OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which fixed power - 20x or 25x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which fixed power - 20x or 25x?
    Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:28
I picked up a Stokes Sandpiper 15-45x65 recently and I'm very happy with it. Now I'd like to pick up a new/used 20x or 25x fixed power with 50mm objective to carry in my backpack for deer and turkey hunting. I'd really like the Leupold 15-30x50 Compact but can't spend that much money. I realize offhand there will be some shake and the 25x will have more than the 20x. But off of a monopod, tree limb, off my backpack in the prone position, can I ho;d the 25x steady enough or should I restrict myself with the 20x? Thanks.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 09:47

First I will tell you that I tried using my Leupold Golden Ring Compact off a monopod during last year's hunting season.  It was a complete fiasco.  Part of the value of the spotting scope's higher magnifications includes the need to be able to simply let go of it so that your natural body motions don't cause image shake.  That means a tripod, clamp, or something in that vein. Even off a backpack or tree limb proved to be more stable than the monopod - the only problem being that those things weren't always possible or convenient to use.

Secondly, there aren't a lot of options in fixed power spotting scopes to begin with, let alone compact models.   Of course Nikon's ED50 accepts any and all Nikon fixed power eyepieces making it the all around best choice, but it will be way beyond your suggested budget. Burris does make one that is purported to be pretty good and is quite inexpensive (~$75) to boot.  I believe it is a 20x50.  Kowa also made one (TSN500 series) for awhile.  I'm not sure if they are still available and, even if they are, they were not weatherproofed at all.  It is often possible to find some old fixed power Leupold Golden Ring scopes on ebay.   Your choice of what magnification/size to buy would be limited to what was available and/or how long you are willing to wait for the one you really want to show up. You should be aware however, that those older Leupolds have very narrow Fields of View and also suffer from fairly short eye relief. 

Edited by lucznik - February/12/2009 at 09:47
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 17:34
I have a Leopold fixed power 25x50 mm spotting scope.  They made it  20 odd years ago in 20x and 25 x same size, and longer in  a 30x. model.

Mine is a great little scope, compact and tough with very good optics, only thing better in it's class I have looked through is the same scope in 20x.  Balance is important and it's hard for a 50mm to handle a 25 x eyepiece. I thought the resolution was much better on the 20  and reduced magnifigation was not very noticeable.  Power does not mean a better picture in fact it makes it harder to get a better picture.

Agree the tripod comment too. Good Tripod is essential to bring out the best in a spotter. Small is ok but it needs to be steady.  Most of the time mine is mounted on a old Freelands small size shooters tripod with a short cut off rod.  Freelands stuff is interchangable so can run it on the newer larger size too, but it's a great table or car hood top outift with the small one.

You see them used 250 dollars or so, and no matter how old carry leopolds guareetee

Boats
Boats
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 13:09
Those 20X50 Burris scopes aren't bad, if you find a good one.  It seems there is some unit variations with the 50mm Burris models.  Some are pretty good.  Most are OK.  Some are real lemons.They are work a look.
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2011 at 13:57
 One of my buddies picked up a 20-60x100 Konus that I thought was pretty good for the price. These look like a bargain and I wouldn't feel bad about lugging one of these in with my hunting gear.
Konus 15-45x50 Konuspot Spotting Scope Konus 15-45x50 Konuspot Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7124
  • Green
  • Straight
  • Comes with Table Tripod & Carrying Case
$49.95 
Konus 18x50 Handy-18 Spotting Scope Konus 18x50 Handy-18 Spotting Scope
Stock # - KON7130
  • Black
  • Angled
  • Foldable Handle w/ Tripod Attachment
$29.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/04/2011 at 13:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Deadeye103 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadeye103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 10:00
Good Morning All.....My first post....And it's a question, naturally....I'm a "mature" female just really getting into long distance (for me) target shooting.. I'm using one of my husbands .308 Win. Remington 700 rifles and right now am fair at 200 yards.  My problem is having to either walk all the way out to my target or use my rifle scope as a spotting scope to see bullet strikes and that's just not working all that well  for me.  My husband is looking at a used Unertl 100..I don't know the model number..It's an "M" something ...He's not here now or I'd ask him.  My question is; the person who is selling this scope is asking $1500.00 for it and that sounds like an awful lot of money for a used old scope.  But supposedly excellent condition. My hub is raving about it but to get it I've got to come up with half the money and that still seems like one heck of an investment on a scope thats  at least 20 or 25 years old, probably older.  It's a military, EX-military piece of equipment..
Anyone know anything about these things "??  Thanks, All
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by Deadeye103 Deadeye103 wrote:

Good Morning All.....My first post....And it's a question, naturally....I'm a "mature" female just really getting into long distance (for me) target shooting.. I'm using one of my husbands .308 Win. Remington 700 rifles and right now am fair at 200 yards.  My problem is having to either walk all the way out to my target or use my rifle scope as a spotting scope to see bullet strikes and that's just not working all that well  for me.  My husband is looking at a used Unertl 100..I don't know the model number..It's an "M" something ...He's not here now or I'd ask him.  My question is; the person who is selling this scope is asking $1500.00 for it and that sounds like an awful lot of money for a used old scope.  But supposedly excellent condition. My hub is raving about it but to get it I've got to come up with half the money and that still seems like one heck of an investment on a scope thats  at least 20 or 25 years old, probably older.  It's a military, EX-military piece of equipment..
Anyone know anything about these things "??  Thanks, All

I'm sure someone will have a response to this post.  Most of the regulars don't show up until Monday, though.  I don't know a lot about spotting scopes myself, but the only reason I'd buy a really really old expensive scope would be for nostalgia.  I imagine you could get a modern practical scope that did everything you needed for quite a bit less money. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 12:13
For that kind of money this would be the scope I would get.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 16:08

1.  Deadeye103,

I personally would never spend the kind of money quoted on an old, used spotting scope; especially not one used by the military - those young kids are HARD on equipment.  I am, however, not a collector of optics or militaria and such scopes really are the purview of such people.  It doesn't sound like you are a collector either so; I would suggest you can do much better by spending your money on a new scope from a major brand that will not have experienced hard use, benefits from the latest in optical design and coatings, and enjoys the support of a reliable warranty.

2. It's been a little over 2 years since I posted my response to the OP's question.  It was good that I had the chance to review what I had written.  I was just last night going over my list of gear for my annual backcountry hunt in September and I was contemplating passing on the tripod in favor of a monopod.  Reading my post brought back a flood of (bad) memories from the trip cited where I struggled with a monopod and eventually just had to give up on it.   I had forgotten that experience and had come full circle to where I almost made the same mistake twice.   So, lessons (re)learned:

a. It's good to (regularly) review the past so we don't repeat its mistakes. 

b. Even with small scopes, a tripod remains the best option for stabilization and is well worth its cost in weight.

Edited by lucznik - August/11/2011 at 16:09
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 19:54
I bought 3 used 20x -50mm  scopes off ebay for $10.00 each  kept the best one. However you won't get much improvement with that class of scope over some quality 8x binos on a tripod. My 20x scope sits on the shelf. You have to step up in quality to get the benefit of 20x. I found a 20-45 x 62 mm Brunton Eterna with ED glass, MSRP about $1,000.00 in mint condition off ebay for $350.00. Now that scope at 20x is very nice and is endeed a step up from the binos.
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 03:20
For those specific circumstances, I would take the 20X over the 25 anyday. Larger FOV and most likely brighter due to larger exit pupil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic