OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where is the surprise ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 16:21
I like Leupold. I just don't love them.

There are other brands that work better, and cost the same or less.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 16:29
Yeah but do they come with tissue?  That out of an MRE?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 16:30
It's Uh...........Tactical Tissue?

Cyborg
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 17:07
Haha. Guys, any idea where I can look at good used Bushnell 4200 for sale?  I prefer 50mm lense and target turrets. Thanks
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 17:13
Originally posted by shooter4 shooter4 wrote:

Haha. Guys, any idea where I can look at good used Bushnell 4200 for sale?  I prefer 50mm lense and target turrets. Thanks

You probably won't find many used 50mm 4200's.  They haven't offered them long.  In fact used 4200's of any ilk are not very common.
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 17:24
I remember seeing 6-24x50mm Bush 4200 somewhere a while ago. Looked sweet. Well its no problem. I keep on looking - I want to compare them a little better to the VXiii
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 17:27

I remember seeing 6-24x50mm Bush 4200 somewhere a while ago. Looked sweet. Well its no problem. I keep on looking - I want to compare them a little better to the VXiii

They seem to have the 50mm's geared a little more toward the tactical crowd.  I wish they'd offer it in more of a target scope configuration.  If they did I'd have one.  THe 6-24x40 with target dot is a very good scope for any bench game with a 24x limit. 
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:10

I've heard that the 4200 is good, but if anybody believes it holds with the VXIII I want to hear about it. I would honestly be suprised. I'm talkin low light and clearity, not ideal conditions.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 20:23
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

I've heard that the 4200 is good, but if anybody believes it holds with the VXIII I want to hear about it. I would honestly be suprised. I'm talkin low light and clearity, not ideal conditions.

I'll bite.  I own several VXIII's and like them all.  But I in no way subscribe to the dilusion that they are optically superior to a 4200.  In any light.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 22:13
I own the VXIII I have owned the 4200 Elite as well. (Still would except for thieves) The 4200 is better optically speaking. Do I still like the VXIII? Yes I do as a matter of fact. It has been a very good scope.

Cyborg
OHE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OHE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 12:09
  With any large scope, I'd stay with the makes that do actual recoil testing and have a solid rep for holding up well.  What I've heard and seen is that the big scopes are much more trouble prone than the small scopes are.  But, since you want a dramatic increase in low light/night time performance, the big scopes are the only way to go. 
  Yes, glass and coatings make a difference, but not what many think. 
  Pick something from a name brand that's fully multicoated and has a rep for reliability.  The only cheaper 56m scopes I know of with the kind of rep I insist on are made my Leupold and are way out of your price range.  But there are some good 50mm scopes that are pretty close.  Again, Bushnell Elites and the cheaper Leupolds like the VXII's. 
  One of the most important things is to make sure you have a heavier reticle than standard.  I like the Leupold Heavy Duplex for this.  I don't know what Bushnell has for options in their Elite 4200, 50mm scopes.   I've never needed one for twilight shooting, but for night shooting I usually do need one. 
  Another thing I've noticed is that if your scope choice isn't fully focused, that means not just the reticle but the image as well, then it's performance will suffer during low light conditions.  Leupold users, in particular, loose alot of their scope's performance simply because they think that all they need do is focus the reticle.  Not so.  Big difference.   I went from not being able to see anything in the way of bullet holes at 100 yds with my 6X Leupolds to being able to see .25 caliber bullet holes regularly.  all because I learned how to focus the reticle and then the image of the scope. 
  Whatever you do, stay away from the cheap, not well known scopes.  Even some of the name brands have problems with the really big scopes from what I've seen.  OHE 

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 18:53
[/QUOTE]
 I'll bite.  I own several VXIII's and like them all.  But I in no way subscribe to the dilusion that they are optically superior to a 4200.  In any light.

[/QUOTE] I own the VXIII I have owned the 4200 Elite as well. (Still would except for thieves) The 4200 is better optically speaking. Do I still like the VXIII? Yes I do as a matter of fact. It has been a very good scope.

Shocked I'm speachless and agast!!! Dare I concede to error. Never!

Atleast not until I get a do over. I'll find me another 4200 and give er another look, but don't think you'll get over on me so easy. I'm doing this one sober and in the day time!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:19
The Bushnell Banner 3-9x56 made in Japan not the Asian Bushnell Banner.Yes the 3200 or 4200 are good scopes, the question was for the large bell scopes under $300 USD.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

For that price you may find a used 3-12x56 redfield ultimate illuminator that is a 30mm tube.Any of the Nikon Monarch or Sightron S2 work in the under $300 price range, the older made in Japan Bushnell Banner 3-9x56 is the only decent Bushnell, the newer ones are cheap.Shop around you should find a good scope.
The made in Japan Bushnell Banner are good scopes not the newer Banners made somewhere else,the Elite series are very good.As long as it says made in Japan!!! 

Hunter I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I have found the 3200's and especially the 4200's to be fine scopes.  As far as I know the 4200's are still made in Japan and the glass and mechanicals are good as attested to by a number of posters on the forum.
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 15:07
OK guys. My search for the "pleasant surprise" is almost complete. I have decided on a scope. I wont tell you yet. But I´ll post a picture here in the next days and explain my choice.

THANK YOU 4 YOUR INPUTS
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 16:50
I found it
TR22R Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $806.95
More Info... Buy Now
or was it this
11417 Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $373.95
More Info... Buy Now
one

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 08:56
Well Ive taken action and bought a scope. My mission statement failed in someways - but success in others. Heres the skinny:

1) Performance in low light: accomplished (very good glass)
2) High magnification for varmint hunting: accomplished.
3) Attractive recticle: accomplished.
4) Overall good build quality: accomplished.
5) Target turrets: accomplished.
6) 300$ budget: Failed
7) Element of surprise: accomplished (when my wife sees the bill!)

So I choose the Zeiss 6.5-20x50mm with mil dot. Its expensive but after I inspected it I wanted to make extra effort and pay more for the quality. I´ve seen pretty decent scopes for 300$. This one is worlds better. I figured if I bought cheaper scope it would not be satisfactory and I end up buying another one, more expensive. Im hoping this one will do the trick one and for all.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 09:03
 Ya don't have to convince us! Just your wife! LOL
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 09:18
Very nice.
God save the Empire!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2009 at 11:23
Man! you went all out! If your disappointed I'll trade you, just tell me what you want. boat, truck, camper?

Excelant choice, maybe if you sell something your wife will be easier to win over. Thats how I've kept things afloat. Well there are those things she hasn't seen yet! Your own your own buddy! Peeker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic