OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

socpe dilema from a first timer. help me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: socpe dilema from a first timer. help me
    Posted: April/11/2005 at 14:12
ok here it is folk,

I'm going to purchase a tikka t3 for my first hunting rifles, .30-06.  I'm debating whether to top it off with a kahles ah 3-9 tds or a zeiss conquest 3-9.  I don't know if i want to purchase a scope that is more expensive than my rifle (kahles). i know zeiss has a similar ranging reticle but i'm not sure that i want it.

second if i do go with the kahles, is it worth the extra $$$ to get the tds reticle? does it really work?  I know you have to have the right range before you can work it.

third, I'll need a binocular.  from reading these forums i know that 90% of my glass time is going to be through a binocular rather than a scope, so i do understand the need for a good binocular.  However, i'm not willing to spend more than $250, and from what i've read here pentax seems to be the way to go.  How about a combo range finder and binocular are those any good?

Please give me as much input as you can
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 14:36

Both the Zeiss and the Kahles are great scopes.  I use the Conquest.  The TDS does work, but I doubt very many people actually use it to its' full potential.  You are really limiting yourself on your binos.  You probably need to spend at least twice that amount to get a set of Pentax SPs.  If you must stick to the $250 look at the Bushnell Legends.  A good bino rangefinder combo (Leica) is going to cost you over $1,000.  You can look at the Bushnell combo, I have never used it and I hear mixed reviews.

ranburr 

model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 14:53

I'd go with whichever scope you can get a better deal on (pay less for). I have a conquest and a kahles and like them both.  The zeiss does have more eye relief, which I like, but contrary to what a lot of people here like, I think my kahles is a little better optically.  Check out the sample list for some deals on Kahles.  There's usually a nice assortment of kahles to choose from. 

I don't have a lot of bino experience, but if you're new to things, I'd be hesitant to spend too much cash up front.  I'd go hunt, see what others have, borrow what you can, try everything you can, see what your preferences are etc so you don't end up finding out that you really wish you had bought something else. 

deeeez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 15:37
where is this sample list you speak of?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 16:28
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
deeeez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 17:13
cheaptrick you got any advise for me?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 17:32

Originally posted by deeeez deeeez wrote:

cheaptrick you got any advise for me?

I'd go with the Conquest. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
deeeez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2005 at 17:45
the samplelist price difference for a moderately used kahles ah 3-9 and a new one isn't large enough to justify buying it used.

BTW thank you all for replying

Edited by deeeez
deeeez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2005 at 10:56
bump

anyone else want ot chime in?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 15:44
Kahles Multizero all the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic