OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compact spotting scope choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact spotting scope choices
    Posted: February/15/2009 at 11:08
Newb here looking for advice on compact spotting scopes.  I'm pleading for you help as I have made some bad optics choices in the past (Brunton Eterna 10x32 for example).  I'm looking for a compact SS for hunting and range work.  Requirements are that it be good in low light situatuions (75% of my hunting) and light weight (I cover several miles a day).  I've researched this forum and it sounds like the Leupold Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact is the way to go  My questions are...

1. Is the extra $125 for the kit the way to go?
2.  What about the Bushnell Elite 15-40x60 mm?
3.  Am I missing any other ones?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:14
The 60 mm Bushnell Elite is a good scope.  It has good glass, is very compact, and is extremely rugged.   It does suffer from short eye relief and a fairly narrow FoV.  It is not phase-correction coated so; its image is not quite all it could be.  Considering all the other new spotting scopes Bushnell has been putting out lately, I'm really suprised that they haven't either upgraded or discontinued this model.

Other choices to consider would be:
  • Nikon Fieldscope ED50.  Absolutely the best compact scope available, bar none. You do need to couple it with the 27x fixed mag eyepiece to get the most out of it. The 13-30 eyepiece that comes with it has very, very short eye relief and the higher-end 13-40x eyepiece isn't a whole lot better.
  • Leupold Golden Ring Compact 15-30x50.  This is the one I own. It isn't quite as nice as the Nikon, but it's very close and it is both cheaper and has better eye relief.
  • Minox MD 50W 16-30x50.  Very similar to the Leupold, but it can be had in with an angled eyepiece.  I've seen demos of this scope for $250.  It would be an excellent choice.
  • Brunton Eterna 18-36x50.  ED glass helps the image.  They are, however, a bit boxy compared to the others.
  • Bushnell Legend Ultra - 13-36x50 (?) - This one is brand new from Bushnell so; no one knows how good it is.  It does offer ED glass and dual focussing rings (coarse and fine) that is a pretty nice feature - assuming it works properly.

Edited by lucznik - February/16/2009 at 17:14
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
grandslam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grandslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 21:52
Contingent upon your expectations of the leupold, it should work very well for your needs .I own one and use it at the range and also find myself glassing food plots up to around 1100 yds and can see fairly well if it is real steady. Typically the range yardage is 200 yds max and at that distance viewing hits is not easy but suffice. I also have the kit and other than it being  good solid case to carry your spotter in the tripod is mediocre at best. For the price a definite bargain.
bowmaker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 14:39
Originally posted by fireroad fireroad wrote:

....  I'm looking for a compact SS for hunting and range work....  I've researched this forum and it sounds like the Leupold Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact is the way to go 

I am a newb also but I don't think a 30 power scope would be sufficient to spot target holes at 200 yards.  I am also in search for a scope primarily for range use.  I am considering at least a 45x power scope preferably a 60x power.  From what i've read so far, a lot of (cheaper) scopes do not give good resolutions when turned to max power.

fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:11
Originally posted by bowmaker bowmaker wrote:

Originally posted by fireroad fireroad wrote:

....  I'm looking for a compact SS for hunting and range work....  I've researched this forum and it sounds like the Leupold Golden Ring 15-30x50mm Compact is the way to go 

I am a newb also but I don't think a 30 power scope would be sufficient to spot target holes at 200 yards.  I am also in search for a scope primarily for range use.  I am considering at least a 45x power scope preferably a 60x power.  From what i've read so far, a lot of (cheaper) scopes do not give good resolutions when turned to max power.

I will eventually get a large optic/long distance scope (and I can borrow a spotting scope at the range) but first I have more use/desire for a hunting SS.

fireroad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:13
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

• Leupold Golden Ring Compact 15-30x50.  This is the one I own. It isn't quite as nice as the Nikon, but it's very close and it is both cheaper and has better.

Has better what...?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 17:14
oops, sorry. 

The Leupold has better eye relief.

I'll fix my original post.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic