OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where is the surprise ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the surprise ??
    Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:05
ShockedHoly crow!

I borrowed a friends rifle with Smidt & Beneder scope that had a 56mm lense. We went on a warmint hunt during the night and WOW!- that was a good bright scope. Now I want to update my old scope to something brighter. I guess I have to look for something with 50 or 56mm lense and decent magnification - I´ll often be shooting 300 yards mostly during evening or middle of the night. For some strange reason Loco there is not nearly enough money in my wallet to buy Smidth & Bender, so I´ll have to settle for something relatively cheap, say close to 300$

I guess its true most of the time that you get what you pay for. But I also know we often pay quite a bit for a name brand. So I have a hope that there is a "no-name" scope out there that performs well for my low light varmit shooting and has my kind of pricetag. Im not expecting Smidth and Bender performance but still hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Where is my best bet for that surprise?

Good day.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:23
I'm not brave enough to suggest any $300 scope that will "surprise" you like a Schmidt & Bender.  I'd be nice to know what scopes you have now to come up with a recommendation for a scope that's dramatically better. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:37
Yes, in that price range you will have to be content with the Bushnell 4200 3X9,  the Nikon Primos,  and the Nikon Buckmasters.....maybe some Sightrons.....Smile     
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:38
No man, like I said I dont expect S&B performance (what a scope that is!). But Im still hoping that there is a scope out there that I can feel good about spending my few remaining bucks on.  I refuse to accept that I cant hunt at night even though I dont have as much $ as I´d like.  So what do you say guys?
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:40

Can anyone post a link to those scopes?

ThanX
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:51

Shooter, I know you don't expect S&B performance.  But not knowing what you use now it's hard to suggest something that will impress you.  Know what I mean?  The best scopes for $300 would be 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, and I've heard of some insane deals on the discontinued Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40's for $350.  Possibly throw in a Sightron SII.  Go to SWFA to find pics and specs of what I listed.

If you already own any of these you will not be surprised at any of the others.

Edited by Horsemany - February/11/2009 at 07:51
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:54
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 07:56
Check out the sample list.

This stock number gets you close:

9256 Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 422151M, Matte finish, Illuminated 4A reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, ring marks $625.00 $399.95
God save the Empire!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:05
Good call Dogger I was compiling a list as you posted from http://www.samplelist.com/

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:06
  Here are some in no order of preference:

Edited by 300S&W - February/11/2009 at 08:24
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:26

Over to you shooter4!

Just don't fall prey to "analysis paralysis".

God save the Empire!
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:32
First of all, thanks for your answers. I have old 3-9-40 bushnell. Quite OK for daylight and close shooting. But quits on me for longer ranges during dusk. Id like a bit more Zoom but not sure if it hurts overall brightness? 

I´ve just checked out the swfa site. Its nice altough Id wish the products where rated also by customers (therefore Im asking for your help here). So far I like these (in no specific order):

A) Millett 4-16x56 Buck gold. 
B) Bushnell 3200 5-15x50
C) Truglo Infinity 6-24x44 
D) Barska 6-24x60 Swat Extreme.

Anyone has experience with these optics?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:37
B) Bushnell 3200 5-15x50
from all I have read and heard and talked to people about this is the best fo the bunch you listed.
This would be a great choice also with a little better glass from what I have read

shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:49
OK, I feel Im getting a better picture of what I can get. The Bushnell could be a pleasant buy. The 56mm Millett is also interesting but I wonder if its just a "all show - no performance" thing?  What ya think?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 08:56

I'm not sure. I like to keep a low as possible profile to my rifle scopes. The lower it is the easier it is to move it around to get the "perfect shot" and I don't bounce it off trees as much. That’s just me. Just be patient and more knowledgeable folks will drop in and give you all the answers you need and some you didn’t.

Welcome to Optics talk also shooter we are glad to have you aboard.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 09:11
  Shooter,I wouldn't overlook considering this. Checkout the specs. Plus it's looks like it's going to be under $300. Just came out:

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 09:20
Just because a X brand scope has a bigger objective then Y brand scope does not mean it will be brighter.  If the Y brand scope has better glass and coatings and only a 40mm objective it is most likely going to be brighter than X brand with a 50mm objective. 

Now if you compared two scopes where everything else was equal and X was 40mm and Y was 50mm then yes you will see a low light performance increase.

My advice, stay away from Barska and Truglow, they are junk.  Stick with the scopes that everyone is recommending.  Bushnell, Nikon, Sightron, Burris, Leupold, etc.  You are not likely going to see a huge wow factor with a $300 scope vs the one you got like you did with the S&B that is one of the best scope you can buy.  But you should be able to see a nice impovement with some of these listed.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 09:49
For that price you may find a used 3-12x56 redfield ultimate illuminator that is a 30mm tube.Any of the Nikon Monarch or Sightron S2 work in the under $300 price range, the older made in Japan Bushnell Banner 3-9x56 is the only decent Bushnell, the newer ones are cheap.Shop around you should find a good scope.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 10:20
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 11:27
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

For that price you may find a used 3-12x56 redfield ultimate illuminator that is a 30mm tube.Any of the Nikon Monarch or Sightron S2 work in the under $300 price range, the older made in Japan Bushnell Banner 3-9x56 is the only decent Bushnell, the newer ones are cheap.Shop around you should find a good scope.

Hunter I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I have found the 3200's and especially the 4200's to be fine scopes.  As far as I know the 4200's are still made in Japan and the glass and mechanicals are good as attested to by a number of posters on the forum.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic