OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My MOA Changed?????????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My MOA Changed?????????
    Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:24
I got me a Leupy mk4 6.5x20x50 for xmas.

It said it had 70 total moa R-L, and U-D
Got it home checked it unmounted got 35 up 35 down, and 35 right 35 left. 70 moa
Would not turn anymore.
Factory zero, spot on, happy camper.

Got it mounted now (this is were it gets good)
The scope has 39 up, and 33 down. 72 moa
                        44 right, and 37 left. 81 moa

The scope still has the factory zero, has not been zeroed for the rilfe yet. Nothing has changed but mounting it.

Why is this going on, seemed weird to me but i am new to scopes also. I had it installed by a local gunsmith while he showed me how its done proper. I have enough knowledge to do it, but being a expensive scope i figured let a pro show me.

Any suggestions?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 23:11
Looks like the rings may have squashed the tube just a little. Remember A Professional is a person that gets payed for a service. Not if they know what they are doing. Clown

Edited by 3_tens - February/06/2009 at 23:14
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 07:30
+1, the scope tube has been compromised. the rings might not be straight with each other. this is one of the reasons the Burris rings with the inserts are an excellent mounting system.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:46
   OOOOOOPS!  Shocked

Edited by rifle looney - February/07/2009 at 09:46
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 10:31
The Mk 4 tubes are pretty tough. I'm not sure what is going on here but good quality rings like Badger Ordanace or Leu Mk 4 rings ARMS, GG&G, LaRue, Smith Enterprises rarely have problems. What rings did you use?  He may have crushed it by applying too much pressure tightening it down.  This may be a call Leupold and ask type of question.  This does not sound good.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 10:59
The best rings to fit my needs were the nightforce rings they had, and also a badger ordanance base.
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 11:09
The guy who did it for me is a family friend who is a good gunsmith, competive shooter, and a advanced markmanship trainer at Ft. Knox. I have known this guy for a long time, he knows what hes doing. 

He put everything together with the right tools, and only screwed the cap screws on the rings to 10 in/lbs because he knew once i got to the farm i would need to change it a little to get proper eye relief. The right lbs for everything is supposed to be 15in/lbs. So i cant understand why it crush the tube.

Maybe the rings need to be lapped, they are Nightforce UL rings.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 16:17
Doesn't sound like a ring problem.

You sure you didn't lose count, with all that spinning and clicking and whatnot?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 16:19
positive
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 17:03
You mentioned you would need to change them when you got it home, you did use a wrench calibrated in inch pounds and not foot pounds like the common torque wrench.
Just a thought
Duce  Smile
Duce
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 18:11
Ok - you figure the guy knew what he was doing.  No next step take it to the range and do the box test and check the scope using a large paper target at 100.  See if the adjustments seem to work correctly and repeatedly.  From your zero go up say 10moa fire right 10moa fire down 10moa fire left 10 moa fire.  Then try it to the left of center if it is repeatable and seems to work right check your count again. Some range time will tell better than anything if it was working correctly.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 18:17
To me it sounds like the rings were not perfectly round, so there is slight tube deformation know that allows just a touch more travel.  Did the gunsmith lap the rings?

Another possibility is that when you were doing the original click counting you worked it in a little.  Perhaps, if you tried counting again before mounting the scope in the rings it would already be different.

If the scope holds zero and adjusts true, I would not worry about it too much.

Alternatively, you could just send me the scope for hmmm...  further investigation.  It should not take me more than a year or two get to the bottom of itDevil

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 18:36
Alternatively, you could just send me the scope for hmmm...  further investigation.  It should not take me more than a year or two get to the bottom of itDevil

And that is why he is The Dark Lord of Optics!!!!     LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic