OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help...
    Posted: February/18/2009 at 05:17
I am looking for new scope and surfing in web for days and can not decide, because of wide choice and my lack of expirience.
which of these scopes has better glass (clearer) and low light ability:

Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42;
Bushnell Legend 3200 5-15x40;
Burris Euro Diamond 2,5-10x44;
Sightron S2 4-16x42;
Vortex Viper 4-12x40;
Leupold VX-II 4,5-14x40;

please help (!!)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 07:26
  Since some of the scopes you've asked about are well over $500 I'd also consider these:
         Look at the power range that interests you as there are rebates available.

This one would be hard to beat.

Edited by 300S&W - February/18/2009 at 07:27
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 07:49
In that over $500 range I'd look at these too.

This would be a good low light scope with great glass

If low light performance is key, personally I would skip the high magnification and invest in better glass. More magnification doesn't mean better low light performance.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 08:39
is there a need for 4x16 scopes? are you hunting in areas that require that much power??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rapsy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 10:19
"need" - is interesting word. I gues moust of us if there would be "need", could shoot in our hunting areas with no scope at all. I know that in dawn there is definetly "need" for smal magnification, but I feel "need" in dayligt, longranges for magnification over x10. for big game I have elite 4200 2,5-10x50 (.30-06) and Zeiss Victory 3-12x56 (.300 winmag), I need something for my .223 for more fun and varmints, but I need to go in tight budget this time. I just need to know which of those scopes (above) would be with better glass...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 10:31
sightron sII big sky is pretty nice, as is the vortex viper. the monarch aint no slouch either the bushnell and the leupold arent really in the same category.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 10:41
I just got a Sightron sII Big Sky on loan to play with yesterday.  I compared it a little last night to my Bushnell 4200.  To my eye the Sightron appears to have better glass.  It is definitely clearer to the edges of the glass.  The 4200 gets fuzzy around the edges, but the Sightron looked clear right to the edge to me.
I compared them in low light just as it was getting dark, though the 4200 is a 3-9x40 and the Sightron is a 1.25-5x20.  The sightron seemed just as good when both were at 3x.  Now if it will just hold up to the 45-70 recoil it might be a dandy scope.

They have pop up resettable adjustments as well, which is really nice.  My first impressions of Sightron is good and I would not hesitate to buy one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rapsy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 12:47
supertool, thx for answer - that kind of answers I am looking for here...
by the way nice profile picture :)
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 13:15
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.  But, you have to take into consideration the application and the power rang at both ends of the scope.

Jim
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 13:17
I think a 4x bottom end is fine.  I have shot deer and elk and varmints as close as 40 to 50 feet with 4x and never had a problem.  Biggest downside to a 16x in my book is it is typically a larger and heavier scope, but to some people that is not an issue.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 17:10
The Sightron S2 is the best bang for the buck and is better in low light .The Nikon Monarch is also fine scope.The Bushnell Legend or 3200 are better scopes than the VXII.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic