OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Diascope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Diascope
    Posted: April/08/2005 at 14:55
How does this spotting scope compare to a Leica or Swarovski spotter?
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2005 at 15:33
I am looking to buy a new spotting scope and have narrowed down my choices to: Zeiss Diascope 65mm or 85mm, Leica Televid 77mm or the Swarovski STS 65mm or 80mm. I am still deciding whether to go with a more compact 65mm spotter or get the bigger 80-85mm spotting scope for better low light viewing. I am interested in any opinions on this.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2005 at 22:44

By the time you get to the high end scopes you are talking about here, there really is no discernable difference in quality. The optics world is just to dang competetive for one scope to truly outclass another in the same price range. Your decision is going to have to be based on personal preferences and aesthetics. Any opinions one way or the other are going to be comparable to asking someone who likes big trucks which is better; Ford, Dodge, or Chevy.  Everyone who has an opinion is sure they are right, and yet there are so many others who will say just the opposite.

Look at the setup of the controls. Which seem more intuitively placed?  Which scope focuses the way you like? Which is the lightest. Which fits in your backpack better? Will the scope mount to your camera? How easy is it to mount to your tripod?  Can you attach it to a window mount without dreading the weight will crack the glass?  etc. etc. etc.

Some of these things may not be important to you and you may have other things that you can think of that I have not.  The point is you have to come up with these things and make your decision based on them.  You will never get an unbiased, scientifically verifiable comparison that identifies one of them as being better than any of the others.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2005 at 23:20
I have a Leica 62mm APO and I would probably agree with Luczniks comments although I have not been able to compare them side by side.  I have read rave reviews on all of these scopes.  I will say that the Zeiss really seems to be the best value.  It has flouride glass as a standard feature.  With Swarovski and Leica, it is an extra $400 for the HD or APO glass.  I have flouride glass in my Leica but I don't know how much difference it really makes, I doubt much at all.  I just saw where the Swarovski HD version was over $2000.  To me that is getting to high for a scope.  Also the Zeiss and Leica have a coarse and fine focus.  I like that feature although I use the fine focus most of the time and it is very smooth and precise.  The larger scopes do offer an optical advantage, however at the expense of increased bulk and weight.  I would definately try to look at them first hand.  I will say that the Leica 62mm is probably the most compact and streamlined of the three and its controls and perfectly placed.   Hope this helps.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2005 at 22:28
Thanks for the comments guys. I will be comparing these models side by side and evaluate them for myself. I have already looked through a Zeiss Diascope 15-45x65mm at a dealer I frequent and I really liked the optics and its compact size. I have not had a chance to look through the Leica yet but will definitely give it a look, when I get the chance. One thing I have not decided on yet is whether I should go with the 20-60 power or 15-45. The only drawbacks I can see with the higher magnification range is that it comes in a bulkier package and may be less crisp at the highest magnification. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic