OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dpms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dpms
    Posted: April/11/2005 at 19:54
i'm buying a dpms sweet sixteen. i want ascope to put on top. the dilemma is i mostly target shoot but want to incorporate a little varmint hunting once in a while. i've been looking at leupold and valdada but can only spend around 500 bucks . solution anyone. need advice on a decent scope.

Edited by rslamiroult
rslamiroult
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 21:24
Super Sniper 10X is tough to beat for the cost, a good set of 30 mm med height rings ARMS, Badger, GG&G, Leupold MK IV, and you'll have enough left over to buy some good ammo!
rslamiroult View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 21:28
i'm scared of a scope made by tasco and the price seems too good to be true 'cause tasco usually sucks. is the valdada 8x or 10 x agood choice? is the leupold better? leupold is expensive though. valdada 6x30 seems like too little power as far as varmint goes. more suggestions please.

Edited by rslamiroult
rslamiroult
Paul C View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 22:00

There are waaay too many Super Sniper owners out there and on this forum, myself included, for you to be worried. Quality is superb, and the low price is due to several missing "middle men".

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough!   
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 00:06
so you would put an ss10x against a valdada 10x? i've already thought about the super sniper but held off because of valdada's rep vs tasco's rep. it sure would save some bucks. how's the glass and clarity?
rslamiroult
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 00:44

Tasco being associated with the super snipers is no more.  They used to make them but now SWFA has exclusive rights.  That is why they don't cost a whole lot.  If SWFA didn't have this sweet deal those scopes would sell for $800-$900.   I'd take my SS10x42 over any other because of price but also and more importantly they compete with $800-$1000 scopes out there.  In fact one member of this forum bought a new USO for his M40A3 look alike and prefers his SS10x42 to the USO.  The only scope I have is the super sniper so I can't compare but if others say a $300 super sniper can compete with a $1000 USO then that should tell you something.  In fact if you have two rifles you can scope both of them with one of the best scopes out there for less with the super snipers than one high priced scope on one rifle and still have comparably close performance.  The saying is right "Nothing Comes Close"

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 02:01

Super Snipers are absolutely superb scopes for the money.  I am not convinced that they can match $1000+ dollar scopes, but at $300 cost they do not have to.  I've also used an IOR 10x scope which I thought was better than the Super Sniper.  However, I did not get a chance to compare them side by side.  Also IOR has two models of 10x scopes: 10x42 and 10x56.  I've only used a 10x56 which is not really a fair comparison since the SS has a 42mm objective.  Also, IOR 10x56 is a ~$600 scope (IOR 10x42 is more expensive).  If I were in the market for a fixed 10x scope, I would buy a Super Sniper without a trace of hesitation.

Ilya

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 10:11
you guys are convincing me on the ss10x. the only reason i'm hesitant is i've bought the cheaper version of an optic twice before and it sat in my drawer having to spend money i don't have on the real thing later anyway.like tacpoint instead of aimpoint or nc star instead of eotech.
rslamiroult
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 10:57
any other opinions about my dilemma? am i right about a valdada super m2 6x30 not being enough magnification for varminting at 100-200 yards? i know it's fine for targeting at those distances. has anyone used or owned one or suggest one?
rslamiroult
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 11:27

Never used a Valdada. Bro I dont use crap knock off scopes. I'm real paticular about my optics, rifles, and equipment. I have Leupold's and a Unertl. Got a chance to shoot a FN SPR in 300 WSM that had a SS 10x on it about two weeks ago. (I had my 300 WM with a Leupold MK IV 10x on it for comparison). The SS was just as sharp, clear, & tractable, and is about $900.00 less than I paid for the MK IV. Had I know about the SS back then my rifle would probably have a SS 10x on it. The only thing I didnt like was the adj knobs dont feel quite as positive (the solid click) as the MK IV. But I can tell you this, I'm building a custom 700 in .257 STW and a SS 10x will sit a top of it on Badger Ord base/rings. Unless you drop in excess of $1500 for a scope you will be hard pressed to find a better fixed 10x, 30 mm, tactical optic.

As far as magnification & varmits a 10x should work great in conjunction with the 16" barrel on the sweet sixteen

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rslamiroult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 11:44
thanks dilligaf you just solidified my decision
rslamiroult
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic