OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FOP range report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOP range report
    Posted: February/15/2009 at 18:00
Took my son to the FOP range to work on some loads and have some fun and enjoy the day.  At 12 noon it was sunny and 65, with a 2-3 west to east breeze at 90 degrees in other words "Perfect Day to Shoot".  Had 2 loads go sub half MOA.  43.0gr Varget at 2610fps and 44.5grs at 2725fps.  PIX coming forthwith. Big Smile

EDITED for Grammer police looking over my shoulder!!!   LOL

Edited by Steelbenz - February/15/2009 at 18:01
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:24
Ok, I figured this loading Pix out.
here you go.

Edited by Steelbenz - February/15/2009 at 20:30
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 03:55
Damn it, Michael, that's some fine shootin!!  Shocked 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 04:40
Now that is a really nice set of targets. I take it to be a 308 Win?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 06:07
Oops, sorry Wouter!!!!  yes it is!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 18:22
Thanks Mark, I can't wait to reload them with the 250 primers and see if they will tighten up.
That is 100 yards off the bipod and a small bag of rice.  A trick I learned in the P.I.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 20:54
Excellent  Great shooting!  Man I have to get back to reloading!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 15:36
Good shooting Steel. What rifle did you use?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 20:12
Remington 700VS southpaw. 26 inch barrel with a 10X42M super sniper.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 20:15
the 44.5gr of Varget pushed the 168s at 2725fps. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 17:53
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Remington 700VS southpaw. 26 inch barrel with a 10X42M super sniper.

Head Bang
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 19:11
You know the more I looked at the first target the more I hate Flyers!!!  LOL
That would have been a killer group.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:19
Steel, do you chronograph your shots and shoot groups at the same time? If you do chrono your loads what chronograph are you using?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 18:29
I'm using a PACT model 1XP.  Yes, my son thinks i do it just to embarrass him.  I tell him No. I'm just a gun geek. I was really getting data to compare loads with different primers and bullets.  I don't always drag out the crono just to shoot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:57
Steel, that's some fine shooting. We need to get together and blaze some targets sometime.  Flip for who shoots first, grade is based upon how close each successive round comes to the previous shooter's bullet hole.  It's FUN.  A beer a shot (much more fun than golf).

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 21:09
Thanks Dan,  We do need to get out and shoot some.  But that .458 Lott covers aLOTT more (pun intended) target with one round than a measly .308. We have to shoot for cokes also, I don't drink.  LOL
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 21:18
I'll go with Gatorade... I do drink beer, though, about a six pack a year.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 07:12
Man, Thats some NICE shootin there Steel!  I see I have alot of room for improvement!  Luckily I am still new enough to scopes and hi pwr rifles not to get discouraged if all my groups aren't MOA or better.  I am seeing a trip by trip improvement right now which is extremely satisfying. 

I also just ran across the sticky Post that Dan imported from Snyper's Hide on fundamentals.  I still have hours of reading to do there, but from the couple of hours I spent there last night I learned alot.  All my shooting to this point has been intuitive and done alone.  I can see now where having a menitor or tutor with professional training would be a remendous asset!  Also, a trained observer will see things the shooter can't.

I have so many learning curves going simultaneously that I am surprised I can hit the side of the proverbial barn. LOL  But watch out!  I am learning fast and with a little instruction will hopefully become some serious competition for ya!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 21:51
Oh yes, there is a lot of info out there!!!  I was blessed that my dad taught marksmanship for a while in the army.  I got my basics from him, then engagement weapons school and finally a Master Chief Gunners Mate I shot with at the Pac Fleet matches at Camp Pendelton.  That was all service rifle stuff, using scopes is fairly new to me also. I learn more and more everyday from someone picking up tips here and there. I used to think  my old tag line was all you really needed  B.R.A.S.S.   Breathe, Relax, Aim, Squeeze, Shoot! boy was I wrong. Welcome to the theoricial learning room, the rest you got to get at the range. There is a lot of folks out there that would smoke me in high power matches.  Quite a few, right here on the OT.

Edited by Steelbenz - February/25/2009 at 22:04
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2009 at 22:01
Dale,

I'm a firm believer in learning the basic fundamentals of shooting.  One that cannot be overly stressed is that your gear MUST
fit, whether it's gear you wear, or gear you hold.
When you reach this understanding it's possible to produce some pretty consistant results;

Here's one of Mike McDonald's targets. I'd go to a match that he's shooting in just to watch and learn.

Edited by Steelbenz - February/25/2009 at 22:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic