OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Classic Extreme ill ret scope review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Classic Extreme ill ret scope review
    Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:01

got the scope in and did some testing
first impressions were VERY good

I have had a ton of scopes from Nikons, Burris, Elite 4200s, Leupold VX3s, Zeiss Conquests and on up to IOR, Swarovski and Kahles

My favorite scope for hunting and what is on my Sako 270 is a Kahles 3-10x50 with a German #4 reticle

that scope has spoiled me with it's extremely clear glass, etched reticle, high resolution and excellent contrast and the #4 reticle is easily seen in very low light and I could easily take shots well past legal hunting time.
I can read license plates at 300 yards down our street with just minimal street lights and can easily read street signs at 300 yards that I can't even see with my naked eye

There's a big field behind our house and always deer in the evenings out there, so, last night about 7:15, well past dark I scanned the area with my eyes and could see a silhoette of a deer about 125 yards out due to the lighting of a bldg about 250 yards away.

The field itself has no artificial lighting and there was no moon to speak of last night..
Once the deer moved to the right where there was no backlighting it disappered to my naked eye yet I could have easily done done a neck shot on it with the Weaver and the ill ret on it's lowest setting.
Excellent..

I grabbed my Sako to check it against the Kahles, I could clearly see the deer of course and I could have taken a heart/lung shot,  though the exact crosshair intersection couldn't be clearly seen and a neck shot I wouldn't take... with the ill ret of the Weaver I could have easily popped the doe right behind the ear..

Switched back the AR with the Weaver and got back on the deer, about that same time it took off at a run and with the red dot of the ill ret I was able to follow it and could have shot it on the run.  I practice dry firing and my dad drilled it in us to keep both eyes open, don't flinch and call the shot.. no problem, when the gun went "click" the red dot was right behind the shoulder

I checked the street sign at the end of our street, right at 300 yards, I easily could read the street letters.  The sign was completely invisible to my naked eye.

I didn't do any hard resolution testing, like trying to read newspaper print at 100 yards, but from first impressions I would say this Weaver is very, very impressive and I am kind of shocked to admit I really couldn't see any glaring differences between it and the Kahles..

I did a little whacking on the scope with the ill ret turned on to make sure it stayed on after a bad experience recently with 2 Burris ill ret scopes that wouldn't stay lit after a shot or with any minor bumping of the scope and that are at Burris being repaired... the Weaver held fine.

now, they were selling these for 600 bucks or so and the closeout at 289 bucks makes this scope a STEAL in my mind

being a 56mm objective scope it's a BIG scope and wouldn't want to put it on a nice light and trim bolt action if I were going to be out walking much with the gun, but for my purposes, being on a quick detatch (ADM) mount and used for night hog hunting on my 6.8 out of a blind and having an Aimpoint on a quick detach mount for day / stalk hunting I am very happy with it. Of course, we will have to see about long term durability....

Edited by ccoker - February/12/2009 at 09:09
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:12

cool!!  Good ole Weaver!!!!     Thunbs Up

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 09:01
  GOOD job,cc!  I've got 4 old steel tube Weavers,1 Classic,and 2 GS's. I LIKE um! Weaver deserves it's good reputation back.
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 09:04

Although I did not do any low light testing with the Weaver (2.5-10X50), I mounted it on my Encore Prohunter 300 WM and put about twenty-five rounds down range yesterday. It held zero perfectly and the glass is as good, if not better, than my Nikon Monarch. This is my first scope with parallax adjustment and I am not sure how it will work hunting deer and bear in the forest.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 09:13
  I use to set the AO on my Leupold at 150yds for general hunting and leave it at that. No problems.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 11:35
Nice review, Weaver used to be a "house hold" name in optics , sounds like their trying to get back in the house.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 14:56
Good to hear my first scope was a used weaver back around 48 or 50, it opened up a whole new world of hunting
Duce  Big Grin
Duce
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 16:04
yeah, my dad is in his late 70s and he has joked about how a long time ago "you mean a scope works in the daylight ?"
they did a lot of night time varmint hunting and a lot of gator hunting at night
they used to use an old miners headlamp and a 6" Smith 357 loaded with 38 special loads with a 158g wadcutter, he you popped em between the eyes and it was lights out...

dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 20:42
Well it is good to know it just wasn't my 54 yr old eyeballs that were out of whack.  My findings were very similar in that I could see no appreciable difference between the brightness and clarity of a Kahles CL 3-9x42 and my Weaver CE 2.5-10x50 in very dim lit conditions.  I was shocked by my discovery and thought for sure that it was my aging eyesight that was to blame.  I wish I could afford to buy another Weaver Classic Extreme.  They are the buy of the century.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 07:37
 REALLY GOOD to hear!! THANKS for reportin in Doug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic