OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

holo sights vs. red dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: holo sights vs. red dot
    Posted: February/09/2009 at 20:12
what advantages would a holosight like ecotech have over a red-dot? 

these holosights are pretty expensive compaired to quality dots so they must be better... correct?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 14:47
I don't know all the advantages/disadvantages, so I can only tell you why I selected the Eotech holosight over a red dot.

Adv of Eotech -- more compact unit, no tunnel vision, more immediately visible reticle, more forgiving of head alignment, seemed to me to present less clutter in the sight picture during "both eyes open" target aquisition.

Adv of Red Dots, i.e. Aimpoint -- longer battery life, less expensive.

The battery life issue wasn't a detriment to me, as the Eotech's batt life is still plenty for my uses.  If you leave the sight turned on constantly, all day, all the time, then this may be a consideration.  Aimpoints definitely have longer advertised batt life by a considerable margin.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 16:37
A couple more comments:

Eotechs have some reticle pixellation that a lot of people find distracting.  Personally, I do not pay attention to that when I have to acquire a target quickly.

With red dot sights like the Aimpoint, I tend to sight them in for a six o'clock hold, like I do my handguns and they work very fast.  I am very impressed with micro Aimpopints that I saw.  Of the full size red dot sights, I prefer Millett's ZoomDot since the ability to change the size of the dot comes in helpful.  Of the les expensive red dot sights, I am currently reviewing Vortex StrikeFire, and it is looking pretty good.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 16:49
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A couple more comments:

Eotechs have some reticle pixellation that a lot of people find distracting.  Personally, I do not pay attention to that when I have to acquire a target quickly.

Yes, this is true, but that effect is most prominent when the operator has illumination intensity turned up too bright for the conditions.  Although the pixellation doesn't bother me at all, and isn't noticeable when shooting quickly, it is greatly reduced or eliminated when you turn the intensity down.  More than the pixellation issue, I find by turning the intensity down so it is just visible in the predominant light conditions, the reticle gets thinner and more defined for more precise aim when you aren't shooting quickly.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 17:07
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A couple more comments:

Yes, this is true, but that effect is most prominent when the operator has illumination intensity turned up too bright for the conditions.  Although the pixellation doesn't bother me at all, and isn't noticeable when shooting quickly, it is greatly reduced or eliminated when you turn the intensity down.  More than the pixellation issue, I find by turning the intensity down so it is just visible in the predominant light conditions, the reticle gets thinner and more defined for more precise aim when you aren't shooting quickly.

In the latest Eotechs I have seen, that pixellation is more apparent than in the samples from a couple of years ago.  I wonder if they have changed their components a bit in an attempt to coax more battery life out of them.

ILya
pippin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 13:02
I have both and each has its strengths and weaknesses.  Aimpoints are cheaper, have longer battery life and I think are a little more rugged.

IMHO eotechs design/reticle make them faster and easier to use.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 16:25
I would offer that 'which is better' depends on what you are using the tool for. It is a bit like asking which is better vice grips or an adjustable wrench.

Eotechs are popular with folks who are working a more controlled environment. SWAT teams and the like who know when and where the engagement will take place.

Aimpoints are popular with folks who have to live with them in the field and have to deal with issues such as battery life etc.

Personally I find EOtechs unusable in low light. The ring around the aiming point throws too much light into the operator's eye. If you turn it down enough to avoid glare you can't see the center dot very well after a muzzle flash.

I have read that some SWAT guys have had trouble with the Aimpoints, specifically the 2MOA dots vanishing when in changing light conditions, so they suggest the larger 4 MOA dots. 

your milage may vary...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 20:13
used both and like both

aimpoints are reportedly tougher and offer a much longer battery life

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 06:28
Aimpoints are "cheaper" than Eothingys??
I've always thought the opposite. MOST Aimpoints are sold without a mount which must be purchased separately, whereas the EO's can be mounted (maybe not ideally) to an AR's flat top right out of the box at least. 
Maybe I'm wrong.

Used both optics and prefer the Aimpoint. The 4 MOA Aimpoint dot is just as fast for target aquisition for me as the Eotech "Circle Of Death", which I personally find "busy". 

Personally seen a few EO's go down in gun classes too, but maybe that's sheer coincidence. Many LE's and military folks have used them "operationally" without any problems.     

Both Eotech and Aimpoint have reportedly wonderful customer service depts. Eotech hooked up a dear friend of mine who's older "F" model 552 went down and EO not only replaced it promptly, but even upgraded him to the new (then) "G" model.   

The new Aimpoint T1 may just be the best optic I've ever seen. LONG battery life, compact, and rugged. Darn thing can be mounted up on most any weapon system too. Pistols, AR's, shotguns, bolt guns, etc.
It's an amazing optic so far, to be sure.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The new Aimpoint T1 may just be the best optic I've ever seen. LONG battery life, compact, and rugged. Darn thing can be mounted up on most any weapon system too. Pistols, AR's, shotguns, bolt guns, etc.
It's an amazing optic so far, to be sure.   

BEHOLD......
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 16:20
have used both types and there is also a difference in just turning them on and off, you may find likeable, both types main advantage is the 1x or non magnification, and both types will loose there color on red brick backrounds, heres a good alternative. works as a black reticle in bright light and red reticle in dark, fast transition between multiple targets from dark to light is the smoothest (for me) of the others--- leo prismatic with tactical reticle.

Edited by Dale Clifford - February/15/2009 at 16:21
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 01:34
I dont really care for the circle dot type of reticle. I really like the amber and red triange and chevron reticles in the Trijicon ACOG  scopes like TA442

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic