion to count anymore, but I hunt a LOT, and the vast majority of those failures has been on rifles of .300 magnum and up.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:32
I cast my vote for the variable. I don`t want to be limited to one fixed power for all types of situations.

The fixed are less complicated and as such maybe more reliable. But, I`ve never had a variable fail on me yet. It doesn`t take long to adjust a variable from the low end to the 5x or 6x for a longer shot.

While on a stock, if I know ahead of time the approx range for the kill shot, I`ll adjust the scope prior to setting up to take that shot.

That`s one area I`ll disagree with Wayne Van Zwoll on.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:45
John Barsness, could you give some more detail regarding the failures? In other words, did they fail due to accumulated recoil or did they have their potential life shortened through some other means.
tracker12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracker12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:24
Can't vote but I can post.  I vote vari all the way.  I have never had a failure in a scope in over 35 years.  Testiment to Leupold I guess.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:52
no failures yet.  1 Weaver 4x (70's) and a few 4x rimfires - all the rest were variables.  Deer hunting in timber; some small - some big and open country.  Don't think I've ever shot at a deer more than 300 yds away.  I have shot at coyotes farther and maybe hit one.  Most of my plinking has been 200 yds or less. 
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic