OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NIKON MONARCH 2.5X10X50  OR SIGHTRON BIGSKY 3.5X10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIKON MONARCH 2.5X10X50 OR SIGHTRON BIGSKY 3.5X10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIKON MONARCH 2.5X10X50 OR SIGHTRON BIGSKY 3.5X10
    Posted: February/06/2009 at 19:50
WHICH SCOPE ,IF PUT SIDE BY SIDE  WOULD BE THE BEST AS FAR AS BRIGHTNESS, CLARITY AND CLEARNESS/ WHAT RETICLE  WOULD BE THE EASYNESS  TO SEE ABOUT DARK  TO HUNT WITH ON EACH SCOPE/
countryboy appreciates
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:04

Neither:

TR22R Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $806.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
grumpy04730 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy04730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:26

I don't have a Nikon in that size to compare but I own three 3.5x10x50 Sightrons and swear buy them for use in low light. I did own a 2.5x10x44 Nikon and it was a very nice scope. Two weeks ago while hunting cyotoes at night We were checked by a Game Warden with the TR 22 Trijicon that was mentioned in this post buy Urimaginaryfrnd after comparing equipment I think there might be a Trijicon in my future. Good glass and I really like the red triangle it seems to be very fast to get on target with it.

countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 11:53
Come ON GUYS,LET ME KNOW SOMETHING ON THIS/I  FIGURE I WOULD GET SOME HONEST INFO. ON THIS/
countryboy appreciates
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 12:21
I have the Big Sky in a 4-16X42 and love it.  I cannot speak for the low light capabilities of the Monarch as I've only looked through them in good daylight, but have heard/read good things about them.  That being said, I think you might have a hard time finding a better scope in the price range than the Big Sky.  They are tough, track very well and do well without much light.  There aren't alot of reticle choices with these, but I do just fine with the plex and think you would too.  Just stay away from the target dot.  I had one of those and that darned dot does a magic disappearing act in low light.
Hopefully Koshkin will reply to your post too.  He is quite knowlegeable about both of them.
But, my vote would definitely be for the Sightron. 
Hope this helps and let us know what you go with.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 12:29
I'm not sure about the Sightron as I don't own one. I do however trust the opinions of several here that I know own them. It is a good scope for the money spent. The Nikon is a good scope for the money as well. I own a 2.5-10X 44 Monarch X. The glass is very nice, and it does well in low light. From what I can gather they will be too close to call one better than the other.
Now as far as reticles go. You will want one that has a thick post, and center for low light use. Or you will want one that is illuminated. The answers you were given above from others are honest, and trust worthy.
The Trijicon is a good scope for lowlight use. 
the Monarch and Sightron plex reticles are too close to call from what I can cipher out. Neither will give any real advantage over the other in low light.
If you are that concerned about low light use then you should consider something with a low light reticle.
Bushnell has a fire fly reticle which works well.
Trijicon is perhaps the very best lowlight reticle which isn't electronically illuminated.
IOR has a good electronically illuminated reticle.
Burris makes decent Electronically illuminated reticles as well.
This is about as honest a forum as you will ever find anywhere. The posters here will do all they can to lead you in the right direction. It comes with one caviat. You have to listen and heed what the recommendations are.
I hope that this helps.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 19:21
THANKS FELLARS,THIS IS HELPING,BUT MAYBE KOSHKIN AND OTHERS WILL SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.
countryboy appreciates
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 20:25
Sightron vs Nikon?You should buy the Sightron Big Sky which in my opinion is the best optics out of Japan.Consider buying an Illuminated Reticle, the firefly is nice and works my advise is to practice with your scope on targets at low light and see what works for you.My hunting scope for over ten years was an Redfield Ultimate Illuminator 3-9x56 30mm tube.With todays optics like the Big Sky the Illuminator is now retired.Take the time and practice The Big Sky is a winner!!!  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 23:37
Between those two, I think Sightron S2 Big Sky is a better scope.

Unfortunately, neither Monarch nor S2 Big Sky offer much in terms of thick reticles designed for low light.

With Sightron, the best low light scope they have is the much more expensive S3 3.5-10x56 with lit #4 reticle.

In the price range similar to the S2 Big SKy and Monarch, I think the ebst low light scope is Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 with 30mm tube, #4 reticle and illuminated dot:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic