OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your thoughts on hunting shows.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts on hunting shows.
    Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:25
Last night the little man, who  is fighting a cold, wanted nothing more than to sleep in daddy's arms.  Well, sitting in the chair you watch TV and a hunting show was on.  I can't remember the name of the show or even what time it was on, but it was about long range "hunting".  In this particular show, the hunter had shown up with no gun, was using the guides, had never shot the gun, and cranked off a round at an elk at 400+ yards, and according to the show connected on the 1st round.  In the interview after the kill shot, the guy is carrying on about how the gun was not his, never fired, but had all kinds of confidence in the guide that the gun would be on.  To me this is baloney.  Am I crazy?  I shoot a .270 zeroed at 200 yards and practice a lot, but furthest I have ever shot a deer is maybe 100 - 125 yards.  I have never had an opportunity to shoot a deer a further ranges, but would be ready.  I would never dream about taking a pot shot at something 200 yards + without practicing with the gun, much less one that the guide handed to me.  Am I way to conservative in my hunting or not?  To me this leads some people to head off with the idea that anyone can pull this shot off.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:33
This is TV land!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:58
Reality TV .....Loco
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 20:55
If what you saw wasn't edited beyond reason, you can bet that if what normally happens in that situation. They wouldn't have aired that hunt. Not to say that you can't have confidence in someone's ability to zero a rifle. I zero other guy's rifles all the time, but I don't let them hunt with me unless they prove that the rifle is on for them. It's just too easy to check a rifle for accuracy before a hunt. So I agree that such an example is not good for a novice or the general public.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 21:47
I guess its possible, the guild is probably very familiar with his rifle, knew the range and coached the shooter. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 22:09
It is again a fine example to those of us that do hunt. That there are far too many out there making life hard on all of us. They seriously need to look before they leap and understand what the odds stacked against us are. It is purely irresponsible to allow something to have been presented in this manner even if it is the truth.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 01:33

A lot depends on the shooter and the guy that zeroed the rifle. I know some guys that would pull it off. Not a responsible thing to do though, and worse to air it on TV. Some guys love to be drama queens and would pull stunts like that just to be ...well....dramatic.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 07:08
  So what's the problem with some of todays "hunters"?  They don't want to take the time to shoot or are they afraid to shoot?  I see quite a few of the latter when they come to use my range. As long as they hit the target they're "good to go".
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 07:23
Seems like poor ethics to me.  If he was shooting at a paper target under this situation no problem,  if he is off target only the paper suffers.  But shooting at an animal under those conditions is a whole different issue.

At the very least it presents a poor image with a lack of regard and respect for the animal he was hunting. 
God save the Empire!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Seems like poor ethics to me. 

Ethics, seem like they are getting scarcer and scarcer, even beyond hunting.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 08:57
   There is nothing beyond hunting! It's the ultimate!   Yippee
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 11:53
If it's the same one I saw, the hunter was a Marine sniper.  If the guide is confident in the weapon I'd have no issues with that guy taking the shot.  Could I step in and make that shot with no practice??  That's a whole other question.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 12:23
Did he get scope bit?

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 07:13
I generally don't watch hunting shows.  The incessant whispering and all of this running-at-the-mouth jabbering in hushed tones drives me up a freakin' wall. 

I like to view the photography and the game but I don't really think the actual kill translates well on television.  Maybe I'm too worried about how an anti-hunter would view this.  I do not mind when the animal goes crashing down like Chris Farris' elk did on his video...(  Big Grin  <---------big sucking a** here!!!!   Laugh ) 

Anyway, I have never been a watcher of these shows.  I would rather see fellows just shooting stuff like targets and see close-ups of the guns.  And when I go hunting I don't talk incessantly in a whisper.   'Cause I ain't on the Tee-Vee.........Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 13:20
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!! Quite Ed.  The deer might hear you, even after you pulled the trigger on a 300 mag with a muzzle break, or they are all standing around holding their ears wondering what in the devil made all that noise!!Big Smile

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I generally don't watch hunting shows.  The incessant whispering and all of this running-at-the-mouth jabbering in hushed tones drives me up a freakin' wall. 

I like to view the photography and the game but I don't really think the actual kill translates well on television.  Maybe I'm too worried about how an anti-hunter would view this.  I do not mind when the animal goes crashing down like Chris Farris' elk did on his video...(  Big Grin  <---------big sucking a** here!!!!   Laugh ) 

Anyway, I have never been a watcher of these shows.  I would rather see fellows just shooting stuff like targets and see close-ups of the guns.  And when I go hunting I don't talk incessantly in a whisper.   'Cause I ain't on the Tee-Vee.........Shocked

I'm with you, Ed.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 18:05

Roger that.  That whispering garbage makes me want to hunt hunting shows...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 10:40
Originally posted by Heavishot Heavishot wrote:

If it's the same one I saw, the hunter was a Marine sniper.  If the guide is confident in the weapon I'd have no issues with that guy taking the shot.  Could I step in and make that shot with no practice??  That's a whole other question.

I would think that a Marine sniper of all people would have checked the weapon himself, rather than take somebody's word on it. I would have. I spend plenty of time shooting at these ranges, and am comfortable shooting game at 400 or beyond if need be, but I would never do it with a rifle I didn't have supreme confidence in.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic