OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 - you guys were right!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 - you guys were right!
    Posted: February/08/2009 at 12:03
I bought/sold and moved some scopes around on some of my firearms and wanted something bigger on my M77 .243 for coyotes, chucks, and light deer. Your guys led me from the Burris I was originally headed towards and convinced me the Elite 4200 was as good as I could get for the money. I thought the 3x9 would be good enough for the three species above but wasn't too fond of a matte finish scope on my shiny Ruger. Then I stumbled across a used 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 that was gloss finish and in mint condition and at a good price. Holy crap this scope is clear. I own both Swarovski and Leica bins as well as 3 Redfield Illuminators and this 4200 rocks! Thanks guys for pointing me into the right direction.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 12:16
I think they are one of the best scope bargins out there today.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 13:47
Thats why I have four so far.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 14:36
I think you will find that the 4200's are also highly reliable as well--in my experience more reliable than some scopes that cost more.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 14:57
Glad your happy, good value for the money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 15:16
I have to concur with John Barsness, not that I wouldn't, in that my only reason for changing over to Elites was not just because I found them better optically than the scopes I replaced them with. The 4200's track better and hold zero better than the Leupold scopes I was using previously.
motoxleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 16:25
Id like to join in here with a question.
How well does the Bushnell 4200 perform in low light and bad weather?  I think the 50mm target model looks sweet. Is it close to 50mm Leupold and Zeiss in brightness?
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 23:29
Buy the 4200 Elite and compare it to some Leupolds. If you dont like it then you can send it to Bushnell within one year and get a full refund for what you paid for the scope. I assume they still have the 1 year satisfaction gaurantee. I have never a 50mm Bushnell or anything else in 50mm. I can say that my 4200 in 40mm was just as bright as my Zeiss Conquest in 40mm with the only difference being that the Zeiss was a little sharper and crisper in resouloution during the daytime. I do like the Zeiss reticle better though since it was thicker.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:08
Zeiss Conquest has a slight edge in brightness , I prefer the 4200 firefly reticle which is plenty thick and works better for hunting conditions. 
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 23:18
maybe I should test out that 4200 again, the crosshair was blury in the shop while a zeiss conquest was very clear, I might have to try both of them outdoors before I decide which one to get
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 23:19
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

Zeiss Conquest has a slight edge in brightness , I prefer the 4200 firefly reticle which is plenty thick and works better for hunting conditions. 

I read that the firefly gimmic only works after you shine a flashlight in the scope... is that true?   if so, that would be kinda useless for hunting
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 06:40
Yes that is true they send you a little flashlight with a scope purchase. I bought a 3x9x50 for a 7MM and so far it's been great. What I done was use the light about an hour before dark. The firefly lights up great......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic