OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Legend?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Legend?
    Posted: February/06/2009 at 20:43
Hi, everyone. New member here, love the forum.  I just bought my first centerfire rifle, and need a decent scope for as far under $200 as I can.  The 5-15x40 legend seems to fill the bill.  I will using this rifle for target and long range varminting.

Okay, now tell me why I'm right or wrong.  Any suggested alternatives would be appreciated. 

Guess I should say I'll probably never shoot more than 300-400 yards.  The rifle is a .243 Win.

Thanks.

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:00
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now
I would add a little more money and have one of these with target knobs so you can dial in correction for trajectory compensation.  If you really need to keep the price down I'd buy this in fact I have one of each of these scopes and they have worked very well.
SI39X40MD Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope                                                                                           Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $119.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:12

I will be using this rifle for song dogs as well.  I am a little leary of going with a fixed power that high because of possibility of unexpected short range shots.  I have used fixed powers all my life on my hunting rifles.  I would like to stay with a variable.  when I first purchased this rifle, I had a much bigger projected budget for this project.  The sightron scopes had been a finalist in my search when this was the case.  Are the s1 scopes the same quality as the s2 line?  Whatever I choose now will eventually be upgraded to better glass anyway.

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:13
  First off,WELCOME to ya!  I've used a couple of the lower power Legends and for the money they're decent scopes. But as the old saying goes ya get what ya pay for and once you start adding anything above the basics to a low priced scope you may not be satisfied. Since your being honest about your probable shooting distance and application I'd suggest this:  http://www.swfa.com/pc-8352-184-bushnell-10x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx
   10X is plenty of magnification even if you would decide to shoot out past 400yds. Plus its simply a much higher grade scope with much better optics than the lower priced variables with the features of this scope.  

You guys are quick! No fixed powers? OK  I've got an SI 3-9x40 with plex. Real NICE scope.

Edited by 300S&W - February/06/2009 at 21:18
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:25

Well Sightron obviously doesnt think the S1 and S2 are equal. I think the S1 is a really nice scope for what it costs and I use the mil dots for hold over points.  3.6 inches between each mil at 100 yds so know your trajectory and do the math. You will never regret the S1 it will wind up on something even if its a 22mag it will allways be one you will like for the price.  You really have to decide what features are most important to you, as there are lots of things that can be nice and useful but I guarantee this S1 will kill all the game you can stand to drag home.  If you cant live with a fixed power to me the next logical step up is a 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200.  Up from that are scopes with special reticles or illuminated  or target knobs.  Koshkin told me the Sightron SIII is the best glass coming out of Japan.  I've never had an SIII but I'd love to some day when Im rich and famous. Roll on Floor Laughing

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:33

The Bushnell website says the 10x has parallax set at 100 yds.  From the wealth of information I have gained from this forum, parallax has a negligible effect while hunting.  How will lack of parallax adjustment affect me while shooting at 200 or 300 yard paper targets?  Does anyone know the minimum distance that a 10x can be successfully used?

Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:33
I have the exact Bushnell Legend you're interested in on my .204 Ruger.  For the price, the glass is actually pretty impressive.  My only complaint is the turret mechanisms are really stiff and the clicks are sorta mushy.  Sure, there are much better scopes but I'd definitely recommend it to someone on a budget.
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:56
That s1 3-9x40 has my curiosity up.  I hadn't considered it because of some less than glowing remarks I have read about them.  I was under the impression that the s1 line was lacking as far as optical quality, and that the s2 line was a major upgrade in glass.  I see that the rating scale has them equal.  Thank you for that suggestion, I will look into this scope further.  The price point on this scope is pretty good. 
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 22:59
Is the 3200 10x worth the extra $ compared to the S1 3-9x40 as far as optical quality?  After studying both scopes, (3200 10x & S1 3-9 vs. legend 5-15x40), I agree I'm better off with quality glass than high mag. S1 would be great on my 10/22 when I upgrade later.  The 3200 would be good for paper villains, but not so much for tree rats.  This forum's own scale rates them as equal.  Has anyone owned both to know the better of the two? It's only 60 bucks, but if quality of optics is the same, why spend the extra, only to replace it 12-18 months later for better glass?  Thanks for all previous replies, by the way.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 06:19
I would go with  the 3-9 sightron.  1 not a fixed.  2 will be replaced, spend the money on the upgrade better glass and more power. 3 its a dam good scope that you can put on any rifle !!
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 07:36
  I've both an SI (3-9x40) and an SII (1.5-6X42). The SII has the better glass but the SI is GOOD. Clear,no edge distortion,and bright. My only complaint about the SI is the eye relief. Mine is NOWHERE near factory specs. I've had it mounted and checked it and used the flashlight/paper method to measure it and the e/r is just not there. Some I've talked with say their e/r is at factory specs but mine's definitly not. It would work ok on a light kicker though.
  As far as squirrel hunting w/10X,I had that SI on a .22 until recently and it stayed on 9X. I had no problem popping squackers close or far.. My opinion is still to go with the 10X 3200 as I believe it's of better quality all around.
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:05
I've read some reviews, and several forum pages about both scopes.  I have seen more complaints about the s1, and now an eye relief issue.  The 3200 gets better press just about everywhere.  That's probably my best bet for what I have to spend.  I see the 3-9 is only $175.  That might be a better choice down the road, but I'm not real thrilled with the multi-x reticule.  I like the mil-dot concept of the 10x for the longer ranges.  I think those are my two choices.  Thanks for your input everyone.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:09
 NO problem! PLEEZE let us know what ya decide and how it works out,if ya would.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 19:57

I have a Bushnell Legend 3-9x40 on a 300WSM and the scope is fully multi coated.I would put it as bright as my 3-9x40 3200.The Sightron SI is a good scope with best warranty in the business.If your budget is way below $200 you can find a good deal on any of these scopes.I even seen Nikon Buckmasters for less than $150 on ebay so if your on a tight budget you most likely would be able to find a good deal.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic