OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st loads using RE17 in my 270Win

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 20:05
 I don't know where I got it, but it seemed to fit.
 Glad you took it the right way, Bud!

Oh , while I have your attention, I think the Remington in your sig line is a Scoremaster, not Scopemaster. Just thought somebody would have pointed that out by now.
 You have some nice firearms, my friend!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 01:05
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Just thought somebody would have pointed that out by now.

He harassed me the first time I saw him here, and I haven't paid any attention to him since!Wink

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 06:12
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Just thought somebody would have pointed that out by now.

He harassed me the first time I saw him here, and I haven't paid any attention to him since!Wink
   Trigger.....Dude....yer killin me!!!Smile 

I'll have to check the remy,  It was my grandpa's and now my son has it.  It still drives tacks!  Son's home tonight from college for weekend so I'll find out where it is hidden.
I doubt if you guys are wrong my memory being what it is.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 06:42
Bud, it's a bummer gettin' old ain't it?     what were we talkin' about!!!   LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 07:22
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Bud, it's a bummer gettin' old ain't it?     what were we talkin' about!!!   LOL

I AM NOT OLD!!!   I am well seasoned! Wink

It has been a busy year, turned 50 and my daughter made me grandpa!
The grandpa label I am STILL not used too! LOL Kid's 3 months old so I have
a little time before the verbal barrage starts.  Still undecided on what to have him call me!  Pap pap, gramps (ugh), etc.  Any suggestions guys???  I know I am gonna regret this! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 07:24
Aw hell, I might as wel make it a string in Ed's world.
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 14:01
How about, Hey freekin old guy? I got some more, but the bad word filter would fall on me.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 16:41
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

How about, Hey freekin old guy? I got some more, but the bad word filter would fall on me.

Whats the matter???  Hate getting old?
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 14:26
[[/QUOTE]

You're new here aint ya?    Smoking
[/QUOTE] EekBow.....CrutchBabyStareYep, Thought SoBucky.

LOL, God, I love that line!   Well done!  Was it Pat Palson the comedian?
[/QUOTE]

I remember now Comedian Paul Lynde.  play on Hollywood Squares, Bewitched and more.
he was hilarious!

--Thomas Jefferson

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 14:33

Paul Lynde was a scream.  The quickest wit ever.
 There was once a question posed to him on one of those shows: "Which is pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?"

Paul replied instantly and indignantly-
 "WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY ELEPHANT??!!"

I laugh out loud whenever I think of that.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 14:54
Absolutely!  Phenomenal timing and wit!!!
LOL LOVE IT!
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 15:26
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I'd be happy with any and all, pretty decent groups.

Thanks Luc, I do what I can with what I got.  I think my stock is too short for me but can't afford to get  a custom.  If I had a wheelbarrel of money I'd you get a custom sized one or five heh heh heh Bandito

We have an abundace of groundhogs around here.  I want to work up a varmint load an offer my services to local farmers.  I find it amazing... groundhogs are too stupid to dodge cars but won't let a human within 100 yds.  Maybe doing that  would open some doors for deer hunting.   Most farmers don't want to let stranges hunt their land around here.

budperm, why do you think the stock is too short?  Your groups show no real indication of that.  If it is really too short, you should show a tendency to group to the right of your actual POA.  There are some fairly simple Q&D formulae for determining a ROM length of pull estimate, then there is the complex science for benchrest shooters.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:00

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i would recommend you try using sierra bullets

Haven't really researched Sierra bullets... What's so special about them?
I originally set my sights on Hornady SSTs because I wanted a bullet that would perform well at the range and hunting.  SSTs with their poly ballistic tip and boat tail seem to be just the ticket and at $25 per 100 reasonible.  I started with Nosler BTs simply because they were available an a close copy of the SSTs ballistically.

Both Grafs and competitor just restocked 130gr ssts in 277

Hey Bud. I've started loading SST's now, but in 140 gr. I think they will shoot well too, and with a B.C. like they have should be very deadly, even way out there. They outrun the Winchesters I was shooting by 300 yards, and start off 150 fps slower. They are a long bullet though. If your gun likes to have bullets seated near the lands, you may not make it due to magazine constrictions. I ran in to that myself.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 21:57
Yeah, I am loading 140gr SSTs right now too.  Starting with H4831SC 5ea of 57.5, 58.0, 58.5, 59.0gr.  Once I have dialed in 31SC I'll start with RE17.  My Chrony should be here this week, so I 'll be able to get some hard numbers.
--Thomas Jefferson

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 21:59

Yeah, I am loading 140gr SSTs right now too.  Starting with H4831SC 5ea of 57.5, 58.0, 58.5, 59.0gr.  Once I have dialed in 31SC I'll start with RE17.  My Chrony should be here this week, so I 'll be able to get some hard numbers.

Witch one Chrony did you end up getting?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 22:41
I had to go the cheap route, went with an F-1 Chrony for $79.95 delivered.
--Thomas Jefferson

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 22:42
See them all the time they work!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 23:15
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

See them all the time they work!
Thanks, thats good to know! They have decent reviews.
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 19:54
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I'd be happy with any and all, pretty decent groups.

Thanks Luc, I do what I can with what I got.  I think my stock is too short for me but can't afford to get  a custom.  If I had a wheelbarrel of money I'd you get a custom sized one or five heh heh heh Bandito

We have an abundace of groundhogs around here.  I want to work up a varmint load an offer my services to local farmers.  I find it amazing... groundhogs are too stupid to dodge cars but won't let a human within 100 yds.  Maybe doing that  would open some doors for deer hunting.   Most farmers don't want to let stranges hunt their land around here.

budperm, why do you think the stock is too short?  Your groups show no real indication of that.  If it is really too short, you should show a tendency to group to the right of your actual POA.  There are some fairly simple Q&D formulae for determining a ROM length of pull estimate, then there is the complex science for benchrest shooters.  

eeeh eeem.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 06:52
[

[/QUOTE]

eeeh eeem.
[/QUOTE]  Sorry guys, missed this question.

Well truth be told I know nothing about sizing a rifle stock.  I do know that I am a little on the oversized side of things... 6'2" 280#+ and 38" long arms.  Fairly broad shouldered.   Usually it is my arm length that gives me troubles. 

For instance, I was chunking for yellowfin tuna with some friends off Ocean City, MD.  I hooked into a 50# tuna and it KICKED my butt!  I was trying to hold the pole by the handle.  This meant that with my long arms  I was fighting the tuna with my biceps and small of my back.  It was embarassing!  My buddies laughed and made fun of me, after all it was only a 50# fish.
The Captain of the charter pulled me aside and told me to lock my arms out straight next time.  I said that if I did that I would be holding the pole just behind the 2nd eyelet from the tip.  He said not to worry about the Tuna stick (Pole) it would survive.  Next hook-up I did what he said and the difference was completely amazing.  I had no trouble at all fighting and landing the tuna (another 50#er).

I have always felt more comfortable with a longer stock and barrel.  One of these days I need to research more on how to proper fit a rifle. You guys know of any websites or books on hthe subject???

Edited by budperm - February/24/2009 at 06:53
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic