OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Larue Tactical Stealth 18"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Larue Tactical Stealth 18"
    Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:11
This is my first post, I've been frequently on this forum looking up so much information on optics and just wanted to say thanks.

I have recently ordered a 18" Larue Tactical Stealth upper for my SPR build. I have been searching high and low on this forum and ar15.com and haven't quite decided what glass I want on it.  For those who have no idea what type of upper this is it's a flat top, I have mind set on larue's tactical QD LT-104 mount, especially nice I might add as I have already have one on my 20" RRA Coyote, that by the way has a Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200.  This SPR will be used for varmint/predators, in the southwest and also paper punching.  Budget as much as 800$ Distances up to 600 yards, 30mm tube would be nice, variable is a must.  Thanks for your time!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:44
Welcome aboard.  I have never used anything on an AR-type rifle except iron and accupoint.  But there are a number of guys here who will weigh in.  Good to have you with the OT.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 21:44
I have a 19" 6.5 Grendel AR that saw a number of different scopes on it:

IOR 3-18x42FFP (current setup)
IOR 2-12x32
Kahles American Hunter 3-9x42

The furthest I shot that gun has been 700 yards.

Since you are planning to shoot fairly far out, you need a scope that has easy to use knobs.  In terms of magnification, anything with 9x or greater top end should work just fine, provided the optics are good enough to let you aim at fairly small targets.  At the low end 3x or 4x should work fine as well.  A friend of mine who does a lot varmint hunting has recently switched from 8-18x scope to a higher quality 3-9x because he needed less magnification than 6x.

I think the most versatile option is probably Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with tall knobs (new for this year).  It should easily fit within your budget and offer excellent versatility and quality.

Another good choice is Sightron S3 3.5-10x44, which will work a bit better in low light and is likely to have a slight edge in optical quality.

These two would probably be my top choices.  You can also look at Burris XTR 3-12x50 though.

If you are willing to go up in price a bit, there are some interesting options within the Meotpa and IOR offerings.

Conversely, there are some 1" tube scopes that are also probably worth a look (somewhat less expensive Vortex Viper and Bushnell Elite 4200 models), but you said you want a 30mm one.

ILya
VDUBboraGLI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 22:19
Thanx Kickerboxer...

Koshkin,
             Thanks for the input/advice.  Never checked out Sightron did see this which caught my attention Sightron 6-24x50 S3 30mm... having a higher magnification would be nice especially at farther ranges.
             Burris XTR series has also caught my attention, I have looked at this scope before when I bought my first AR, didn't go with it mainly b/c of the price at the time, 4-12x illuminated is a plus, and also larue tactical has a mount/scope combo.
I've always been interested in Zeiss especially since they have an interesting reticle the Rapid Z 600.   Anyone have any experience with this scope, only downside would be it's a 1" rather than 30mm, but might budge... Again thanx for the input/advice:D!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 22:56
If this scope is purely for target shooting, then 6-24x50 S3 is a good way to go.  If it is going to double is a walking varminter or something along those lines, I would go with a 3.5-10x44 or something that offers similar low end magnification.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 20:00
Alright well I think I'll stick with bushnell elite 6500, thanks for the info
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 16:12
Welcome to Optics Talk.
Love to see pics of that rifle when it's up and running. Evil Black Rifle
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 23:06

Well two mths from now I should have a my upper:D and I'll definitely post a few pics

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 00:09
TR23R New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                        New Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $1,019.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:36

Came home saw something AMAZING!!! THIS!!!

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:37
Now I was anxious to open it up and this is what I got:D!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:38
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:39
Put the 18" Upper on my POF lower, stole the optic setup from my RRA Coyote and whoa!!! NICE!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:40
Looks great with the family
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VDUBboraGLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:48
Well originally was set on getting an Elite 6500, but recently found out I'll be deploying.  I'll have a good amount of time to save up,  so I'll be going with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-20X50.  Any objections?!?!?! haha doubt it:D!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic