OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FFP or SFP which one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFP or SFP which one?
    Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:33
 I'm gonna buy a new scope and I'm not sure what to do. I really like the vortex viper but there BDC & mil dots are SFP. I read Koshkins review on 4X12X40 BDC and that pretty much sold it for me, but I could use anyones help with this. The way I understand it is the scope must be shot on the highest power or the BDC & mil dots won't work correctly. Is this right? If not then how? Also thinking about the 6.5X20X44 with mil dots, but if the highest power must be used that might be to high magnifacation for hunting. Help please thanks. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:37
What caliber and how far do you plan on shooting?

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:38
( I hope he shoots your avatar...........)    Wink
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Jeff7mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:43
7mag out 700 yards
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:45
Well you shouldn't need to use the holdover really out to 300 if you sight in for your point blank range.  Then beyond that it should not be a problem to have it on 12x to use it.

Edited by supertool73 - February/18/2009 at 17:45
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:47
Welcome, I have gone over this a few times on other posts but here is my suggestion.  Find a scope that you can get kenton knobs for http://www.kentonindustries.com/
SII416X42 Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope                                                                                         Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $369.95
More Info... Buy Now
424164SF Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $429.95
More Info... Buy Now
Dial in correction to compensate for trajectory.  Dont worry about which reticle so long as you can see it well. Illuminated reticles do help. Really high power balistic reticle scopes are not as practical as 10x or lower scopes with balistic reticles because you have to turn the power down to brighten up the scope in low light and the BDC only works at the highest power.  There are some FFP scopes that have marks which can be used for known hold over.  They cost a lot. Ex:
LEU60035 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 1st Focal Plane Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M3 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,579.95
More Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/18/2009 at 17:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Jeff7mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:47
I'm gonna sight in for 200 yards zero
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 17:52
You will have around a 7 in drop then at 300.  YOu should be able to hold for that without hold overs or anything.  Even at 300 you could use 12x with no problem

Jeff7mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 18:13
are the kennton dails good and i no nothing about sightron scopes are they any good
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:47
Sightrons are very good.  Slightly better optically than the 4200 to my eyes.  Dials are way nice and resettable.  

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 01:18
Originally posted by Jeff7mag Jeff7mag wrote:

are the kennton dails good and i no nothing about sightron scopes are they any good

I would recommend both products. Kenton makes nice turrets, and if you put them on a nice Sightron, you should have a winner. I would like to put some on a S3, just for kicks. They don't make them for the S3 just yet unfortunately, but they are coming soon!

Edited by trigger29 - February/20/2009 at 01:20

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 10:52
Have several Sightrons and like them for the price.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 11:05
the problem with the 4200's is they have very minimal adjustment travel, the 3x9 only has like 50moa and the 6x24 has like 26moa, so the 4x16 is probably in between those too, i will check on that.

ok the 4200 4x16 has 50 moa too, maybe thats not such a big deal then.

Edited by pyro6999 - February/20/2009 at 11:08
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic