OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Torque Wrench Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracker12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Wrench Recommendation
    Posted: February/19/2009 at 07:44
Looking for an adjustable torque wrench for use to install rings and bases.  Not looking for the cheapest but one that is adjustable and accurate.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 08:02
God save the Empire!
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 08:56
I use a small craftsman torque wrench from my tool box. It's not application specific like the Wheeler, but it does the job. I put rings at 15in.lb. and action screws at 40in.lb. It costed about $79. If you happen to have a regular in./lb. torque wrench, I wouldn't run out and buy one just for your scopes, just get a socket for that for your action screws, and ring screws. If you don't already have one, then knock yourself out. Either of the above should work fine. I have heard that some of the Wheeler's don't hold the bits very well, but can't confirm that.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
LSUSPY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSUSPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 11:01
I just purchased the Wheeler myself. It offers the correct adjustment range for any rifle application. I purchased it on sale here:

"To kill you must know your enemy. In this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like the Viet Cong...Varmint Cong..."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 11:04
We cannot post links to competitors web sites which is why the link above has been altered.  If SWFA does not sell the Wheeler you should be able to find a list of dealers in the site I posted earlier.
God save the Empire!
tracker12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracker12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 11:39
Thanks!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 12:33
In my opinion the best for rings is the Utica TS-35. You can find them used for $35-50. These are actually professional grade tools.

Edited by sholling - February/19/2009 at 21:36
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:55
I use the Warne one........ its not adjustable, set at 25 in/lbs.
take em!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:18
OK ready for this, so what listen anyway....I tighten them till the little wrench bends while holding it between my index finger and thumb. No more ....guess what never had a set or a base come loose call it lucky or whatever it works.

Edited by rifle looney - February/19/2009 at 21:19
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:57
I bought a in/lbs specific torque wrench off of E-bay about 10 years ago for this specific purpose.  At that time, they were kinda hard to come by.  You could find all of the ft/lbs torque wrenches that you wanted, but the in/lbs were pretty rare.  I think that I paid about $40 or so if I remember correctly.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 22:31
For one thing, good rings tighten better than crap rings like the Tascos I got talked into once!

I don't have a 15 in-lb. wrench but can certainly vouch for the quality of the Seekonk 65 in-lb. T-handle wrench. Nightforce and Leupold rebrand the exact same wrench: http://www.swfa.com/pc-2900-594-leupold-mark-4-torque-wrench.aspx (and it used to be that both charged more than if you looked for the Seekonk-branded item but I see that's no longer the case...at least with the Leupold-branded version). From what I've gathered, the adjustable wrenchs (except for the expensive ones) are little better than rifle looney's method. Even the quality fixed wrenches can vary +- several percent.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 23:04
 Did not say they were good just that it works!  Wink
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 23:18
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

From what I've gathered, the adjustable wrenchs (except for the expensive ones) are little better than rifle looney's method. Even the quality fixed wrenches can vary +- several percent.

The FAT Wrench is probably not calibrated and I have no idea how repeatable. My experience with Wheeler products has been mixed and I wouldn't call it a professional grade tool. That's why I recommend the Utica. It's a $200 professional grade tool that comes from the factory with a calibration certificate. Plus/minus 3% if I remember correctly. That's better repeatability than most mechanics' torque wrenchs. The ones you find on ebay for $35-50 usually have an expired cert but as long as you get one that's in good shape it should be plenty good enough for mounting scopes.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:13
Sholling... that is definitely a nice tool wouldn't mind having one ....maybe recheck my method?.....not......  but it is nice,thanks for sharing that.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 00:19

I just bought one of the Warne ones but I have mounted a lot of scopes without one just by feel so I hope to use it soon to try it out.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
oyeme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 20:46
I bought one of these from Brownells 3 months ago and it is the best I have ever used.  You can work up to exact torque you want in any increment amount even 1 inch pounds if you want.  I love mine. 

MAGNA-TIP® ADJUSTABLE TORQUE HANDLE

MAGNA-TIP~ ADJUSTABLE TORQUE HANDLE
Stock NumbersSpecificationsEmail a Tech-->

Mfr: BROWNELLS

Apply An Exact Amount Of Pre-Set Tightening Force; Accepts All Magna-Tip Bits

Bill E.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

From what I've gathered, the adjustable wrenchs (except for the expensive ones) are little better than rifle looney's method. Even the quality fixed wrenches can vary +- several percent.

The FAT Wrench is probably not calibrated and I have no idea how repeatable. My experience with Wheeler products has been mixed and I wouldn't call it a professional grade tool. That's why I recommend the Utica. It's a $200 professional grade tool that comes from the factory with a calibration certificate. Plus/minus 3% if I remember correctly. That's better repeatability than most mechanics' torque wrenchs. The ones you find on ebay for $35-50 usually have an expired cert but as long as you get one that's in good shape it should be plenty good enough for mounting scopes.
One of our labs/shops has a suretest calibration bench.  I have tested my FAT wrench and it is consistent to within +/- 1 in/lb.  That is more than sufficient for the precision required by most scope mount requirements.  I do not know how long it will hold that level, it doesn't get a lot of  use, so a gunsmith doing a LOT of scope mounts may require a much higher quality instrument.  I also cannot speak to quality overall of Wheeler FAT wrenches.  Mine is the only one I have ever tested and it was only one test, just because it was there.  My FAT may be bad tomorrow, but it was good when it was tested.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic