OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need help....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need help....
    Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:49
Well I am taking a History class this semester and I have been given an assignment to right a term paper on a topic of our choice. The only guideline is it must be in the time period we are studying 1500-present. So I was thinking of doing a paper on the early days of firearms but I need to be more specific than that. The paper only needs to be 1000 words. Any suggestions would help tremendously.

Thanks
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:55
Monster, if you only have 1000 words, your topic is WAY too broad.  Since firearms really gained prominence as a weapon of war in the 1500's, perhaps just a treatise on what caused them to suddenly become such a force in warfare?   That would easily consume 1000 words.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:59
Yea I know it is way to broad that is why I am asking for input on a specific topic that may be of interest.........Thanks for the reply. I know a little bit about why they were such a force in warfare it may be a good topic.....
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 19:21
How about a brief history of ignition systems: matchlock to wheel lock to flintlock to precussion cap to rimfire cartridge to centerfire. Or the effects rifling made to early warfare and the development of sniping, etc..
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 19:33
  Or the change from black powder cartridges to smokeless and how calibers went from large to small. There ya go! 15wds already,only 985 to go!
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 19:53
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

How about a brief history of ignition systems: matchlock to wheel lock to flintlock to precussion cap to rimfire cartridge to centerfire. Or the effects rifling made to early warfare and the development of sniping, etc..

I like the effects of rifling topic. Maybe I'll write a paper on it.........for my CNC class???........nevermind, I don't need a paper. At least you get to write a paper on something you are interested in. That always helped my grades.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 20:17
Unless the prof/ta wears realtree to class. Don't do firearms!  You will loose half a grade letter before the thing is graded.  May I suggest the Boer war or the last Spanish civial war.  "We are not here to die for our cause, we are here to make the other dumb sob die for thier cause." Patton paraphrased.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 20:18
1000 words???!!!   That's like----three paragraphs!!!!   Laugh    You could just go over the basics of lock, stock and barrel of a flintlock and be done!!  Like show-and-tell!! 

Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Unless the prof/ta wears realtree to class. Don't do firearms!  You will loose half a grade letter before the thing is graded.  May I suggest the Boer war or the last Spanish civial war.  "We are not here to die for our cause, we are here to make the other dumb sob die for thier cause." Patton paraphrased.

That's funny right there. My CNC instructor wears Realtree. We talk hunting for 10-15 min. after classBig Smile

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 15:03
Monster I know you picked this topic because of your great interest in it ....but it may be too wide a spectrum. Like others said pick a certain topic.. ie.. ignition /rifling / bullet type and construction / ...just trying too help...by the way I'm not that OLD or knowledgeable don't ask....LOL
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 15:05
That is what I said from the beginning I know the history of firearms is to broad that is why I was asking help for specific topics within the history of firearms......
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 15:14
How about the value of guns.  They have proven throughout history to be one of the few items that always hold their value and are always in demand.  A guy done a presentation of this in one of my investment classes in college.  Pretty interesting stuff.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 15:28
Here is a topic foung in several places on the web I like it. Deals with why some rifles recoil is felt more than than in others. Found this on Indians for Guns.

Right or left hand rifling

1. Newtons laws of physics hold within the firearms community. Thus, if a
bullet is caused to spin either by a lefthand or righthand twist rifled
barrel, it does so because there is an exact same force (less frictional
losses) exerted on the rest of the rifle. Hence, as the bullet accelrates to
(say) the right along a rifled barrel, the rifle itself is is accelerated to
the left. The rifle wights more than the bullet, so the degree of
acceleration is proportional to the bullet/rifle weight ratio as a function of
the exit velocity of the projectile from the rifle muzzle.

2. From the 1850's onwards the British tended to have an empire where
rifled sporting firearms came into widespread use in India and Africa, and
said empire was populated by large/dangerous animals, in turn requiring large
bore / high energy projectiles to safely dispatch. Shooting large bore
projectiles has the downside that said projectiles tend to pound the user.
The larger the rifle bore, the larger the energy (in general terms) and hence
the larger the energy able to be transmitted either left or right by the stock
.... into the users cheek.

3. Here is the crux of the topic. By choosing to rifle the bore either
with right hand twist or left hand twist rifling, the designer can choose to
have the rifle stock twist into the shooters face or twist away from their
face. By convention, the British chose to have the rifling of their large
bore rifles cause the stock (remember Mr Newtons laws here) to move away from
the shooters face, rather than twist into their cheekbones. The recoil energy
transmitted to the users shoulder remains the same in both cases.
Interestingly, many American makers at the turn of the century made barrels
with a twist opposite to the "standard" British pattern, thereby causing their
customers to directly experiece a triumph of fashion over physics.

4. For an interesting demonstration of the abovee, obtain two identical
rilfes, preferably with high combs for scope mounts ... one with left hand
rifling, one with left hand rifling. Obtain a very solid cheek weld and fire
the same ammunition in both rifles. One rifle will twist into your cheek, one
will twist away from your cheek. You will immediately be able to tell which
rifling is which, as one of the rifles will smash into your cheek while the
other will not disturb you at all. The author had the opportunity to observe
this at first hand some 25 years ago, a lesson not easily forgotton in heavy
recoilng rifles.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 16:07

Eek
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 07:48
This/he would be a good topic if i'm not to late.

David Marshall Williams, (Carbine williams)
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2009 at 14:47
John Browning would be another choice
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 10:28
talk about why the .30-06 is better than the .270
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 12:00
hahaha very funny pyro glad to see you back.........I think you might right a good paper on that
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 12:14
you should do that one about the marine in college who was listening to the prof. talk about how god didnt exsist and that he would give god 15min to send him a sign that he did and the marine walks up there and knocks him out.  when he comes to the marine says something to the effect that "you can thank god for marines who allow assholes like you to stand up here and say whatever you want by giving there lives."

Edited by pyro6999 - February/18/2009 at 14:21
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2009 at 12:24
Monster, you are in California.  If you want to write a paper about firearms, you best bet of getting a good grade is to write about the evil of private gun ownerships and how all gun owners should be shot with their own guns.  Anything more gun-friendly than that and you will be lucky to get a C.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic