OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A / Leatherwood M1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A / Leatherwood M1200
    Posted: February/13/2009 at 16:44
Has any one mounted a Leatherwood M1200 on a M14/M1A? Any input on the Leatherwood M1200? YhanksAmerican Flag
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 18:03
I was thinking about that posibility last month and asked one of the guys to check them out at the shot show. He told me that the scopes would probably be OK for normal use but not recommended for hard use.  He suggested that having the elevation system outside the scope as a mechanical system added certain problems with keeping out foreign material that might cause a malfunction. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/13/2009 at 19:25

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 18:11
Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth that scope took three hands to operate.
I've looked through the new Leatherwood stuff and can't imagine actually using one sucessfully,  or having one last on a rifle that will eat a MkIVM3 in short order.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 19:25
I'm thinking the fixed power 6x IOR would be a good choice or possibly a fixed 10x Super Sniper.  The fixed power scopes should have less moving parts and be tougher.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:43
I have the M1000 mounted on BAR 30-06.  A friend has the M1200 on a Remington 700 .243 WSSM.  They both perform very well and there is no problem with FOD in the mechanics.  The ART type scope has been around since the VietNam war, where it made its debut and was used quite successfully in the jungle terrain, during monsoons, under extreme conditions.  My M1000 has not had heavy usage, under 50 rounds since I installed it.  I find the cam mount quite easy to adjust and operate.  
I also had one of the older 3-9 Sporter models mounted on the BAR, generally 100 rounds per year.  It was my primary hunting rifle/scope combination for many years.  The initial adjustment, getting the scope tuned to your ammo, is nontrivial for some. However, once accomplished, there is no faster way to get "on target" out to the max range of the scope.  Bracket a target area of known size (say 18" target area on a "normal white tail deer), put the crosshairs on the point of aim, shoot.  I have not missed with either scope.  With the Sporter, I once took two running deer within about two seconds of each other (then I had to carry them both up a 1200 foot rocky incline and about 1/4 mile through the woods to get them to the truck...wished I had not shot the second).  I have unusually good luck with scopes that other people don't seem to, but I have no complaints after 10years with the Sporter and a year with the M1000.  My friend has had the M1200 for over two years now and has made shots on beaver out to about 700yds with it.  I mounted it and set it up for him, he just brackets the target and shoots.  The glass in the M1200 is not as "good" as the glass in my M1000, which is a newer model.  I believe the M1200 glass has been upgraded to the same quality as the M1000, but you might want to check with the company on that.  
I am not recommending you purchase one, just giving you my real world experience with those three systems.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
CK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 06:33
How does the Glass in the M1200 compared to the Super Sniper?American Flag
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 09:32
The one instance I have for comparison between M1200 (one of the first models) and Super Sniper, the SS would be slightly superior in glass quality.  However, that is a subjective assessment based upon events occurring at different times, in other words, not side by side.  I remember a little more edge effect on the M1200 and at high power I remember my thought was the SS image was "cleaner".  However, the low light capability of the M1200 is quite good, allowing target acquisition and engagement well after what would be "normal" shooting hours.  Alabama does not allow "night hunting" unless it is coon hunting with a .22.  Alabama has some ancient philosophies on hunting... they need some legislators who are not so incestuous in their schooling.  But I digress.  If a fixed power scope will suit your needs, the SuperSniper is an outstanding choice.  The Leatherwood has some very innovative features which allow very fast targeting/engagement on distant and moving targets.  The quality is improving.  I have had no problems with mine in function or esoterics, like glass quality.  It has been very good for what I needed it for.  I have never failed to engage due to some scope deficiency in the Leatherwoods I own, they maintain zero very well, and I have never missed a target.  I THINK that is all I can ask of a riflescope. Now, I don't throw my rifles around, they don't get bounced much, so I cannot speak much to rough field treatment.  I came from a mindset that if you fix it so your weapon/system does not work, you could well die.  That philosophy still drives my field treatment of the weapon.  I protect it at all costs.  If there are quality issues due to treatment, they are not apparent in the shooting I have done.  Zero is still good after all these years.  The Sporter I own has degraded in visual quality, slightly, over the years, but it is still useable for any range I want to shoot with it.  Still good to after legal shooting hours.  Leatherwood offered to repair it, but it is one of the first off the line (number 49), and I am going to keep it like it is unless it "quits" on me.  

Edited by Kickboxer - February/14/2009 at 09:55

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
CK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 06:11
I too believe the world turns around my weapons I carry in the field. IF you were to Scope an M1A would it be the M1000 or the M1200? Will the Leatherwoods handel the abuse that a combat environment may bring on? x xxxx  xxxx xx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx x xx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx.   Thanks for the input!American Flag

Please read and obide by our few simple rules.

Edited by Chris Farris - February/16/2009 at 09:49
CK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 07:05

Ditto.

Edited by Chris Farris - February/16/2009 at 09:49
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 09:28
Well all Leatherwood scopes are made in China these days and for me that says it all.  The Chinese have not figured out how to make a reliable scope these days even if they do start with decent parts.  Stick with high end "budget" scopes made in Japan (Super Sniper, Bushnell Elites), Philippines (Vortex Viper, Nikon Monarch) or USA (Burris, Leupold).  Just my $.02

If you must have a target type scope on a budget just get a Super Sniper 10x or if the budget is really tight check out the Bushnell 3200 10x tactical.

Edited by donlipa - February/15/2009 at 09:31
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 16:35
Originally posted by CK CK wrote:

I too believe the world turns around my weapons I carry in the field. IF you were to Scope an M1A would it be the M1000 or the M1200? Will the Leatherwoods handel the abuse that a combat environment may bring on? x xxxx  xxxx xx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx x xx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx.   Thanks for the input!American Flag

Please read and obide by our few simple rules.

As I said, I have no way to assess the performance of a current production Leatherwood scope under combat conditions.  The Super Sniper scopes I am aware of have been used much harder than my M1000 or Sporter and held up very well and the guy I know with the 1200 shoots only a few rounds a year.  I know for certain the SS will hold up to heavy, hard use.  If I were going to war and could only have one, I would have to take the one I felt would give me the best chance to keep myself and others alive.  As stated, I have been pretty easy on my scopes.  I would choose the SS under those conditions.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic