OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Survival Gun Overall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Survival Gun Overall
    Posted: February/10/2009 at 17:53
The question of being dropped into Indian Territory is pretty non-realistic in the "Best Survival Gun" question. I'd like to set a more realistic scenario. What you carry is what you've got, period, i.e., Shelter, clothes, food, first aid, water systems, etc., which also would include any or all firearms and ammo you wish to lug around. Let's say you're going to get dropped into the middle of nowhere with nothing but what you can carry. Now, what are you gonna bring? You gotta eat, you gotta protect yourself, and you gotta carry it and all you ammo too. What is it gonna be? I'm sayin...one gun and all the ammo you can carry. If this was the scenario, what would you bring? I know what I'd bring but I won't jade your creativity. I'm just interested to know what YOU think. Then after a few responses I'll tell you my choice and why. Go for it Mr. Survival....tell me more. There is no limit on number of guns...just remember, you're luggin it.
You gotta carry it.
Mangudai_87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mangudai_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:02
Thats a good question, but as per the idea of survival - war - or the wilderness? If it were war, a semi auto(If the scenario were to happen to a civilian). But if it were the wilderness I would bring my Savage 10fp 308 Bolt Action with 10x42 super sniper scope, that set up has been the best I've handled so far. And being as such I wouldn't be sure for how long I would be stuck there, I would want that in order to hunt. Also being able to repel any threat from a rather large distance is ok by me. Keep the gap wide and make your way to safety.
"Even a man who has nothing, can still offer his life."
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:10
You can only carry so much food, right? For sure the 308 would be ideal for any long range game. When you drop that mule deer at 500 yds you're only going to be able to eat so much unless you jerky it before it goes south on you. It will be great for intruders. The gun weighs alot, so does the ammo. Besides the rifle you've got all you're other gear on your back as well. How far are you going to make it with all that weight?
You gotta carry it.
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:12
I'm sorry, I'm referring to wilderness, not war.
You gotta carry it.
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:18
Ok, to make it easier...your D.B. Cooper, gonna jump out of a plane with a parachute in the middle of God knows nowhere wilderness with just what you've got on your back. What's it gonna be? Maybe you wouldn't bring a gun at all I don't know. I'm not trying to jade any thinking here. What are the priorities gonna be?
You gotta carry it.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:23
Indian

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:25
A tomahawk and a bow my Imaginary Friend?
You gotta carry it.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:28
All you need take is Chuck Norris everything else is a fail.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:33
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

All you need take is Chuck Norris everything else is a fail.

"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:34
Seriously, wilderness survival contains many more elements than just what gun you have. Many more. Therefore, I believe these other elements come in to play in making the ultimate decision as to what gun might be the best if you were daypacking and car camping out of a park. I'm talkin deep. All by yourself with nothing else but what you can carry.
You gotta carry it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mangudai_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:38
Well in that case, a 308 would be over kill. Eat what you cant carry, then carry the rest. So I would choose probably a Savage 12fv in 22-250. (Yes I am a fan of SavageBig Grin) Hunt the smaller game such as jackrabbit or coyote.  Weight wouldn't be too much of a problem, as a good sling can offset the weight of a varmint barreled rile easily. My 2 cents anyway.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mangudai_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:41
Oh yeah, and packing a little heat such as a good 1911 45 just for those close encounters. But if a bear were trudging your way and you needed to defend yourself.... hope you can shoot it in the head. Or a good Ruger Super Red hawk 44 Mag revolver could do the trick, heavy but more than likely necessary. In the Army they don't care how much you weigh, lol, just as long as you have everything you need.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 18:49
NewbieS   I think we will let the new guys have this one!
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:22
As far as Griz country, all the Alaskan fishing guides carry 12 ga. shotguns. As far as Black Bear, don't eat at your campsite or have any food at your campsite. Hang it in a tree 200 yds from where you sleep. If you've backpacked in bear country you know the game. I guess Rifle Looney has the opinion that his forum status supercedes any special forces survival training and field proven tactical M.O., uh? Too good for me. I think we should hear what his opinion is as well. What do you think?
You gotta carry it.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:27
OK first I was think of carrying a 12 ga. but then I thought ammo for that is a little heavy. I then thought of maybe something like a 300 WM but that rifle would be heavy to carry. But heck if a little extra weight gives me piece of mind, I'm going go with that. In addition to my 300 WM I would carry a good sling shot to take down smaller game. That's would be my plan for now unless I am persuaded otherwise. 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:47
With everything else I'd be lugging I wouldn't even consider bringing a rifle period. Too much weight and clumsy to carry. Way too much weight for what it's worth, not to even mention the weight of the ammo. Are you really all that worried about bears? Bears want food. Number One Rule, don't make you food. Number Two Rule, don't hang around their food. There are more tools than guns to keep bears away, like big ass fires, and dogs, and loud noises to mention a few. It doesn't take a 10 pound 44 cal. Super Redhawk to do that let alone a 12 ga. and the tonnage of all that ammo. Think about it. What would you really need? Bare bones. Shave it down. Think about it.
You gotta carry it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:50
Taurus "The Judge" and a good Bowie knife.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:51
Originally posted by drd34 drd34 wrote:

As far as Griz country, all the Alaskan fishing guides carry 12 ga. shotguns. As far as Black Bear, don't eat at your campsite or have any food at your campsite. Hang it in a tree 200 yds from where you sleep. If you've backpacked in bear country you know the game. I guess Rifle Looney has the opinion that his forum status supercedes any special forces survival training and field proven tactical M.O., uh? Too good for me. I think we should hear what his opinion is as well. What do you think?

nope not at all but as far as tactical not in to it. Opinion just that have we done this .just stating the new guys can have this one ,when they are done we can compare and have more to read. ps as for my status means nadda too me I just earned it.

Edited by rifle looney - February/10/2009 at 20:01
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:06
Amen to that brother. Tactical is just another semantic term for having your act together and half way planning on and knowing what to expect from past experiences and similar situations. Having been there, and done that helps a bit. I guess I've got you all at a bit of a disadvantage. Sorry for the "cat and mouse" but I wanted to see where you were all coming from being the newbie and all. My appologies for any misunderstandings. They weren't intended (tongue in cheek).
You gotta carry it.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:08
NO harm nor foul! keep on keeping on!

Edited by rifle looney - February/10/2009 at 20:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic