OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Classic Extreme review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Classic Extreme review
    Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:03

got the scope in and did some testing
first impressions were VERY good

I have had a ton of scopes from Nikons, Burris, Elite 4200s, Leupold VX3s, Zeiss Conquests and on up to IOR, Swarovski and Kahles

My favorite scope for hunting and what is on my Sako 270 is a Kahles 3-10x50 with a German #4 reticle

that scope has spoiled me with it's extremely clear glass, etched reticle, high resolution and excellent contrast and the #4 reticle is easily seen in very low light and I could easily take shots well past legal hunting time.
I can read license plates at 300 yards down our street with just minimal street lights and can easily read street signs at 300 yards that I can't even see with my naked eye

There's a big field behind our house and always deer in the evenings out there, so, last night about 7:15, well past dark I scanned the area with my eyes and could see a silhoette of a deer about 125 yards out due to the lighting of a bldg about 250 yards away.

The field itself has no artificial lighting and there was no moon to speak of last night..
Once the deer moved to the right where there was no backlighting it disappered to my naked eye yet I could have easily done done a neck shot on it with the Weaver and the ill ret on it's lowest setting.
Excellent..

I grabbed my Sako to check it against the Kahles, I could clearly see the deer of course and I could have taken a heart/lung shot,  though the exact crosshair intersection couldn't be clearly seen and a neck shot I wouldn't take... with the ill ret of the Weaver I could have easily popped the doe right behind the ear..

Switched back the AR with the Weaver and got back on the deer, about that same time it took off at a run and with the red dot of the ill ret I was able to follow it and could have shot it on the run.  I practice dry firing and my dad drilled it in us to keep both eyes open, don't flinch and call the shot.. no problem, when the gun went "click" the red dot was right behind the shoulder

I checked the street sign at the end of our street, right at 300 yards, I easily could read the street letters.  The sign was completely invisible to my naked eye.

I didn't do any hard resolution testing, like trying to read newspaper print at 100 yards, but from first impressions I would say this Weaver is very, very impressive and I am kind of shocked to admit I really couldn't see any glaring differences between it and the Kahles..

I did a little whacking on the scope with the ill ret turned on to make sure it stayed on after a bad experience recently with 2 Burris ill ret scopes that wouldn't stay lit after a shot or with any minor bumping of the scope and that are at Burris being repaired... the Weaver held fine.

now, they were selling these for 600 bucks or so and the closeout at 289 bucks makes this scope a STEAL in my mind

being a 56mm objective scope it's a BIG scope and wouldn't want to put it on a nice light and trim bolt action if I were going to be out walking much with the gun, but for my purposes, being on a quick detatch (ADM) mount and used for night hog hunting on my 6.8 out of a blind and having an Aimpoint on a quick detach mount for day / stalk hunting I am very happy with it. Of course, we will have to see about long term durability....

Edited by ccoker - February/12/2009 at 10:44
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 09:02
thanks for the info
PastorJDH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PastorJDH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 21:29
Thanks for the review! I am rather curious as to why these scopes are being discontinued and sold so cheap. I found another store on Guns America that is trying to get rid of all of their Simmons and Weaver Classic Extreme Scopes as a lot and this makes me a little nervous about purchasing one. I wonder if the warranty service is terrible or the this particular scope line is having a lot of problems. I recognized Weaver is no longer making anything with the illuminated reticles like these had. I wonder if that is the problem with this scope line.  I went ahead and ordered one just because it  was too good to pass up and my Bushnell Legend was acting up and putting me all over the paper and I missed three deer in as many weeks. Have you had a chance to zero the weaver yet. Someone wrote that the red dot was not in the same place as the cross hairs and through their shots off when they used it. How is yours operating so far. Have you been to the range and zeroed it yet? 
God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. He saves those who know they need saved.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 16:33
Thank you for your review. Much appreciated.
Thunbs Up
thewolfemann View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewolfemann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 13:59
I'd also be curious to know why Weaver discontinued this line.  Does it run on batteries? Maybe tritium or a fiber optic?  Also, does anyone know what the MOA per click is?  I'm assuming 1/4 MOA, but I can't find anything online that actually specifies.
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 15:06
I called Weaver customer service and the girl said that the Classic Extreme is being discontinued to develop a target scope with target type of turrets.  She also said that the Classic Extreme carries a full lifetime warranty.  My 2.5-10x50 is holding up well with excellent glass in bright or dim light.  The deal of the century.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2009 at 15:18
 GLAD for ya Doug! Sure seems Weaver is blowing a BIG opportunity here though.
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 17:06
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

GLAD for ya Doug! Sure seems Weaver is blowing a BIG opportunity here though.

Keep in mind  if Weaver hadn't discontinued this line of scopes that I would have NEVER considered it in the first place.  The fact that Weaver has decided to make changes to this line of scopes may be attributed to the fact that the Classic Extreme just didnt' sell all that well.  Who wants to pay $600 for a Weaver??  However it seems that now this discontinued line is being exposed to the buying public (only because of it's sell off pricing) we now have possibly discovered something that we were not aware of before hand.  That is .......  Weaver makes a doggone good rifle scope! Who would have thunk it?

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 20:36
 Makes sense Doug! I've got two GS's and the only couple things I would liked to have seen changed were brought about in the Classic Extreme but,as you say,at a high price. Weaver use to be among the top names in U.S. along with Leupold and Redfield.  D*mn shame things got mismanaged.

Earl
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2009 at 10:26
I broke down and bought a pair 2.5-10 x 50's and a 1.5-4.5 Classic Extreme..Wow --what  nice ( albeit a little heavy ) scopes.. I compared the glass to my Swaro AV and it is every bit as bright regardless of time of day .. The illum reticle is just right ... what a great buy.
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2009 at 00:28
can anyone comment what the field of view is like and whether eye position is critical or not. also can the illum. be turned off, and if so is the dot in the mid small enough to dissect a 1/2"dot@100? cheers!
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 10:09
I put one on a new Encore 6.5x55 and just started hunting season a week or two ago. I am amazed at how well it works in low light..............hung right in to last light with my Lieca bino's . Every bit as bright as my Conquests and close to some of the high end scopes I have had.

Unbelievable for the price. Kinda wondering if I shouldn't buy a couple more and put them up for later projects !

FOV seems good. It's got plenty of eye relief and feels like it............eye position does not seem very critical to me but like I said.......just started using it !
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 09:19
I bought two and sold the 2.5-10x56 which I regret because these Weaver Classic Extremes are a great scope.I would compare the glass to my Zeiss Conquest,I bought these scopes when they were selling for $289 a real deal.I contacted Weaver and talked to a tech that said that Meade was not selling the scope because of the high price tag MSRP was $900.He said that the scope was made in Japan by Light optics and was a very good scope.He said they were discontinued due to the cost of the scope and the take over by ATK which wanted to come out with a new line of scopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic