OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how to get reticle perfectly aligned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to get reticle perfectly aligned
    Posted: February/19/2009 at 09:17
New to OT and looking for advice.  I have a 700 LTR (.308).  Just got my Seekins rings and base.  I have an IOR 6 x 42 Tactical on back order.  When I get it, how do I mount it so the reticle is perfectly aligned straight up and down?  Don't want to crank on elevation and find I'm inadvertently cranking on a slight bit of windage too.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 09:20
Use a level.  Mount your gun in something sturdy.  Sit the level on your base make sure your gun is level.  Then when you put your scope on sit the level on the turret cap and make sure it is also level.  Then torque your caps down to spec and you should be level.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 09:23
Okay, sounds simple.  In the past I've tried eyeballing it (with hunting scopes) but have always noticed just a little bit of misalignment.
Thanks, for reply.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 09:26
  I"ve been using the Segway Reticle Leveler for years. Recently though I've been switching to vertical split rings. With a variable scope I simply center the power alignment mark on the scope tube with the split in the rear ring. I've double checked with the Segway tool but I don't feel I need to anymore.
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 09:31
300 S&W,

Is that reticle leveler the one with the horizontal lines and level bubble on it?  I've think I've seen it before but didn't know if it was worth buying.  The rings I got are horizontal.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 10:01

That's the one. Mine's an old one before they put the level on it. I've found that the easiest way to use them is to cover up the objective lense(I've got BC caps on mine so I close it)and shine a flashlight into the ocular end. This allows you to see the horizontal reticle out to its edges. Alternate your tigtening of the rings from one side to the other and don't tighten them to much at once. 

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 10:15

You can use two .99 cent levels from the dollar store and use Supertool's way. Cheap and it works great! That is how we do it here.

One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 13:56
CF II,

Why use 2 levels?  One to check the base (and gun) are still level and one to make sure the scope is level?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:19
    Excellent this is true.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:24
Originally posted by G Dubya P G Dubya P wrote:

CF II,

Why use 2 levels?  One to check the base (and gun) are still level and one to make sure the scope is level?
Correct, because if the scope is level and the gun is not the scope will be off once you pick it up and straighten the gun. Make Sense?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:29
I use a masonary line level and supertool's method.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:45
We use this one for the gun http://www.ctkprecision.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6 and just a cheap cube level to set on the turret of the scope.

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/19/2009 at 16:47
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 17:24

Thanks guys, little things like this drive me nuts.  The level ideas are great. 

Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 13:06
I used supertool's method and the 'Clinometer' app on my iphone.  Clinometer is turns your iphone into a mini level.  Pretty cool.

I think my head must be crooked because every scope I look into seems to have a tilted reticle. Whacko
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 13:09
Originally posted by Heavishot Heavishot wrote:

I think my head must be crooked because every scope I look into seems to have a tilted reticle. Whacko

That is actually pretty common I think.  A person does not mount the rifle level to their shoulder so it looks canted to your eye.  Or you are bringing your head down to the rifle instead of mounting the rifle high in your shoulder pocket so it aligns with your eye not the other way around.  Which in turn makes your head tilted

Edited by supertool73 - February/20/2009 at 13:10
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:55
I think I just have a crooked head.
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:56

....also because I have the same problem.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:57
A lot of people are that way. Chris our owner can tell if a scope is straight or not but, if he holds the gun how he shoots when it is straight the reticle is crooked to him. A lot of people don't hold it straight. Adjust it to fit your needs. Or change your shooting position IE where you place your cheek as Supertool Stated.

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/20/2009 at 14:58
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 15:01
my wifes cousin picks up my rifle and tells me i have a ghetto style scope, because we shoulder a rifle differently, to me it looks pretty straight and to him its cocked. i realize the closer to perfectly straight you can mount a scope the more accurate it will be, but at the same time i wont give up comfort, if it was for a target rifle then i would change something.

Edited by pyro6999 - February/20/2009 at 15:01
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 08:35
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Use a level.  Mount your gun in something sturdy.  Sit the level on your base make sure your gun is level.  Then when you put your scope on sit the level on the turret cap and make sure it is also level.  Then torque your caps down to spec and you should be level.

This works great, but only if the reticle in the scope is level with the turret caps.  I have run into this before where the reticle wasn't level with the caps, then your back to square one.

What I ended up doing was leveling the rifle, then drew a dark thin line on the wall with a level, then looked through the scope & leveled the reticle to the line on the wall. You could also hang a plumb bob from the ceiling & use your verticles to do the same thing, but it's a little harder to see. You obviously need a little distance to do this, it isn't something you can do in your living room or you'll get the big blur.

Edited by yellowdog - November/14/2009 at 08:51
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic