OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pistol reloading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol reloading
    Posted: February/16/2009 at 15:31
Hey guys just wondering who reloads for a handgun, particular for .40 S&W?  I reload for .25-06 and .204 right now, but just recently got a handgun.  Just would like to know if their are any differences in reloading for rifle and handgun.  Any tricks, safety issues to watch out for, or just some general information would be great.  I'm never let down by the advice I get here so thanks in advance.
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:09
Read the section on loading pistol cartridges in your loading manual and you shouldn't have much trouble.  I will be glad to offer any assistance that I can if you have any issues or specific questions.
I would give you my two cents worth, but then you would probably have to give half to the gov't and what good is one penny
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:39
 I don't load for the .40.  What I can tell you is that the round is very sensative to seating depth because of the pressure levels it produces. I'd stay in the medium burn powerders.  Look at VihtaVuori and Acurate Arms sites for some better options.    
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:53
The only pistol round I load for is my 44 rem mag.  These straight walled cases require a separate die for flaring out the mouth of the case before seating a bullet.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 17:03
Well for most pistol rounds you have 3 dies instead of 2. Ok I'm just being a smart @$$. I just started loading for the 40 S&W, but I have been loading other pistol calibers for a long time. I'm loading 165gr fmj for practice. I'm using Unique powder (can't remeber the charge weight, it's in my notes at home) and CCI small pistol primers. I like to pick powders for pistols that fill the case when the bullit is seated to reduce the airspace in the case, also if I double charge the case the powder will spill out so I know I screwed up.
That extra die is for belling the case mouth to accept the bullit without shaving the side of the bullit when seating it. Bell the case mouth only enough so the base of the bullit fits in the case mouth.
Hope this helps.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 01:56
+1 for Silver's comment on seating depth.
+1 for BeltFed's Unique recommendation.

Glock .40's (and apparently some other .40's) have an "unsupported chamber".  Several reloading manuals point this out, and print extra cautions or caveats about reloading for such pistols.  Also, some lead bullet reloads may cause lead accumulation in Glock barrels and cause a "KaBoom".  (Gun Tests ran an article on this in 1994). 

If you are shooting an extra small compact .40, you may also have a little less margin for error.

I reload for everything BUT my Glock and ultracompact .40's.

Edited by Longhunter - February/17/2009 at 02:12
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 05:24
I looked in the Hornady book last night and that book show the round liked Power Pistol ( Hurco improved, for us old farts) and Blue dot.   True Blue maybe an interesting powder.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 07:34
try to use four dies, the 3 mentioned and a taper crimp die, this will give you more uniform neck tension, and act as a swaging die if your loading cast bullets,. most blown glock barrels are from people loading too hot and not the lead bullets. Universal and HS6 are two outstanding choices both burn cleaner than unique, not sure blue dot will give you enough loading density.
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 07:55

My die set has a die that seats and crimps.  You can set the die up to seat and crimp in the same operation.  I prefer to seat and then crimp.  I have a spacer that is part of a Redding kit.  You first set the die up to crimp. Then take the die out of the press, place the spacer between the die and the press, and reinstall the die.  This will allow you to seat or crimp without having to adjust the die in the press - other than the seating stem.  I would buy an additional crimping die if I were to go to a progressive press.

I would give you my two cents worth, but then you would probably have to give half to the gov't and what good is one penny
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 10:56

just make sure its a taper crimp and not a roll crimping die. most taper crimp dies do not have a seater in them because it would push the bullet into the case at the same time its squeezing it.

Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 11:33
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I have a Taurus 24/7, I'm pretty sure that when I took the barrel out and slid a bullet case in the round looked supported all the way around.  One wouldn't think that loading for a pistol could be so complicated but the pressures I've heard and read about in the .40 had me a little nervous.  I plan on looking through my Nosler and Hornady books some more so I have a better idea on how to go about things.  I'm not going to be loading any hot rounds, probably just stay middle of the road to be safe.  Thanks for all the input.
scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 20:55
It's easier to "double charge" a pistol round compared to a riffle.
Single stage presses suck for reloading lots of pistola rounds.
Turret presses will spoil you.

EnjoyBucky

ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 23:35
Automatics are a pain to load for cause they throw the brass.
You will like that you can use carbide dies so no case lube needed with them.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/10/2009 at 16:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 16:36
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Glock .40's (and apparently some other .40's) have an "unsupported chamber".  Several reloading manuals point this out, and print extra cautions or caveats about reloading for such pistols.  Also, some lead bullet reloads may cause lead accumulation in Glock barrels and cause a "KaBoom".  (Gun Tests ran an article on this in 1994). 

If you are shooting an extra small compact .40, you may also have a little less margin for error.

If I can ever find some small pistol primers I plan to load .40 S&W - I've got everything but. I have a Springfield XD 3" sub-compact, how do I know if it has an "unsupported chamber"? What do I look for? Thanks.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 08:38
spend the extra 10 bucks and buy the carbide dies saves you a bunch of time and money!!!! no lube no mess
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 10:33
I use a Dillon Square Deal 'B' with cast bullets (cheap practice) and Hodgdon HP-38 for both my .40 S&W and my .45acp.  I load the .40 at 4.1 grains with the 175gr lead bullets and it makes for a great range load and not much muzzle flip.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 10:36
Originally posted by tpcollins tpcollins wrote:

Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

If I can ever find some small pistol primers I plan to load .40 S&W - I've got everything but. I have a Springfield XD 3" sub-compact, how do I know if it has an "unsupported chamber"? What do I look for? Thanks.

I'm got a little over 500 rounds through my XD40 with cast bullets without so much as a hiccup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic