OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shotgun scope....need advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srd94578 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shotgun scope....need advice!
    Posted: April/11/2005 at 21:02

I was recently on a pig hunt where we had to use "shotgun/slug only" . My friend drew the permit and I was the informal guide / helper. Just before dark, we located some pigs and stalked to about 30 yards away. My friend took careful aim at a broadside pig, using his shotgun bead for aiming.

Loud noise....3 pigs ran away....no blood trail....BIG DISAPPOITMENT.

Although I fully believe he should have made this shot, I want to be more ready for the next time one of us is drawn. I am buying an Ithaca deerslayer II, which has a fully rifled barrel.

Since I am almost 50, I can no longer rely on iron rifle sights.

Please advise what you would recommend in the way of a scope for this type of big-game hunting with shotgun slugs. (I do not hunt turkeys).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2005 at 22:34
I got a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm shotgun scope with a heavy duplex reticle. This scope has lots of eye relief for hard kicking magnum slug guns. The heavy duplex reticle is great for close range shots in heavy brush, but can also be used effectively for longer shots. Leupold makes a very good "shotgun" scope IMO you cannot go wrong with one.
srd94578 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srd94578 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2005 at 11:29

I am currently leaning towards the Leupold shotgun scope because I haver other Leupold optics and have been quite happy with their performance.

I see that they make (2) shotgun scopes and don't know what to choose.

They have a 1-4 x 20 and a 2-7 x 33.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Steve

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2005 at 04:48
If you think you may be doing some longer range shooting (100 yards +) I would go with the VX-I 2-7x33. I have a VX-II 2-7x33 on my Remington 870 slug gun and it is a perfect match. Leupold only makes shotgun scopes in their VX-I lineup now for some reason. I am sure they would still be plenty good enough for shotgun hunting.
25musky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25musky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2005 at 20:29

Steve:

I have an Ithica Deerslayer as well and I have a Bushnell 1.5-4 Banner mounted on it.  I have had success with mine.  I compared the Leupold and actually liked the Bushnell better.  I know the Leupold guys will tell me I'm nuts, but in this case I went with the Banner and am happy with it.  I have had a vx-lll on my ruger 30-06 for 15 years so I know about the Leupold quality.  The Bushnell is quite a bit cheaper as well.  Good luck!!

25musky
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2005 at 15:57
 I don't think the Bushnell Banner can compare to the Leupold VX-II shotgun scopes. A better comparison would be a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36 scope which would work fine for a shotgun and have comparable glass to Leupold's top of the line scopes.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2005 at 21:47
I can,without hesitation, recommend the Weaver V3 (1-3X) for your application.  I have had one on my HandR Ultra slug gun for years. (I got one the first year they were made and they have a reputation for being hard on scopes.)  Mine goes from year to year without adjustment and I find the field of view on 1X very wide and the magnification at 3X sufficient for the intended use.  It is brighter than you would expect for a scope in its price range.
caveman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 17:00
Fully agree, the V3 is indeed a very good scope for a good price.  Tough too!  I have had it on a 45/70 max loads, and a 50BP gun for years.
cavey
valleypine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleypine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 09:40
I've got a Redfield Widefield 4X mounted on my shotgun, but only for the reason that I've had good luck with the same scope on my rifle. Like my rifle, I've got no more than 3 inches of eye relief on the shotgun. Both the rifle and shotgun scope picture is the same, except that I don't get a good cheek weld on the shotgun because the cantilever puts the scope too high.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic