OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Gen Burris XTR-14?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grywlfbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Gen Burris XTR-14?
    Posted: February/05/2009 at 16:03
All,

Just found this forum.  I'm a 3-gun competitor and I've fallen in love w/ the reticle in the Burris XTR-14.  However, I've read that the illumination washes out in daylight.  There were rumors that Burris was coming out with a new version with brighter illumination.  Anyone heard about this?  Is it true?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 20:53
Why do you need illumination during the day?  I have the XTR 3-12 with illum.  So far I haven't seen much washout during the day unless you are looking almost right at the sun.  There is some, but not a lot.  That being said, I don't use it during the day.  The reticle is thick enough that it is fine even for low light if you want.  The illum is great for low light and night hunting of coyotes.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 20:57
I have not heard those rumors.  You could call Burris and ask them.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
grywlfbg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grywlfbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 23:53
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Why do you need illumination during the day?  I have the XTR 3-12 with illum.  So far I haven't seen much washout during the day unless you are looking almost right at the sun.  There is some, but not a lot.  That being said, I don't use it during the day.  The reticle is thick enough that it is fine even for low light if you want.  The illum is great for low light and night hunting of coyotes.

For 3-gun competition.  Daytime illumination makes for faster target acquisition than a black reticle.  Think reflex site like an EOTech.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 07:41
Makes sense.  Do you have the Burris yet, or are you still looking at it?  I will take mine out again this weekend and look at it in bright daylight to see about washout to make sure.

Welcome to the OT.  Hope you enjoy it here.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
grywlfbg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grywlfbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 16:25
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Makes sense.  Do you have the Burris yet, or are you still looking at it?  I will take mine out again this weekend and look at it in bright daylight to see about washout to make sure.

Welcome to the OT.  Hope you enjoy it here.

I haven't bought one yet.  I feel in love with the reticle just from pictures - a good friend has a Meopta K-Dot but I don't like that it doesn't have a BDC.  

So I've just been browsing around the Net looking for people's experiences and the washing out seems to be a common complaint but I don't know what people are expecting, etc.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.  Also, if it does wash out is there still a black horseshoe or does it fade out?

Thanks for the welcome.  Bought stuff from SWFA for years but just found the forums. Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic