OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how to get reticle perfectly aligned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 11:45
These work great!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 13:53
Yea, that's the first tool I ever bought, but as I said, these don't work either if your reticle isn't perfectly horizontal with your turret cap. That's what I've run into on a couple different scopes over the years.

Edited by yellowdog - November/14/2009 at 15:44
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 13:57
The flat underside on a number of scopes is indexed to the reticle AND the turrets.
surely not on all scopes, But for sure I know that Nightforce, SuB and Zeiss have it that way.
With this flat you can simply put something flat underneat lika gauge blocks, a drill bit or whatever to straighten it up against the picatinny rail.

On my own mount I have put a 10 degree slant in the base.
As you can see here

With this 10 Degree surface (it's a 4mm slot) I stick in a 10 degree device that forces the scope in the correct rotation.

Within very short time is the scope mounted perfectly in rotation.
But as I said, this can be done on any scopemount placed on a picatinnyrail, I just don't have any photos of that.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 12:11
Here is the method I use to level the reticle. First start off with a pefectly level Decker Rifle vise. Secure the rifle in a level position with the bases attached and level.

Next, mount the scope in the top half of the rings adjust for proper eye relief (yes you can install the top ring caps, but loosy so you can move the scope according to suit proper eye from various shooting positions. Once set, set another small level on top of the elevation turret assure the level from scope bases and turret csp are fairly even.

Edited by Roy Finn - November/18/2009 at 12:00
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 18:49
The EXD scope level tool is the easiest, best device I've seen for leveling scopes.  It's available from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6097/Product/EXD_ENGINEERING_VERTICAL_RETICLE_INSTRUMENT

You simply lay the lower v-block on the barrel and slide the upper v-block over the objective bell, tighten the tension screw and level the rifle.  You don't have to depend on a flat anywhere on the rifle.  I am grateful to Sakomato for making me aware of this great tool!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
IBGOOSE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBGOOSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 13:22
I use a 8 inch level seems to do a good job but be careful when you tighten the rings somtimes tighting to much will pull the scope out of balance Smoking
IBGOOSE Lead Follow or get out of the way
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 13:58
FDeeler guages, they don't require the rifle be level too.

Almost idiot proof.
Almost.

$7 at Sears.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic