OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Flash point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash point?
    Posted: February/14/2009 at 11:08
On Flash point last night on CBS the Swat sniper had an Illuminated scope mounted upside down on the Remington 700. The elevation turret was on the bottom as was the illumination rheostat. Looked as if this would have interfered with the function of the rifle. It did get the rheostat out of the way so the actors face could be seen.

Edited by 3_tens - February/14/2009 at 11:08
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 11:13
Loco  What a bunch of morons!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 14:44
My wife was watching it but I was running up and downstairs doin' something else. 

( upside down!!  ...........Bucky  )      Laugh
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 22:35
Ok, Here is the test. Can anyone identify the scope usedin this show. It shows to be a 3-9X56 Illuminated(best seen at 25:14). It shows up at 12:04-12:25 min into the show where it is 90 deg off and again at 25:14-25:40 Here  it is 180 deg off vertical. Here is the link to this episode of Flashpoint. http://www.cbs.com/primetime/flashpoint/video/video.php?cid=991008149&pid=l9V78iqoXl0MyIFXkhZw9aBwE_pt7lIW&play=true&cc=0
 This show must have a poor armorer. Cyborg should send them his resume. Has Trigger 29 found a job? This might be a start to a whole new way of life with all of ED's movie stars.

mediagal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mediagal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:33
Here's a news flash for you guys.  There are actual members of the Toronto ETF on set during production, and the main characters were trained by them.

The scope was was mounted upside down?  Well good for you for noticing it.  Like OP said, it made the actor's face visible.  Small adjustments like that are made for production purposes.  The only people who notice it are those who are familiar with the guns and feel superior enough to call other people morons.

http://www.bremnerassociates.com/index.html

BoDaggitt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoDaggitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:44
Sounds like Toronto ETF needs to work a few things out.  Since a large majority of people watching a show like that will be gun people, they might ought to get it right.  The more real it is the more enjoyable it is to watch
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:50
Originally posted by mediagal mediagal wrote:

Here's a news flash for you guys.  There are actual members of the Toronto ETF on set during production, and the main characters were trained by them.

The scope was was mounted upside down?  Well good for you for noticing it.  Like OP said, it made the actor's face visible.  Small adjustments like that are made for production purposes.  The only people who notice it are those who are familiar with the guns and feel superior enough to call other people morons.

If John Wayne was climbing on his horse backwards we would think that was pretty stupid.    Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:54
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

If John Wayne was climbing on his horse backwards we would think that was pretty stupid.    Shocked

Laugh
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mediagal View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mediagal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 21:57
The majority of people watching the show are not gun people.

You guys need to get over yourselves.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 22:04
Sounds to me like you do.  Here you seek out a gun forum to pick a fight with gun people about a gun prop.  Loco
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 22:20
always a few........seems like more than a few lately though
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 22:42

Here's another news flash for you, Ed. They would need to make that "minor adjustment" for production purposes to make the actor's face more visible. As he rode away. From the camera. Into the sunset.  Most of the show's viewers aren't horse people anyway, and probably wouldn't even notice. Cool
 You moron.Bucky
 You need to get over yourself.Bandito

Edited by RONK - February/19/2009 at 22:44
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 22:51
HMMMMMM...........Just a thought. But it seems to me that when an actor or actress doesn't hold a gun properly, or have the equipment set up properly. Then they are the ones that look foolish to the average viewer who just might have some background knowledge about firearms.
I have also seen on some TV shows where they were holding a flash light with their off hand resting above their carry hand using an auto. That's a smart one there. Credibility isn't something to scoff at. Then you have the ones with out any background try to emulate what they see on TV and get hurt or worse.

It's not a matter of getting over ourselves. More so that we expect responsible editors, and directors to do the right thing. I half expect that these things are done on purpose, to encourage improper use and accidents. Yes that's right, I said there's an agenda.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 23:39
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Ok, Here is the test. Can anyone identify the scope usedin this show. It shows to be a 3-9X56 Illuminated(best seen at 25:14). It shows up at 12:04-12:25 min into the show where it is 90 deg off and again at 25:14-25:40 Here  it is 180 deg off vertical. Here is the link to this episode of Flashpoint. http://www.cbs.com/primetime/flashpoint/video/video.php?cid=991008149&pid=l9V78iqoXl0MyIFXkhZw9aBwE_pt7lIW&play=true&cc=0
 This show must have a poor armorer. Cyborg should send them his resume. Has Trigger 29 found a job? This might be a start to a whole new way of life with all of ED's movie stars.
That's a Bushnell Banner 3-9X56E. Chinese made. Tasco offers one as well. They are nearly identical.

See the actors face.... LOL

They got a couple of scopes mounted all wrong. One appeared to even be backwards.
No possible way I'd allow an actor or actress to go around looking like a moron. Or the director and stage or prop manager for that matter.

Edited by cyborg - February/19/2009 at 23:51
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 08:43
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Here's another news flash for you, Ed. They would need to make that "minor adjustment" for production purposes to make the actor's face more visible. As he rode away. From the camera. Into the sunset.  Most of the show's viewers aren't horse people anyway, and probably wouldn't even notice. Cool
 You moron.Bucky
 You need to get over yourself.Bandito

Oh!!!  I hadn't thought of that!!!!   Sorry!!!!      Shocked

Roll on Floor Laughing
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 08:49
God help us!  We have enough problems in T.O. without making the ETF look like morons, because they really are highly trained first rate guys.

Ed, liked the analogy with John Wayne!  We do have a lot of horse mounted officers in Toronto, have yet to see one on TV sitting backwards but  that is probably just a matter of time.

Edited by Dogger - February/20/2009 at 08:50
God save the Empire!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 09:12
Well, knowing actors, they probably mounted the illumination rheostat down to prevent them from being able to open the bolt.  NOW you think that director was pretty smart now don't yah? Laugh
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 20:07
After the first, post when I went back to find the scope, was when I noticed that it was in different positions at different times. They just did not have the rings tight. The actors face had nothing to do with it. Just very poor Tech support. This turns shows with a little bit of a story flop. First time I ever watched the show, and the last.

Why did that twit call me OP? Oh well I bet she is a blonde. Maybe she is looking for an Oscar in the new category of best supporting actress for an idiot in Tech Support.
PS. I never called any one a moron. .... I should have but I didn't.

Edited by 3_tens - February/20/2009 at 20:15

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 20:42

Here's a news flash for you guys.   BLA BLA BLA

There must be a vaccume in here something sucked in an air head.  Even non - gun guy movie watchers notice tragic incompetence like holding a phone upside down with the chord coming out the top.  Eaven people who are not astronomers seem to be able to look through the right end of a telescope.  Eaven people who dont ride a bicycle know the handlebars go in front of you. Every movie fan has seen rifles with scopes on them in movies  DUH  Lemming Alert   Lemming Alert  Lemming Alert

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/20/2009 at 20:42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 11:33
My guess is, if their technical staff is good, and they have tac guys to consult, the tac guys are as bothered by this as anyone else who knows.

In my humble opinion, things like this are inconsequential, but they cause me to have no interest at all in the particular product.  I will now never watch the show, the tactical inaccuracies (this one, seemingly so the pretty actor could be more well-seen) remove any suspension of disbelief.

That's the great thing about television: if something is on that I don't want to watch, I change the channel.  (Then I realize there is NOTHING on I want to watch, so I turn off the television and go do something consequential.)

I would agree that it is disrespectful to the actual group being depicted to make a change such as mounting a scope improperly so an actor can be better seen, and the analogy of putting John Wayne backwards on a horse is a great one.  They didn't do that back then, maybe they had more respect for the intelligence of the viewer back then.

Turn off the TV, go do something that matters.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic