OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Price Check

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price Check
    Posted: February/15/2009 at 10:46
I have a Savage 16fxp3 in a 300 WSM, and im thinking about selling because it might be over kill for what i use it for, so i was wondering what you think it could sell for, i put MAYBE 1 box of ammo throught it. Thanks

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 12:53
What do you actually do with it? what did you pay for it? does it have or come with a scope? why do you think it is over kill? you can always down load it if you are a hand loader. an easy answer to the worth is $100.00/$150.00 less than you paid. gun only!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 13:10
Is that caliber just a dud or why is everybody selling theirs?
I've seen them for sale USED in gunshops by the bushel and read about more of those calibers owners selling them lately than I can shake a stick at. Whats up with that?   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 13:19
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Is that caliber just a dud or why is everybody selling theirs?
I've seen them for sale USED in gunshops by the bushel and read about more of those calibers owners selling them lately than I can shake a stick at. Whats up with that?   

From what I gather they seem to be just a little more than they expected as far as recoil? I have shot both the WSM and reg Mag and too me they are on par with recoil!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 14:16
Originally posted by Cbissell07 Cbissell07 wrote:

I have a Savage 16fxp3 in a 300 WSM, and im thinking about selling because it might be over kill for what i use it for, so i was wondering what you think it could sell for, i put MAYBE 1 box of ammo throught it. Thanks

.............Rather than sell it, why not just use reduced loadings?? You can load that 300 WSM to below `06 levels using faster burns or different powders.

For example.  I see in my Sierra manual that for 150 gr starting loads, the velocity from a 24" barrel is 2800 fps. The 165`s at 2700 fps. The 175`s and the 180`s at 2600 fps. Are those levels too much overkill???

Just because the word "Magnum" follows "300 Winchester Short" doesn`t mean that you cannot effectively load it down for the reduced power levels more to your liking.

You can turn that cartridge from what you perceive as overkill into a real nice cartridge to better suite your need.

If your issue is recoil?........ I read sometimes how some 300 WSM owners,,,WHO RELOAD,,, complain too much about recoil, that wind up either selling or trading the rifle..... What in the world is reloading all about, if not to tailor the loadings down for the desired effect??? Many forget about that....Don`t sell the rifle!!! Simply tone it down!Wink

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 14:54
I love my 300wsm!! The felt recoil is stout by my standards but not bad. Most of my shooting is done prone though and it helps to get your whole body behind it too. Hey Squeeze can I pick your brail on some reloads?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 18:52
I went to a gun show today in KC and I saw lots of BIG caliber rifles for sale.  Not nearly as many smaller ones.  I think I'd try the "load-it-down" idea first. 
take em!
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:11
i love the calliber, but i got a doe last year at 250 yards and it was basically blown in half, i would love to keep it and use it as just a bear gun but i dont have that kind of money
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:14
and seriously im 5'9 150. not that big and the recoil doesnt bother me at all, sothe recoil on it doesnt bother me, and when i hear people 6' 200 lbs complain about it it makes me laugh
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:14
What ammunition are you using and if you could answer my other questions ,please this will help.thanks
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:23
i used 180 grain whinchester ballistic tip ammo, and it comes with a crappy simmons 8 point
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:24
and i think its over kill because of the senario i listed above
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:21
Using 180gr on eastern whitetail, if it expands anything like it is suppose to. I can imagine you see alot of exploded deer. The guy's around here generally use 130gr. and 150's max. I'd hate to see you git rid of a rifle you like if going to a lighter load could make all the difference. Ofcourse if you've decided its time for something new I can appreciate that as much as anybody. If your not loading you on ammo then I can see that you options may be limited. So something different may be in order. Let us know how things go.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:29
Did you by chance hit this deer in the spine? I think this was just one of those things that happen ? don't give up on the gun try to get over that one mishap, but by all means if you think you are over gunned then step down. The last thing you want is not too be comfortable with your set up!  ps try some regular bullets loaded with sierras or hornadys ...not that bts are not good I use them all the time.

Edited by rifle looney - February/15/2009 at 20:32
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 21:13
no it was a shot right through the heart and when i was butchering her she had a 6 inch hole in one side and she didnt have the other side
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 21:17
that means that bullet hit a lot of innards and really expanded. again don't count them out. but use a lead point bullet just basic you don't need premium bullets for deer.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 22:04
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I love my 300wsm!! The felt recoil is stout by my standards but not bad. Most of my shooting is done prone though and it helps to get your whole body behind it too. Hey Squeeze can I pick your brail on some reloads?
........My reloads for my 300 WSM are.

180 gr. SST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 58.5 gr. IMR 4007
                                    69.4 gr. RL 19
                                    64.2 gr. IMR 4350

150 gr. SST..................68.2 gr. IMR 4350
                                    62.8 gr. IMR 4007

200 gr Nos A/B............66.9 gr. RL 19

These are very accurate in my 300 WSM compact, but are not max loads.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 22:53
Thanks Sqeeze.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 23:05
What I would suggest is that rather than sell it outright take it to a gun show or a couple of dealers and talk about how much difference they need to trade into a different rifle in a caliber you like better.  I believe that 30-06 and .308 are very versitile calibers but 7mm08 and .243 are built on the same case as the .308 and both are nice deer guns as is 270 & 260 Rem both built on the 30-06 case.  I had a 300 WSM in a Winchester Coyote lite and one of my boys talked me out of it and now he doesnt like it because of the recoil.  I have stood next to it going off and I will admit the muzzle blast is ferocious. My 300 WM is a much heavier rife so lower recoil. There are  options  like shot placement - head and neck shots dont damage much meat.  I'm guessing you probably dont reload.  I think the light weight 300 WM rifles are designed to carry a lot shoot a little and would be a fine elk cartridge.  I will say one thing though if you go with a 30-06 or 270 or .243 you will feel like you won the lottery when you go buy a box of bullets after buying 300WSM bullets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 15:12
i know i know at $50 a box i really cant get that much target practice in, but i if i do sell it i think i might get an 06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic