OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cheap, temporary scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap, temporary scope?
    Posted: April/11/2005 at 21:51

Ok, I just bought a new rifle, Howa .30-06, I am too excited to shoot it to wait till I save up enough for the leupold VXII 3-9X40 that I am going to get for it, so I want to get a cheap scope to put on it until I get the leupold. 

I know with optics, you get what you pay for, but I dont want much for this scope. I basically want something rugged that will hold a zero, thats it basically. Once I get it zero'd I'm not going to play around with the knobs to adjust for wind or distance, I'll just holdover and stuff.  I am thinking fixed power like 4x once I get my leupold I'm going to put this scope on my 10/22, so I'm leaning towards an airgun or .22 scope, if you guys think they would hold up to the recoil of a high power rifle cartridge.  I'd like to spend less than $100 on this, so far this is the list that I've come up with, which would be the best?

Bushnell sportsman 4X32 $40 (cabelas has it, SWFA doesn't)

.22/airgun scopes (if they will hold up to .30-06 recoil)

Bushnell 4X32 .22 rimfire scope $30

Simmons 4x32 ProAirgun Scope $75

Simmons 4x32 .22 Mag Rifle Scope $30

Those are the only ones I've found here that are fixed power (I figure less moving parts means less things to go wrong with) Again, optical clarity, and all that jazz isn't really an issue, all I want is something that will hold zero with shot to shot consistancy, I am leaning towards the airgun scope cause that would do real good on my 10/22, but if it wont hold up to a .30-06, then forget it. 

Thanks again, and yes, when i do get the money, I will buy a real scope, but I want to shoot the gun untill I do get the $

-Brian

Paul C View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 22:32

That's the problem with cheap scopes. You never know till you shoot with it. You could wind up spending cheap scope money several times before you find one that holds up. I'd stick with something rated for centerfire rife anyway.

You could look around for used if you have any decent gun shops in the area. Or, like most of us, save up a little more money and at least get into the

$200 range.

My .02

Paul

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough!   
SOTN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 01:58

Rocketbarney:

My advice would be to buy a low-end Bushnell, like the Sportsman, or Sportsview  3x9x40, ($40 to $50, I think) and don't worry about it.  It'll work fine.  Besides if it broke, you could send it back to be repaired.

I'm sure you couldn't expect a Cheap scope to be as reliable or as good optically as a more expensive one, but I would imagine that most people have good luck with cheap scopes, or they wouldn't be able to keep on selling them.  (If that's not the case, lets hear from someone else, and get a consensus.)   

The used scopes I see around here, are just obsolete, overpriced junk IMO. 

Smitty of the North

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 02:04

The best cheap scopes I've used are SIghtron S1.  They are just over $100 though.  Also, if you consider using this scope for an airgun than you need to make sure that it is airgun-rated (airguns recoil differently and can really kil expensive scopes in a hurry).  With that in mind, I'd suggest Bushnell Trophy.  It is better than Banner and still is under $100.

Ilya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The best cheap scopes I've used are SIghtron S1.  They are just over $100 though.  Also, if you consider using this scope for an airgun than you need to make sure that it is airgun-rated (airguns recoil differently and can really kil expensive scopes in a hurry).  With that in mind, I'd suggest Bushnell Trophy.  It is better than Banner and still is under $100.

Ilya

I concur. Get the Sightron.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rocketbarney View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketbarney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 19:16

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered a sightron manual, the cheapest S1 is the 3X9X32 rimfire (which would suit my needs perfectly) is $155 according to the MSRP.  Where would an online dealer be where I could get one from?  oh, and the airgun that I'd consider putting it on is a piddly pump action, not a spring-air scope killer.  Thanks again.

-Brian

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2005 at 13:50

You can try to contact SWFA (who run this forum).  Chris has mentioned that they can order Sightron scopes.  Otherwise, some of their competitors also carry it ((competitor)usa is one) and I've seen them on Ebay. I'd check with Chris though; he can typically match any price.  Personally, I'd lean toward a 3-9x40.  I have one with a Mil-Dot reticle that I occasionally use for holdover (a useful thing with a rimfire).

Ilya

poncaguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poncaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2005 at 18:00
Bushnell Banner......less than a $100
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2005 at 21:42
Sightron makes decent low end scopes or you could go for the Bushnell Trophy and hope it holds zero.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 15:24

Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 (special TRX reticle)......$99.95

Simmons ProHunter 4-12x40.....$88.95

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 17:13

Chris, you've been on a roll today.

I think over the last half hour you left your mark in every thread for the last six months!

Anyhow, that Bushnell Trophy link does not seem to point to the model with TPX reticle.

Ilya

SniperX View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SniperX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2005 at 10:28

Bushnell 3-9x40 Trohpy TRX Reticle Riflescope 733948T

The Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy riflescope 733948T is designed for the low-light conditions of the fall woods. This Bushnell Trophy riflescope 73-3948T features Amber-bright multi-coated optics, which help you distinguish between a brown tree, a brown bush and a brown deer. The TRX reticle on this Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy riflescopes 733948T features three M.O.A(minutes of angle apart) gradients that show the point of impact at various distances. The Bushnell Trophy series riflescopes are all waterproof and fogproof, which makes them great for any weather conditions.

Specifications for Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope

Finish:   Matte
Power/Obj Lens:   3-9x40
Reticle:   TRX
Field-of-View:   42ft@3x@100yds
Weight:   13.2oz
Length:   11.7in
Eye Relief:   3.4in
Click Value:   .25in@100yds
Adj. Range:   60in@100yds
Mounting Length:   6in

Features of Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Riflescope

• TRX Reticle
  • Amber-Bright optics
  • Waterproof
  • Fog proof
  • Shock Proof
  • Dry-nitrogen filled
  • Fast-Focus eyepiece
Money talks.Most often mine says good-bye
SniperX View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SniperX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2005 at 10:32
Money talks.Most often mine says good-bye
aardvark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2005 at 16:35
Chuck Hawks is a pretty respectable critic on guns and supplies...He says the Bushnell Banner is the best cheap scope around...I just bought one on Ebay for $48 shipped...It is a 3-9x40...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2005 at 16:49

Bushnell Banner is indeed a decent scope for the money.

As for Chuck Hawks, well he has his opinion certainly, but I tend to take it with a grain of salt.  As it happens, he has occasionally written on things that I have some personal experience with and I disagree with him wholeheartedly on some of those.  His writings are certainly useful information, but should be doublechecked as he has shown some very strong biases.

Ilya

aardvark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2005 at 19:11
P.S. I just bought another Banner on Ebay for $54 and it is an ENSIGN model from Japan 3-9x36..It should prove to be a fine scope...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic